AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Hellbound Hearts - 02.21.13

Interviewed by
Hellbound Hearts - 02.21.13The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Hellbound Hearts

http://www.facebook.com/wearehellboundhearts

Answers by Danny Lambert (guitars, vocals)

1. How did you get your band name?

It is taken from the title of the Clive Barker short story that got made into the film Hellraiser. I'm a big horror movie fan and Hellraiser is up there in my top 5 movies

2. How did this band get started?

I had been writing a lot of material after my last band ground to a halt in late 2009, and after leaving Bradford, I decided to start fresh and met up with a few people in bands from around York and Leeds. The band went through several line up changes, I started on bass originally, but as things developed and the band found its identity and sound, all the pieces fell into place with me, Jase and Andy.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

We have a lot of influences so its hard to pinpoint specific bands that have influenced the sound. Andy and Jase are into a lot of blues-based groove rock, where as I'm more into heavy guitars and strong melodies. A recent review of a show said we were like the unhinged offspring of The Wildhearts and Therapy which isnt the worst thing they could have said!

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

I would have loved to tour with the Foo Fighters when they first started out. They played pretty much constantly for 2 years or so and that's the best way to get in front of new people and make new fans. There is no substitute for hard work on the road. I would also love to do a tour opening for Volbeat, because again, they work really hard and play a lot of shows.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Andy alway tends to have a pack of chicken stashed somewhere which is handy, but its really easy to eat really badly on the road. The killer is packet sandwiches and Burger King at 3AM from a service station, and the kind of stuff that you can leave in the van and eat later, so the best food is always the good food you get occasionally when you get a few hours between sound check and doors and can go out into which ever city or town you are in and find a good food pub!

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Because we aren't pretending to be anything we are not. What you see (and hear) is what you get, and I hope that people can identify with that in the music and in us. We are not riding any wave or fad of what is considered "cool" at the moment, and after the dust settles on the next popular guitar based genre, we will still be here, doing what we do.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Alice Cooper, he's a great golfer!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Well, after the obvious family, etc., etc., I would thank Jase and Andy for putting up with my terrible OCD, and mostly I would thank our manager and label, as they both must be really good to have gotten a band like us to the Grammys!

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I would erase all the harm that Simon Cowell and the 15 minutes of fame, sell them then drop them TV shows have created over the last decade and get things back to where labels believed in the bands they signed and allowed them to develop, so that mediocrity was no longer considered acceptable.

10. Memorable tour experience?

So far, opening for Terrorvision at a sold out Bristol Fleece last October. The place was so full you could barely get to the stage, and the gig itself was great, we were really well received and had a great night.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

The site is the go-to place for the latest news across several genres, and the very fact that the makers of the site understand that people have varied musical tastes is a great thing.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Sinking Ship is a great one to play live, lots of energy, but every song has its own charm.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Anywhere with very few people and no noise!

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Music hit my life right at the point of Britpop, so all the British bands from that era remind me of my teenage years.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Invisibility, because you could go anywhere, and as long as you didn't bump into someone, they would never know you were there.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

You don't really get time to do rituals when you are on a 5-band bill with 15-minute change overs and no crew, but I do always play in the same pair of shoes.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

If we said, then they would know!

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

The digital rock stations that have appeared over the past few years in the UK are great and give rock music an extra place to exist on the airwaves. Stations like Radio 1 do ebb and flow with whatever is fashionable, but with the right DJ behind the band, I'm sure we could find an audience on mainstream radio.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Catch up on everything we haven't done whilst we have been away touring, rehearsing or writing.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Jase is a world class mediator, Andy can roll a cigarette in a hurricane and I'm a rally driver.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests