AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Dr. Manhattan - Dr. Manhattan Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8.33
Lyrics 8.17
Production 8.5
Creativity 9.33
Lasting Value 9.17
Reviewer Tilt 9.17
Average: 86%
Inside AP.net

Dr. Manhattan - Dr. Manhattan

Reviewed by: newfoundmichael (03/25/08)
Dr. Manhattan - Dr. Manhattan
Record Label: Vagrant Records
Release Date: March 11, 2008

“What’s the point of converse if it’s not engaging and long?” sings frontman Matt Engers on the opening track of Dr. Manhattan’s self-titled Vagrant debut. While Engers is asking his listeners this question, you may be asking yourself, “What’s the point of listening if it’s all unoriginal and dull?” It is no secret that the music industry has been lacking in originality as of late, but Dr. Manhattan are a major exception to that clause.

It is apparent Dr. Manhattan draw influences from many different musical acts. The beginning of the second track, “You Put the 'I' in Team,” could have been an introduction to a late Blood Brothers track, but right when you think you have it figured out, it cuts into a very smoothly placed piano piece that continues through the better part of the song. The songs remain original and fresh through the next few tracks with “Gunpowder: A Ballet” being the strongest track on the album. So right when you believe you have this band figured out, they yet again knock you on your ass in a state of confusion with the track “Tracey’s Buns.” This b-side/hidden track sounding song had me confused at first as to why they would put it on the album, but after a few listens I couldn’t stop repeating it in my head. Think along the lines of the hidden track from Blink 182’s Take Off Your Pants and Jacket and you'll hit the nail right on the head. The track serves as more of an intermission than an actual song, because the final four tracks on the album keep true to this very different sound. “Baton Rouge” is introduced with an accordion piece that sets the overall tone of the song very well. The last song on the album is entitled “Pepper,” and rightfully so. The song is a needed ingredient and is the finishing touch on a very solid release.

To conclude, Dr. Manhattan have put together an album that will be a staple on many top 10 lists at the end of 2008 because of the simple fact that it has a little bit of something for everyone: catchy hooks, solid instrumentals/lyrics, and that little “something different” that leaves Dr. Manhattan sitting at the top of their mysterious throne.

Recommended if You LikeSocratic, Man Man, experimental punk rock with many other elements thrown in

myspace.com/drmanhattan

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15.
11:54 PM on 04/02/08
Co and Ca
What are you doing here?
User Info.
*Tracey's Buns. Also, this CD kicks ass
12:09 AM on 04/03/08
gregorizzle
Greg Corby
User Info.
I love this album. Been in my car for weeks and haven't taken it out!
03:15 AM on 04/03/08
mexicanjesus
i am job
User Info.
fantastic record.

this is what u currently use as my wake up call in the morning with my iHome
05:53 AM on 04/03/08
nizzlefoshizzle
Sweet! Coins!
User Info.
which hidden track from take off your pants and jacket? there were 3
06:06 AM on 04/03/08
guitarliketom
i'm still here?
User Info.
i love vagrant and have always respected them for their ability to find and mold amazing bands.... dr manhattan makes me question them. i couldnt get past 30 seconds in any song.
06:37 AM on 04/03/08
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
which hidden track from take off your pants and jacket? there were 3

The "Fuck A Dog In The Ass" one. Wasn't sure on the title of it, so I played it safe.
08:19 AM on 04/03/08
nizzlefoshizzle
Sweet! Coins!
User Info.
The "Fuck A Dog In The Ass" one. Wasn't sure on the title of it, so I played it safe.

haha i was just giving you a hard time. good review.
08:25 AM on 04/03/08
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
haha i was just giving you a hard time. good review.

haha, oh okay. yeah I realized there was more than one, but I wasn't sure how to title it? i figured people would know what i meant.

and thanks man, it means a lot that people actually read and enjoy the occasional review i post.
09:29 AM on 04/03/08
gonz
///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\
User Info.
really like this album
09:44 PM on 04/03/08
provethatIexist
i must have read a thousand faces
User Info.
oh yeahhhh. great review, great album.

oh, and do yourself a favor: SEE THIS BAND LIVE.
11:27 AM on 04/04/08
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
haha, oh okay. yeah I realized there was more than one, but I wasn't sure how to title it? i figured people would know what i meant.

and thanks man, it means a lot that people actually read and enjoy the occasional review i post.
Can we get a Recommended if You Like section up here?
12:14 PM on 04/04/08
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
Can we get a Recommended if You Like section up here?

Okay, I went for it. Never really done that before, so I'm sure I will get crucified for the comparisons. But I got a Socratic vibe while listening to certain songs, then other times the music was more crazy in ways such as Man Man. I'll let other people decide though.
08:48 AM on 04/05/08
nizzlefoshizzle
Sweet! Coins!
User Info.
Okay, I went for it. Never really done that before, so I'm sure I will get crucified for the comparisons. But I got a Socratic vibe while listening to certain songs, then other times the music was more crazy in ways such as Man Man. I'll let other people decide though.

The Socratic vibe definitely comes from the vocals. I was picking up on it too. I'm glad someone else noticed it.
08:49 AM on 04/21/08
mikado
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is an awesome, awesome album. i've had an insane amount of trouble finding something lately that i can repeatedly listen to but this is doing perfectly.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests