We we’re throwing around a lot of different ideas for our band name before we chose Voices. We had some that meant something to us and some that we just thought sounded cool. We chose Voices because it represents what we’re doing with our music. It is our ‘voice’ in a sense and we’re able to use our ‘voices’ through our music!
2. How did this band get started?
Erik and I (Alex) were previously in a band together that eventually never got off the ground. We both went our own ways after that exhausting experience. Erik went to school for classical guitar and I joined another band. Once again, I became restless and needed to do my own thing. Erik completed his degree and graduated. Literally, a week after that we got together and started writing what is now our debut EP “The Warden & The Whisper”. We found our other vocalist Tom and eventually rounded out our line up with Kevin on guitar and Ryan on drums.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
We actually have a really wide variety of influences. I think everyone can agree that Memphis May Fire lyrically and musically are very inspiring and influential. Along with them, we draw inspiration from This or The Apocalypse, I the Breather to name a few more in the metal/post hardcore genres. Pop music is another big genre we draw from. We try to incorporate some of the subtleties in the pop/commercial genres in our writing process more so than not!
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Once again, I think Memphis May Fire would be up there as well as The Devil Wears Prada, I the Breather and August Burns Red to name a few. They’re all very good bands and we’ve had the opportunity of meeting some of the members of the bands and are all really fun down to earth dudes.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Veggies, chicken and greens! We try to stay away from eating fast food as much as possible. Erik’s body doesn’t respond well to food like that and we are all okay with not eating it because of that very reason.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
We’re extremely dedicated and honest guys making honest music. We try to bring the best of multiple worlds to our music; pop/rock/metal/hardcore/etc. so we can have an awesome variety of music listeners become fans of us!
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Probably Rob Dyrdek. That dude has THE LIFE…and seems pretty laid back!
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Everyone who always believed in us….and everyone who NEVER believed in us!
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
This is a tough one but probably the promotion of live music. The live music scene is so important and is a HUGE part of the industry. Definitely more promotion for live shows and tours would help the industry in a big way.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Get back to us in a few months…
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It’s definitely an important outlet for a growing band like us. It’s pretty awesome to see the dedication AP.net puts into reporting as much as they can about bigger bands and smaller bands alike.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Hostage would probably be the favorite. It hits at an almost perfect time in our set and is really high energy.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Cape Cod, Massachusetts!
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
U2 & The Spin Doctors. I always remember my parents having those two bands on in our car.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
To fly. Come on, how awesome would that be?
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Right before our set starts, Erik, Tom and I take whiskey shots to loosen up!
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Erik Klapp may not look like it, but that kid eats more than anyone we’ve ever met.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
I think on certain “heavier” radio stations our band could definitely have a place especially with our newer material we’ve been working on.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
We love just hanging out, working out and partying too much.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Tom can touch the back of his neck with his big toe. He’s real flexible, ladies.