AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

48 Hours - 02.27.13

Interviewed by
48 Hours - 02.27.13The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

48 Hours

www.facebook.com/48hoursrock

1. How did you get your band name?

Adam (Guitar/Vocals) & Matt (Drums) went to a Las Vegas music festival featuring Korn, Godsmack, Three Days Grace, Sick Puppies, Seether, Five Finger Death Punch... pretty much every hard rock or nu metal band you could think of that is still playing shows. The festival at the time was called 48 Hours festival, but later changed its name to Las Vegas Rocks. On deciding a name for the band, they suggested 48Hours simply because every band on that bill represented not only an amazing point in Adam and Matt's friendship, but the overall musical tastes and preferences of the band. We now like to think if you put elements of every band at that festival in a blender, the result would be us!

2. How did this band get started?

Adam and Matt started writing with the intention of finding a bass player after getting some demos recorded. They hooked up with me (Gary - Bass/Vocals) to record their first track which happened to be the first incarnation of 'Secrets'. I had recently left the frontman position in the band After the Ordeal and was doing a bit of production to keep myself occupied. I liked the sound and offered my services before I even had a proper bass rig! I had played bass many years ago in my first band and thought I'd quite like to pick up an instrument again after three years as a lead singer.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

My personal influences extend from a wide variety of the Rock music spectrum, from bands like Saosin & Story of the Year to Alter Bridge & Trapt. Adam & Matt are into more of the late 90's/early 00's Nu-Metal and Metalcore bands like Drowning Pool, Killswitch Engage & Three Days Grace. I can quite easily listen to those bands too, my taste is just a little bit broader than theirs!

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

I would love to tour with Alter Bridge, they're such a talented band and always deliver live, completely flawless! Adam and Matt would almost definitely say Three Days Grace, although that looks unlikely as I believe their singer left recently!

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Anything pig based! We love pork in all forms, in fact I'm having pork stir fry for my dinner this very night! We like to cook various cuts of pork in alcohol based sauces! Unfortunately on the road, pork of this kind is a rarity so we have to settle with whatever is open after midnight, usually a dodgy kebab house where we'll entertain the staff with our horse. That's another story...

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Because we're a straight up Rock band with plenty of appeal. We take influences from various styles but when it comes down to our sonic output we like to make it appealing as well as heavy, but at the same time we want our music to have a radio friendly vibe without it being too safe. It's hard to get that balance sometimes but when we do it pays off with some hefty riffs and massive choruses!

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

I'm not sure who I would switch places with but I definitely wouldn't switch with Oscar Pistorius at the moment!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

When we win a Grammy (see what I did there?) I guess we'll have to thank pigs for being so damn tasty. Obviously we'll thank the usual suspects like hairdressers and our horse, etc., but most of all I think we'll just thank ourselves for not being too pissed that we couldn't get on stage to collect our award.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I'd quite like the internet to disappear for a few years so that the real hard working and talented bands can go back to how it was before Myspace made every other person a member of a band. We were all in bands before Myspace took over. Although it helped with the rise of some great new artists, it also helped less deserving 'musicians' make a name for themselves simply because they had a bazillion 'friends'. It would be great for that all to just go away so we can see how we fare with the old school way of promoting your music before Myspace, and subsequently Facebook, arrived on the scene.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Our buddy Monty the Horse (he's a mask by the way) has been crucial to on the road shenanigans, whether it be headbanging too hard to a Lamb of God covers band and nearly causing a fight with a less than impressed Lancaster local or withdrawing cash from an ATM and subsequently eating the cash! But hanging out of the window at 80 m.p.h. on the M6 while passing mini bus full of students who showed their appreciation by holding up a sign saying 'Legends' on it was quite something. I just saw this horse head in the wing mirror and the body of Matt hanging out the rear window!

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

AP.net is a great place to find new music amongst the present day favourites. It's great for bands at our level to have features in amongst the big boys so I totally respect AP.net's outlook on new music!

12. What is your favorite song to play?

"Secrets" is usually our set finisher and always causes a bit of a stir between us and the crowd. At our last show there was a random bit of scaffolding at the side of the stage (yeah, we play some proper dumps!) and I only clocked it during the last song. Needless to say I was on top of it within a few seconds and the drop in the final breakdown of Secrets ultimately led to me launching myself from the scaffolding and landing knee first in front of the drum riser! It can be a painful business this Rock n Roll malarkey, but we play through the pain! With that in mind I'd say "Secrets" is my favourite to play live, although my favourite of ours on the EP is probably 'Hollow'.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

I've climbed Mount Vesuvius in Italy which I'll never forget! I also drove 300 miles across Turkey to a place called Pamukalle; It's a huge spring that has created a small mounting of crystallised salt that you can pay to climb up, but you have to do it barefoot! It has waterfalls rushing down it that you can jump into and pools where the spring water has collected. It's a really cool experience and would recommend it to anyone. Matt and Adam would probably recommend getting smashed in Vegas!

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Probably most of the Phil Collins era Genesis and alot of Bruce Springsteen. My family spent alot of time between our house and holiday caravan in Dymchurch and that was pretty much my Dad's car music. On tape cassette of course! I've spent countless hours manually winding up tapes that have escaped the cassette!

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

I would like the power to kill a yak from 200 yards away, with mind bullets.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

We're too disorganised for pre-show rituals. If we had any we'd forget to do them!

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I'm actually a fully trained chef! Adam has been Librarian for as long as I've known him and Matt just seems to get temp work in the most ridiculous places like McDonalds HQ and the Warner Brothers offices! They also do tuition on their respective instruments. Unfortunately we don't earn any money in this band, not enough to keep us going anyway. So we all still work to fund the band, it's an expensive business at this level.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

I personally think BBC Radio 1 is starting to embrace more new music and more alternative sounds as listeners tastes are ever changing these days, so a station like that needs to keep things fresh and exciting. It's great hearing songs by your friend's bands or bands you've shared the stage with on prime time national radio and this has been happening more often in the last year or so. Hopefully it won't be long until our music graces those airwaves! Until then we're putting our music out to as many online stations and shows as we can find to get little bits of exposure here and there. Every little bit helps so you need to still get involved with the small independent stations to help get your music heard.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Most of my spare time is spent booking shows for the band and also promoting local shows and local bands in our area. Music is a big part of my life so 90% of my spare time is spent doing something music related.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I wouldn't call it a talent as such, but I used to be a big extreme sports enthusiast. I still am, but I don't have enough time these days to do any of those sports! When I was in my late teens I used to compete in the UK All Terrain Boarding Championships, I even beat the then World Champion in a boardercross competition in Scotland when I was 18! I did alot of inverted tricks like backflips and rodeo flips. I busted three ribs and a wrist attempting an invert once, that was the beginning of the end of my ATB career!

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
09:08 AM on 02/28/13
bindass
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
dear thanks a lot...
its so help full for me in tomorrow interview
Discover Internet
06:43 AM on 03/11/13
Apereacieni
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
louis vuitton watch outlet Making Money Online Blog Archive Several Methods If You Want To Incredibly easily MAKE MONEY ONLINE Now a days|making money online blog archive several methods if you want to incredibly easily make money online now a days

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos