AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Recording News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Why Your First Mix is Likely Your Best

Posted by - 02:33 PM on 02/22/13
Came across an interesting article talking about how the first or second mix of a song, is usually the best one. The video in the replies talking about mixing Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" - which went through 91 mixes and ended up landing on the second one - is compelling audio nerd stuff.
But what happens with each minor “enhancement” is a gradual loss of perspective. I’m sure that by mix 20 they were already so far removed from the first few mixes, but didn’t realize it. They were making small, gradual tweaks. Isn’t that what we do? We keep firing open our DAW, making some more tweaks, and saving the session. We think the mix is OK, but it will get better with time. In reality, we’re just loosing perspective and forgetting what the mix really should sound like.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
02:34 PM on 02/22/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
02:37 PM on 02/22/13
wall e
Beware of hitchhiking ghosts!
User Info.
I thought was going to be about mix tapes, in which case mine had songs from Disney rides and wrestling intros. Arguably my best though.
02:39 PM on 02/22/13
ibelieveinjake
i have a headache
User Info.
Not completely buying into this one. The best advice is about commitment - make sure the arrangement of the song is good first, because that isn't something that can be "fixed" by even the best mix.

But that being said, my first mix is never my best. I test it out on multiple sets of speakers, purely to make sure I'm hearing the levels of kick/bass properly.
02:40 PM on 02/22/13
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I thought was going to be about mix tapes, in which case mine had songs from Disney rides and wrestling intros. Arguably my best though.
Same for me, when I accidentally put "Living on a Prayer" on it twice.
02:44 PM on 02/22/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Same for me, when I accidentally put "Living on a Prayer" on it twice.
Mixtape virginity lost?
02:51 PM on 02/22/13
Micah511
Let's Talk About Your Hair
User Info.
does burning extra copies of my Creed CDs in case i lost my originals count as a 'mixtape'?
03:14 PM on 02/22/13
brighteye
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
does burning extra copies of my Creed CDs in case i lost my originals count as a 'mixtape'?

Thats a mistake, not a mixtape!
03:23 PM on 02/22/13
Fox83
User Info.
Love the stories some of these engineers have.
03:35 PM on 02/22/13
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
yup, i typically stick with my first or second mixes. if i keep redoing im going to get further from what i'm going for.
04:49 PM on 02/22/13
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
I thought this guy looked like Wildford Brimley. Thanks Google.
05:30 PM on 02/22/13
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Sending this to my producer bro who's taking a while
05:42 PM on 02/22/13
cshadows2887
User Info.
Yeah, if you're Bruce Swedien, using your first mix is great. Most amateur musicians self-recording should not, as they're not industry legends with years and years of experience.
06:17 PM on 02/22/13
sweethypocrisy
ortizshow.podbean.com
User Info.
mildly relevant, Ken Lewis likes to do a thing he calls the "10 minute mix drill". the goal is to take your tracks, completely dry, pull all the faders all the way down and give yourself 10 minutes to mix the song. you really lose perspective when you sit and try to eq the bass drum for 3 hours. obviously he doesnt submit these as final mixes but its a good exercise for learning whats really important in the mix, the balance of all the levels not all the plug ins and such. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UQjqbz2NpQ
07:44 PM on 02/22/13
danperez
User Info.
This also translates as a life philosophy.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos