AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Chantry - Now I Know EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Chantry - Now I Know EP

Reviewed by: Joe DeAndrea (02/21/13)
Chantry - Now I Know EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: March 5th, 2013

For the past 6 months or so, The Cab has been in the studio day in and day out completing their third full length album. Even though its been non-stop for the recent Republic Records signees, it hasn't kept the members from sticking only to Cab related work. Vocalist Alex DeLeon has recently been writing/recording with acts such as Cody Simpson and The Wanted, but The Cab's secret weapon resides in guitarist Chantry Johnson and the standalone work of his own.

Johnson joined the band back in August of 2012, and while The Cab has fallen victim to “band member musical chairs” over the years, it's safe to say Johnson will be sticking around for good. He's already proven his value after taking over on vocal duties for Cab shows this past December when DeLeon fell ill, and the multi-instrumentalist is further showcasing his repertoire of talents with his debut solo EP, Now I Know. The five track collection is very heavy on high energy pop, but with no lack of substance. Pristine production flourishes throughout, starting with the opener “Tell Me The Truth.” Surrounded by a tropical sounding essence and pounding guitar lines, the track features a massive chorus that is only the tip of the iceberg as for what’s to come.

Even though the effort is solid all around, the high points mostly consist within Johnson's vocals and insanely catchy vocal melodies which, at times, sound like the best melodies Owl City and Mae never wrote ("Dancing With You," "Now I Know"). Standouts include the electronic dance infused "Making Out" and a straight up Top 40 sounding smash in "Me Oh My," rounding out a release that is filled with the kind of sugary goodness that you just don't get tired of listening to. Each song has a sense of familiarity – like maybe you’ve heard it before, but you just don’t mind. Rather, it’s what you prefer, and have no problem replacing what once held that place.

While Chantry Johnson isn't rewriting the script with his new EP, he's still playing the part pretty damn well. Whether or not another release will surface remains to be seen, as his main focus now will be to continue on with The Cab's recording process. However, if his input on the upcoming record is anything similar to what he's shown us here, we're all in for something special.

8.0/10

Track Listing
01) Tell Me The Truth
02) Me Oh My
03) Now I Know
04) Dancing With You
05) Making Out
Recommended if you like: Owl City, The Higher, Chris Wallace

Facebook - Twitter

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums