Username
Password

11:18 AM on 02/26/13 
User Info.
CoopDawg
The plan keeps coming up again...
Black Mesa Research...
G-Man - 22 Years Old
King of Limbs by Radiohead could be a classic eventually. I personally love it, but know a lot of Radiohead fans who hate it.
Like all other Radiohead albums, it just takes time.
User Info.
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
Male - 23 Years Old
Staff Member
very few musical acts ARENT image based in some way, plus what's wrong with going for a certain visual aesthetic with your music? imagery is art, it doesnt take away from it if its done right and it can seriously enhance the experience if its done really well.
That's the thing. It's not "done right".
User Info.
nowFace
We paved the roads.
Southern California
Male - 23 Years Old
Like all other Radiohead albums, it just takes time.

Yup.
11:19 AM on 02/26/13 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
St. Louis, MO
Male - 21 Years Old
Staff Member
That's the thing. It's not "done right".
there are plenty of bands that pull it off well. maybe you arent aware of them or maybe you just dont like them. but that doesnt mean it isnt done well.
11:21 AM on 02/26/13 
User Info.
pennie
GOONER
Baile Átha Cliath
Male
brand new the devil and god
11:30 AM on 02/26/13 
User Info.
icmame11
Brooklyn, NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Dammit. Ya beat me to it.

I think Pinkerton and In Reverie are perfect examples of being poorly received. Their reception also caused both songwriters (Rives Cuomo and Chris Conley respectively) to kind of step back and re-evaluate everything.
11:40 AM on 02/26/13 
User Info.
Coloso
hey
Romaaaaaaa
Male - 23 Years Old
lotta hate towards Death Grips' The Money Store when it came out, I can see it being pretty significant in the future
I think T-Swift's Red will be looked at under a much nicer light, too (or at least should)

uhhh those are the only ones I can think of from last year
11:50 AM on 02/26/13 
User Info.
nowFace
We paved the roads.
Southern California
Male - 23 Years Old
You're implying that T Swifts new album hasn't been praised by everyone? It's all over the radio, and I'm not denying I like a song or two.
11:55 AM on 02/26/13 
User Info.
Maiaophilia
my heart beats pacific -
JAPAAAAAN.
Female - 23 Years Old
12:00 PM on 02/26/13 
User Info.
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
L’Amérique du Nord
Male - 26 Years Old
Scary Kids Scarring Kids first CD was absolutely BLASTED by critics (think it got a 1 in Alternative Press) but I feel it became a relatively well-liked album within the scene since.
12:12 PM on 02/26/13 
User Info.
Every Time I Ty
Daaaaaaaarryl
Ontario
Male - 22 Years Old
Scary Kids Scarring Kids first CD was absolutely BLASTED by critics (think it got a 1 in Alternative Press) but I feel it became a relatively well-liked album within the scene since.
That compelled me to listen to My Darkest Hour again for the first time in like 5 years. Still good.
12:23 PM on 02/26/13 
User Info.
screamoutmyname
through being cool
Pennsylvania
Male - 25 Years Old
I think that Guilt Show by the Get Up Kids was pretty poorly received when it was released... Not sure if it's ever really gotten the recognition that it deserves, but I'll stand behind it.
12:26 PM on 02/26/13 
User Info.
cscwell107
You Will Always Have My Attention
Akron, Oh
Male - 23 Years Old
12:27 PM on 02/26/13 
User Info.
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
Chicago
Male - 25 Years Old
I can't say I see a lot of merit in a lot of these answers, so far. And a couple of them are sort of inaccurate in the sense that we're already at a point where the album's are classics, meaning there is no speculation involved (Pinkerton, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea), or the album was just really highly praised when it came out (Brand New).

That being said, the best response so far has been Sam's Town. But that being said, I'm not trying to bash anyone's selections; just trying to add some input, because I can't really think of anything myself. This is a pretty tough topic. Closest thing I can think of is the last Hot Water Music album, which seemed to divide a lot of their base fans when it was released but I don't see nearly as much criticism when it's discussed now.
12:29 PM on 02/26/13 
User Info.
icmame11
Brooklyn, NY
Male - 25 Years Old
I can't say I see a lot of merit in a lot of these answers, so far. And a couple of them are sort of inaccurate in the sense that we're already at a point where the album's are classics, meaning there is no speculation involved (Pinkerton, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea), or the album was just really highly praised when it came out (Brand New).

That being said, the best response so far has been Sam's Town. But that being said, I'm not trying to bash anyone's selections; just trying to add some input, because I can't really think of anything myself. This is a pretty tough topic. Closest thing I can think of is the last Hot Water Music album, which seemed to divide a lot of their base fans when it was released but I don't see nearly as much criticism when it's discussed now.

I brought up Pinkerton in response to the original question in the thread.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos