Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 50
11:55 AM on 02/21/13
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
I don't like this though. the hot 100 should be a reflection on how much is being sold/legally streamed. there's a billboard youtube chart for a reason.
12:00 PM on 02/21/13
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.
Yeah, I don't think Harlem shake deserves to go to number 1 because of this chart because it's not like every one of those dance videos is a music video for the song, it's a thirty second clip. I don't agree with that.
12:04 PM on 02/21/13
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.
Yeah they definitely gave youtube streams far too much weight in the new format. There's no way Harlem Shake. It probably wasn't even close to the top in sales or radio play. should be one 21 songs in the 55 year history of the Hot 100 to debut at number 1.

EDit: the good thing about this though is that we'll be seeing some awesome youtube music videos in he next few years from people trying to capitalize on this

Edit 2: Fun. gets their third straight top 20 song this week too.

Final Edit: After looking at the whole Hot 100, this youtube thing screws with the format way too much. Songs jumping by 50-60 places week by week, and songs that don't have quite the same video views dropping 20 to 30 places week by week. After viewing this entire week's chart as a whole, I must say I'm not a fan of this change. I mean if the youtube chart has slightly less weight it would be good.
12:12 PM on 02/21/13
EndlessPrisoner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Psy is pissed at this turn of events. A few months ago he would've gone number 1. Anyway does this include Harlem shake?
harlem shake is also to #1 on itunes soooo
12:27 PM on 02/21/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
I'm torn. On one hand it modernizes the chart to better represent what Americans are listening to. However, it could also be the death of steady growers (tracks that have been out for some time and slowly worked their way up), and instead replaced by the newest viral trends.

Also, the inflated YouTube plays due to bots/etc. is probably an issue.
12:32 PM on 02/21/13
Fame<Infamy
gonna bang bang fuck you up
User Info.
I'm torn. On one hand it modernizes the chart to better represent what Americans are listening to. However, it could also be the death of steady growers (tracks that have been out for some time and slowly worked their way up), and instead replaced by the newest viral trends.

Also, the inflated YouTube plays due to bots/etc. is probably an issue.
This got me thinking; seeing as how Americans make up a fraction of YouTube plays, what effect will that have on the Billboard Hot 100? Will the views from people in, say, Asia count towards an artist's chart position?
12:38 PM on 02/21/13
mattregan
www.twitter.com/vipregan
User Info.
Shone is going to be number one soon, because of this.
12:39 PM on 02/21/13
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
Worth noting: There are now three components that make up the Hot 100 now. YouTube will be the lowest-weighted component, behind sales (#1) and radio play (#2)

Interesting.

yet big machine thinks it's a brilliant idea not including it on streaming services. sucks for them.

It really worked for them when the album came out. It makes no sense now.

Final Edit: After looking at the whole Hot 100, this youtube thing screws with the format way too much. Songs jumping by 50-60 places week by week, and songs that don't have quite the same video views dropping 20 to 30 places week by week. After viewing this entire week's chart as a whole, I must say I'm not a fan of this change. I mean if the youtube chart has slightly less weight it would be good.

Yeaaa. Well The Harlem Shake has a lot to do with this, as Billboard, says:

"Billboard is now incorporating all official videos on YouTube captured by Nielsenís streaming measurement, including Vevo on YouTube, and user-generated clips that utilize authorized audio into the Hot 100 and the Hot 100 formula-based genre chart."

Meaning if I use a Mumford and Sons song audio clip in a video I do and it's authorized by the label, then it counts as a hit for Mumford and Sons, even if it's like 20 seconds. So "The Harlem Shake" is #1: A) Because it actually did sell after last week. B) Because it was averaging about 4,000 videos a day using that 30 second clip. It makes sense, but I still don't like it.
01:46 PM on 02/21/13
Manufactured Dreams
Fabricated Revolution
User Info.
The first baby step towards making these charts interesting again. Can't wait to see the full scale overhaul in the future.
My thoughts exactly. This should shake things up a bit.
02:45 PM on 02/21/13
Quijiba
User Info.
Overall I do think its about time to have youtube views count toward the top 100 but the bots and hacks do make this ridiculous in a lot of ways
03:01 PM on 02/21/13
Who Is Ryan?
???
User Info.
This is gonna be a mess tbh.
03:23 PM on 02/21/13
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
Overall I do think its about time to have youtube views count toward the top 100 but the bots and hacks do make this ridiculous in a lot of ways
https://twitter.com/bwerde/status/304702691010019328
03:36 PM on 02/21/13
kbomb001
Jesus Saves
User Info.
do Spotify and Rdio plays count?
i hope they do soon
03:38 PM on 02/21/13
Quijiba
User Info.
I don't like this though. the hot 100 should be a reflection on how much is being sold/legally streamed. there's a billboard youtube chart for a reason.
if you combine them though those that are getting a lot of attention on youtube may also get some sales purely from exposure on the billboard charts.
04:49 PM on 02/21/13
mrgenious
in her arms you will never starve
User Info.
Shone is going to be number one soon, because of this.
let's get Baby Shakes to #1.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version