Username
Password
AP.net Related News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 34.
12:28 PM on 02/26/13
bromygod
\_(ツ)_/
User Info.
Wonderful write up. Reminds me why I love this album so much. I know what I'll be listening to all day now!
12:40 PM on 02/26/13
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Really enjoyed reading this, I would love for other albums approaching 20+ anniversaries this year to get features about them as well (crosses fingers for Siamese Dream...).
12:54 PM on 02/26/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.

Thank you, good sir!

What's the difference between God and Bono...?

God doesn't walk around thinking he's Bono.

Cool story bro.

But seriously, I've never understood why people think Bono is so arrogant. He fronts a rock band that routinely plays to stadiums with 100,000 people in them: you NEED at least a little bit of a ego to do that. But I don't think he's any more off-putting than anyone else on that scale.

This isn't an album I know particularly well, but still an album I enjoy. My favourites are probably the more well-known songs, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Two Hearts Beat as One or New Years Day. I've always respected U2, but I've never been able to truly get into them properly. I love a lot of the bands they influenced, and they've got a dozen or so songs that I love, but for whatever reason, they're one of a few 'classic' artists who I don't really listen to much.

I saw them live on the 360 tour in the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff and they were one of the most professional live bands I've ever seen. Really tight, in control of the crowd and just knew exactly how to play a stadium show.

Interesting that you don't really dig that as an "album band." I think that, very often, their singles do overshadow some of the deeper cuts on their albums, but I still think they have more than a few terrific full-lengths under their belts.

But totally agreed on the live point. I don't think anyone does stadium shows better.

I'm going to go re-listen to this album tonight. Great job!
I would love for you to review some Genesis, at some point. Or possibly The Stranger?

The Stranger is certainly on the way, one of these weeks. In my top 20 albums of all time.

Wonderful write up. Reminds me why I love this album so much. I know what I'll be listening to all day now!

That's our goal! Report back with anything we forgot to say.

Really enjoyed reading this, I would love for other albums approaching 20+ anniversaries this year to get features about them as well (crosses fingers for Siamese Dream...).

I'll see what I can do. We don't have a lot of 90s records on the list at this moment in time, though.
02:03 PM on 02/26/13
xJesusFreakx
duh please
User Info.
Great album. I don't visit it that often because the following two albums are my favorites of their, not to mention two of my all-time favorites, but it's possibly my #3 from them. "New Years Day" is my annual New Years jam, and "40" is my favorite U2 closer.
02:44 PM on 02/26/13
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
Another great writeup. Do you guys have a list of the albums you're doing, or is it an as you go along type deal?
02:49 PM on 02/26/13
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Absolutely brilliant read. Thanks for writing it.
03:12 PM on 02/26/13
randomacts
User Info.
That was a great read. I'm going to pick up War after work.
03:29 PM on 02/26/13
barkjon
belle and me
User Info.
amazing read. love this album; probably my favorite release from them.

"Like a Song..." is also a personal favorite U2 track.
04:15 PM on 02/26/13
StreetSpirit76
User Info.
First of all, guys, congratulations on making me actually pay attention to the front page. This is an excellent feature. And very well-written, as it was last week. I've always been taken aback by how much hate U2 seem to get from people of my age bracket, who I guess either aren't familiar with anything prior to All That You Can't Leave Behind or have ears made of tin foil - even if we concede that their newer stuff isn't that great (and I think a lot of it is), that early run of albums is absolutely stellar, one of the greatest in rock. And it starts with War. I got into them, predictably, through "Beautiful Day" and subsequently ATYCLB, but War was the first "classic" album of theirs I ever picked up and I loved it immediately. It's definitely up there among their best, possibly in the top three (Achtung Baby has long been my favorite).

And I've yet to see them live, but god, I'd love to.
05:48 PM on 02/26/13
june182
User Info.
New Year's Eve is such a fantastic song

My favorite U2 song
05:52 PM on 02/26/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Great album. I don't visit it that often because the following two albums are my favorites of their, not to mention two of my all-time favorites, but it's possibly my #3 from them. "New Years Day" is my annual New Years jam, and "40" is my favorite U2 closer.

"MLK" is my favorite U2 closer, especially for how it just functions perfectly as a fade from The Unforgettable Fire into The Joshua Tree. Almost like they could have been two parts of a double album.

Another great writeup. Do you guys have a list of the albums you're doing, or is it an as you go along type deal?

If you look at the introduction piece from a few weeks ago, there's a playlist with songs from each album we initially had on our list. We both picked 30 albums we would like to, at some point cover, before we launched the feature, but I don't think either of us are against adding or subtracting from that list.

Absolutely brilliant read. Thanks for writing it.

That was a great read. I'm going to pick up War after work.

amazing read. love this album; probably my favorite release from them.

"Like a Song..." is also a personal favorite U2 track.

Thanks guys, appreciated. Also, randomacts, have you heard this album before? If not, we would love to hear your initial reactions.

First of all, guys, congratulations on making me actually pay attention to the front page. This is an excellent feature. And very well-written, as it was last week. I've always been taken aback by how much hate U2 seem to get from people of my age bracket, who I guess either aren't familiar with anything prior to All That You Can't Leave Behind or have ears made of tin foil - even if we concede that their newer stuff isn't that great (and I think a lot of it is), that early run of albums is absolutely stellar, one of the greatest in rock. And it starts with War. I got into them, predictably, through "Beautiful Day" and subsequently ATYCLB, but War was the first "classic" album of theirs I ever picked up and I loved it immediately. It's definitely up there among their best, possibly in the top three (Achtung Baby has long been my favorite).

On the subject of their latter day material, I really don't understand how it became a reason to hate this band. I personally love both All That You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb, and think there are some truly stratospheric moments on No Line on the Horizon as well, even though the middle section doesn't hold together all that well. U2 is one of the few bands where I actually like everything they've released. Even Springsteen has a few duds that I almost never revisit, but there's not much in the U2 discography that I actively dislike. Even their 90s run was always interesting. But absolutely, their streak of glory started here.
06:13 PM on 02/26/13
StreetSpirit76
User Info.
On the subject of their latter day material, I really don't understand how it became a reason to hate this band. I personally love both All That You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb, and think there are some truly stratospheric moments on No Line on the Horizon as well, even though the middle section doesn't hold together all that well. U2 is one of the few bands where I actually like everything they've released. Even Springsteen has a few duds that I almost never revisit, but there's not much in the U2 discography that I actively dislike. Even their 90s run was always interesting. But absolutely, their streak of glory started here.

No Line never fully clicked with me but I definitely think it had some excellent moments. And I liked the return to a more experimental, sort of Unforgettable Fire-ish sound. But yeah, I've loved All That You Can't Leave Behind since I was a kid (it might have been the first album I ever bought, actually; it was definitely one of them) and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - initially a disappointment for me - has grown on me a lot over the years. And, again, it's got its share of spectacular moments.

So, yeah, I like everything they've done to a degree. Pop and Zooropa are the only ones I haven't spent enough time with to properly judge. I'd always assumed, based on consensus, they weren't worth the effort, but now that I'm older and know to take reviews with a grain of salt I'm interested to hear how they stack up. Might put them on tonight.
06:26 PM on 02/26/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
No Line never fully clicked with me but I definitely think it had some excellent moments. And I liked the return to a more experimental, sort of Unforgettable Fire-ish sound. But yeah, I've loved All That You Can't Leave Behind since I was a kid (it might have been the first album I ever bought, actually; it was definitely one of them) and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - initially a disappointment for me - has grown on me a lot over the years. And, again, it's got its share of spectacular moments.

So, yeah, I like everything they've done to a degree. Pop and Zooropa are the only ones I haven't spent enough time with to properly judge. I'd always assumed, based on consensus, they weren't worth the effort, but now that I'm older and know to take reviews with a grain of salt I'm interested to hear how they stack up. Might put them on tonight.
I feel the same way about No Line as you do. But goddamn, the first three tracks are fantastic. And it was nice to see them going out on a limb a bit more with their sound. I actually think The Unforgettable Fire is the best parallel to that album: both have consistency issue, but both have dizzying high points. "Bad" is probably my second favorite U2 song.

Pop and Zooropa are a lot better than I think they get credit for. The latter, especially, is a very solid record--albeit, a disjointed one. It's basically a continuation of Achtung Baby, except they go all-in on the weird stuff most of the time. Pop doesn't work quite as well, but still has some terrific moments.
06:29 PM on 02/26/13
Chris Collum
User Info.

Keep posting in these threads man, it's great seeing you around.
07:57 PM on 02/26/13
StreetSpirit76
User Info.
I feel the same way about No Line as you do. But goddamn, the first three tracks are fantastic. And it was nice to see them going out on a limb a bit more with their sound. I actually think The Unforgettable Fire is the best parallel to that album: both have consistency issue, but both have dizzying high points. "Bad" is probably my second favorite U2 song.

Pop and Zooropa are a lot better than I think they get credit for. The latter, especially, is a very solid record--albeit, a disjointed one. It's basically a continuation of Achtung Baby, except they go all-in on the weird stuff most of the time. Pop doesn't work quite as well, but still has some terrific moments.

Yeah, I've heard Zooropa is pretty similar to Achtung Baby (didn't they even include it in the Achtung re-release box?) so I'm excited to give that one a proper listen.

Keep posting in these threads man, it's great seeing you around.

Will do, man. You guys are doing a great job.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests