AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Post-Grunge? Is That A Thing? Adam Pfleider Discusses...

Posted by: Christian Wagner (02/26/13)
After the emergence of Daylight's new song, Adam Pfleider discussed the emergence of this new post-grunge sound. You can read his editorial here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 207.
07:53 PM on 02/26/13
truthbetoldxx
http://www.milkshakes.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
it's most certainly going to be gaining steam. it seems like a ton of bands are going for the 90's alternative feel. okay by me, 90's music is awesome for the most part. see my avatar for evidence haha
08:07 PM on 02/26/13
AShores93
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Totally agree on his Daylight and Basement comparisons, but I think you can lump Balance & Comp as well as Title Fight into that mix. Floral Green definitely had a grunge vibe, and Separation's louder moments reminded me of Alice in Chains.
08:14 PM on 02/26/13
xMareenx
milk was a bad choice
User Info.
I personally love it. Title Fight, Daylight, B&C, Tigers Jaw, Seahaven ... they all have that vibe. And even a lot of newer pop-punk bands dress and behave like 90's grunge kiddos, *inserts Hullabalooza kids dancing gif*
08:35 PM on 02/26/13
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
User Info.
I love it. Counter revolution to all the electronic music going on perhaps?
09:02 PM on 02/26/13
ITS A TRAP!
ITS PERFECTLY SAFE!
User Info.
post grunge its whats on the rado. post grunge gave us nickleback and creed....the issue was these bands took the PUNK out of grunge. but from what i can tell these guys are pulling influence from the 90s in a good way though and keeping that sense of GRIT in the sound.
flannels and the lumberjack loo and other trappings of "grunge" have been on the rise for at least 4 or 5 years now its not lke this is exactly new.
09:05 PM on 02/26/13
ACA
Next Show: Silverstein @ NYC 4/25
User Info.
post grunge its whats on the rado. post grunge gave us nickleback and creed....the issue was these bands took the PUNK out of grunge. but from what i can tell these guys are pulling influence from the 90s in a good way though and keeping that sense of GRIT in the sound.
flannels and the lumberjack loo and other trappings of "grunge" have been on the rise for at least 4 or 5 years now its not lke this is exactly new.
Accurate.
09:12 PM on 02/26/13
positiv-o
throwing punches at ocean waves
User Info.
I can't get the article to load, but I'm hoping to read it later. I've never really considered myself a fan of 90s music and definitely not grunge, but many off favorite bands lately are obviously influenced by that genre (Basement, B&C, others).

Also flannel is definitely "in" again.
09:18 PM on 02/26/13
blackmold
Not A Poser
User Info.
Website won't load for me... Ahh I want to read this!
09:41 PM on 02/26/13
Loveisa4lttrwrd
stuff
User Info.
I mean to an extent even Brand New's Daisy and Manchester Orchestra's last two albums had some grunge influence.
09:56 PM on 02/26/13
Fringe
facebook.com/HigherAndHigherMusic
User Info.
Came in to say this in much less eloquent way.

But yeah, nailed it.
10:07 PM on 02/26/13
BobDylanismyman
User Info.
great read, well spoken, i was 8 when nirvana hit and grew up in one of the best times in music as i can recall, only matched by the 60's and 70's... nirvana, helmet, pearl jam, nofx, rancid, white zombie, pantera, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, N.I.N, Janes Addiction, the list is ridiculously long... but it seemed like it was a counter to what was happening in the mainstream in the late 80's into the 90's. The bullshit dance music, the soft rock, and although I have a nostalgic affinity for it, hair metal. the kids wanted something real and honest and dirty and something they hadn't heard before. I saw the same thing after the late 90's/2000's when pop punk and screamo took over after boy bands, dance music and nu metal. in its infancy it was fucking amazing and special and like everything gets exploited to its demise which starts over the cycle of bullshit, which is where we are now, rap and djs and dance pop again... it will all happen again because one thing is sure...history will repeat itself.
10:16 PM on 02/26/13
imagination
/ignitetheknown
User Info.
I can't get the article to load, but I'm hoping to read it later. I've never really considered myself a fan of 90s music and definitely not grunge, but many off favorite bands lately are obviously influenced by that genre (Basement, B&C, others).

Also flannel is definitely "in" again.

Website won't load for me... Ahh I want to read this!

Should work now. Sorry about that!
11:08 PM on 02/26/13
RandomGui
SESAME STREET HARDCORE CREW
User Info.
I'm just about to read the article but I wanted to say something first:

We can just look at Title Fight's Head In The Ceiling Fan and Secret Society and get that feel. They were filmed on Hi8 and VHS respectively, which were both very popular throughout the 80s and 90s. I'm not saying that the visual aesthetic that a band chooses to adopt is necessarily representative of their sound, but most of the time there is a connection between the way they choose to visually representive themselves, and the type of music they make.

Just look at the way that grunge kids dressed, and compare it to the music. There's definitely a link.
11:45 PM on 02/26/13
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
I'm just about to read the article but I wanted to say something first:

We can just look at Title Fight's Head In The Ceiling Fan and Secret Society and get that feel. They were filmed on Hi8 and VHS respectively, which were both very popular throughout the 80s and 90s. I'm not saying that the visual aesthetic that a band chooses to adopt is necessarily representative of their sound, but most of the time there is a connection between the way they choose to visually representive themselves, and the type of music they make.

Just look at the way that grunge kids dressed, and compare it to the music. There's definitely a link.
I just like your signature tag. Is the whole crew Edge? Or is Oscar a junky?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS