AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 4
Displaying posts 45 - 53 of 53
06:28 PM on 02/28/13
RHCP43
User Info.
Just watched and it seemed like the audio was overdubbed to me. Something just seemed off about it.
06:56 PM on 02/28/13
ben mears
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I mean...Brian definitely does not have a "good" technical voice, but it works and usually sounds a lot better than in that video.

Having seen them live, I can attest to the fact that no, they do not in fact "absolutely blow live." Check it:

No offense meant to either of you, but if you're standing there with your arms crossed muttering under your breath about how bad the dude's voice sounds at a Japandroids show then a.) you're probably missing the point and b.) you must be a ton of fun to go to shows with. Two cents.
seeing a band live, i mean actually being there and not watching a live performance on youtube, are two completely different things. when you are actually watching a band live, all 5 senses getting massive sensory input combined with the overly loud music kind of "hides" the shittiness of bands. for example, i saw finch several times back in the day and i thought they were absolutely amazing and sounded just like their albums. but watch any live finch song on youtube and they are horrendous.

i don't think i'm missing the point. i'm pretty sure these guys do this for a living and have no side job. to put it another way, they get paid to make and play music. just how i expect a chef to be able to cook, i expect musicians to be able to perform.

and 'll admit those videos aren't too bad. but it looks like they were professionally filmed. and i wouldn't be surprised if the music was "altered" post filming, similar to blink's live album. tom can't sing worth shit either, yet he somehow is able to sing on the live album.

here is a live without any post production alterning. pure atrocious vocals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFD9WONu_ms
10:03 PM on 02/28/13
TENCopeland
whatever
User Info.
i haven't posted on this site in 7 years, but i felt the need to make an appearance for this.

if you think they should get additional musicians for their shows: you don't get the band.

having seen this band twice this year, they are hands down one of my top 3 live bands of all-time. i've seen bands that may play cleaner and better mixed live shows, but the whole point of a show is the energy, and a Japandroids show is never lacking.
09:18 AM on 03/01/13
imjustbettr
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
seeing a band live, i mean actually being there and not watching a live performance on youtube, are two completely different things. when you are actually watching a band live, all 5 senses getting massive sensory input combined with the overly loud music kind of "hides" the shittiness of bands. for example, i saw finch several times back in the day and i thought they were absolutely amazing and sounded just like their albums. but watch any live finch song on youtube and they are horrendous.

i don't think i'm missing the point. i'm pretty sure these guys do this for a living and have no side job. to put it another way, they get paid to make and play music. just how i expect a chef to be able to cook, i expect musicians to be able to perform.

and 'll admit those videos aren't too bad. but it looks like they were professionally filmed. and i wouldn't be surprised if the music was "altered" post filming, similar to blink's live album. tom can't sing worth shit either, yet he somehow is able to sing on the live album.

here is a live without any post production alterning. pure atrocious vocals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFD9WONu_ms
Firstly I'd like to say that the way they performed on Conan was inexcusable.
But you're line about cooks and musicians rubbed me the wrong way. You can't compare the two. Music is subjective and just because a singer doesn't have the greatest voice or sing like you want them too doesnt mean you should count them out. It's the whole package you're looking for. King has even said in a few interviews that he thinks his voice is horrible and that they wanted a lead singer when they started out but never got to it.

I also want to add that punk specifically has an anyone-can-be-in-a-band/DIY/even-if-you-suck mentality.
09:21 AM on 03/01/13
imjustbettr
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i haven't posted on this site in 7 years, but i felt the need to make an appearance for this.

if you think they should get additional musicians for their shows: you don't get the band.

having seen this band twice this year, they are hands down one of my top 3 live bands of all-time. i've seen bands that may play cleaner and better mixed live shows, but the whole point of a show is the energy, and a Japandroids show is never lacking.
EXACTLY! I mean, if they actually added people to their official band I'd get it, but why add more band mates when you don't need them? I guess this conan thing is making people question that.
05:54 PM on 03/01/13
ben mears
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Firstly I'd like to say that the way they performed on Conan was inexcusable.
But you're line about cooks and musicians rubbed me the wrong way. You can't compare the two. Music is subjective and just because a singer doesn't have the greatest voice or sing like you want them too doesnt mean you should count them out. It's the whole package you're looking for. King has even said in a few interviews that he thinks his voice is horrible and that they wanted a lead singer when they started out but never got to it.

I also want to add that punk specifically has an anyone-can-be-in-a-band/DIY/even-if-you-suck mentality.
i think you have it backwards - cooking is subjective and sing is objective.

singing is objective because you can either sing in tune or you can't and he can't sing in tune.
11:16 PM on 03/01/13
TENCopeland
whatever
User Info.
^ sorry but you're wrong. i.e. objectively, Totino's $1 pizzas are terrible. subjectively, i think they're amazing. point being, it's not as black and white as you make it out to be. and for the record, he's been in tune every time i've seen them. just like athletes, musicians can have bad nights.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos