Password

Album Review

Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American Album Cover

Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American

Reviewed by
Jimmy Eat WorldBleed American
Record Label: Dreamworks / Geffen
Release Date: July 18th 2001
I’ll be upfront when I say this, but my experiences with indie-rock/pop-punk band Jimmy Eat World are minimal. I first started listening to this band around 2011, a year after they released their last record Invented; it was a very enjoyable record, and surely showed the progression of the band. It was rather indie-leaning, but definitely enjoyable. Fast forward a year so, and I managed to find a copy of 2004’s Futures at my local FYE for about $4 or $5, and I was definitely all over it. I listened to the record a few times, and really enjoyed it. In fact, I still come back to it time and time again, but for whatever reason, Jimmy Eat World is not a band that I can say I absolutely love. That could change, however. Now the band is set to release an untitled record as of now this year, and without a label, so this should be very interesting to see where they end up, and how the record itself will sound. And since they are releasing a record this year, I thought I would take a look at their most popular record, 2001’s Bleed American, which was known as merely the self-titled record for awhile following the 2001 terrorist attacks. Regardless, this is the band’s most well known effort, and for good reason. This record really sums up the band in about 46 minutes, which is the length of the record, obviously. What I mean by that is this record takes the band’s indie meets pop-punk sound and really multiplies it by 20; there’s a lot of catchy pop-punk riffs songs, but to balance that out, there are some very nice indie melodies to really put perspective on their sound and the record itself, in order to keep things fresh. That’s really all that this record has going for it, though; the indie and pop-punk sounding songs. That’s not a LOT of variety, and in the end, that’s okay, but what they do, they do it well. There definitely is a reason that this record is their most popular, and it shows. With that being said, let’s look at Bleed American, and see what makes this a “classic” record, shall we?

The record begins with the title track, of all tracks, and immediately vocalist/guitarist Jim Adkins (for whom the band is named) takes the record into overdrive and starts it off with a bang. Lyrically, he paints an interesting picture of American society where people watch TV and take pills so they’re not alone, nor feel insane. In a way, this song still applies today with the way the media affects people. This song kind of does set the stage for the record, because this is what I meant by the more “pop-punk” esque songs, because this is what you’d expect from it, really. Next song “A Praise Chorus” continues this sound, but it doesn’t sound boring, or derivative. At least not yet, anyway. The song doesn’t do a lot for me, but third track, “The Middle,” certainly does; it’s one of the shortest songs on the record, but one of the highlights. This is definitely a standard Jimmy Eat World. On a side note, why hasn’t this band released a greatest hits record? They’ve been around for so long, why hasn’t there been a greatest hits record at all? Hopefully we’ll see one soon, but I digress. Fourth track, “Your House,” coincidentally is one of the longest tracks, but that’s okay. This is also where the “indie” sound comes in, too; it’s got an acoustic/indie vibe that shows Atkins and the rest of the band in a different light. A few other songs follow in this format, and it is nice, because it shows a softer sound of the band.

It’s after this point in the record when things start to get rather derivative. Not generic, but derivative. It’s this point where it does start to drag on. Every song has a rather similar sound, minus the acoustic or indie-sounding tracks. Most of the other songs are rather mid-tempo pop-punk jams that are certainly enjoyable, but they start to blend together after awhile, and that’s a huge problem I see with a lot of records. It’s not a terrible thing because this is one of their earlier records, so it’s forgivable to some degree. There are also a few highlights on this record, too; sixth track “Hear You Me,” and seventh track “If You Don’t, Don’t” are kind of the one-two punch on this record. The former is another acoustic track, and lyrically, it’s one of the best songs on the record. The latter provides some nice contrast by being a more pop-punk laden track, but it does sound like songs I’ve heard earlier on the record. As for the rest of the record, the two songs that really stand out to me are ninth track “Cautioners” and eleventh track “My Sundown,” which is the last track. Both of these tracks are about 5 – 6 minutes a piece, and they have a very similar sound. These are two songs that have an indie sound on the record as well, and they both work nicely. It also ends the record on a nice note as well, being that it’s quiet, and relaxing. It’s quite a contrast from the first track “Bleed American,” because it’s so loud, aggressive, and in your face, basically. It started off the record with a bang, and it’s cool to see it end on a nicer note. The record itself is definitely worthy of being deemed a “classic” record, because this is the definitive Jimmy Eat World record. It’s got a lot that they’re known for, and they’re praised for as well. The only complaint I really have with this is that it can get rather derivative at times, however that depends on one’s personal preference. I’m a rather huge pop-punk fan, but my biggest gripe with the genre is that not a lot of bands in it stick out. They don’t have any defining characteristics, and therefore, a lot of records and EPs by pop-punk bands really don’t have too much lasting value to me. Of course I still enjoy it, but not as much as others genres. Regardless, this is an interesting band, because they take two really cool genres, indie and pop-punk, and blend them together. A lot more bands are using this style of pop-punk to their advantage, and it really works. So, being that it’s derivative at times is forgivable, because their sound is unique, nonetheless. If you’re a pop-punk or indie fan, or even a fan of both, this is definitely a record to spin, because it’s got something for everyone, really.

Recommended If You LikeFurther Seems Forever, The Early November, Mae, pop-punk mixed with indie-rock, etc.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Bleed American
2. A Praise Chorus
3. The Middle
4. Your House
5. Sweetness
6. Hear You Me
7. If You Don’t, Don’t
8. Get It Faster
9. Cautioners
10. The Authority Song
11. My Sundown

Jimmy Eat World is:
Jim Adkins – vocals, percussion, guitar
Rick Burch – bass, vocals
Zach Lind – drums
Tim Linton – guitar, vocals

www.facebook.com/jimmyeatworld
This review is a user submitted review from justbradley. You can see all of justbradley's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
12:51 PM on 03/12/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
Bands not named sfter Jim.
03:48 PM on 03/16/13
est patriots
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"this is the definitive Jimmy Eat World record", you got it all wrong dude, its by far their worst album. Listen to Clarity if you really want the real Jimmy Eat World.
04:59 PM on 03/16/13
wtfjaked
Tortoise Tamer
User Info.
"this is the definitive Jimmy Eat World record", you got it all wrong dude, its by far their worst album. Listen to Clarity if you really want the real Jimmy Eat World.

Their worst? Have you heard their debut? This is leagues better than that.
10:36 PM on 03/16/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
Bands not named sfter Jim.
It kind of is, it also kind of isn't.

There's a story that Jim's little brother got mad with him one day and drew Jim eating something round, and he called it Jimmy Eat World, and that's where the name came from.
11:05 PM on 03/16/13
crf1895
get kinda awesome
User Info.
yeah this is definitely worse than aim & ignite. nice.
06:42 AM on 03/17/13
SafetyofRoutine
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Almost every song was a hit. Maybe listen to the record more? Wasn't a sell out record. Bump your score up 10 points and maybe it's accurate. Clarity may be the best most touching album but this was their hit album. Jams still carry today.
03:34 PM on 03/17/13
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
It kind of is, it also kind of isn't.

There's a story that Jim's little brother got mad with him one day and drew Jim eating something round, and he called it Jimmy Eat World, and that's where the name came from.
It was actually Tom's brothers, one of whom is named Jim.
04:20 PM on 03/17/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
It was actually Tom's brothers, one of whom is named Jim.
Oh ok
04:45 PM on 03/17/13
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
Yeah, but aside from that, your story was correct.
09:14 AM on 03/19/13
Mt Delicious
User Info.
What I find so funny about this review is not the content, I love this album as well... I just think its odd that this review was done in March of 2013... I just think the review is a bit late is all
08:14 PM on 03/19/13
justbradley
User Info.
yeah this is definitely worse than aim & ignite. nice.
There's a called an opinion, I suggest you learn what that is. I didn't like this album as much as Aim and Ignite, but that's because my personal preferences lean towards indie, so I'm sorry that my opinion is not worthy in your eyes.
08:47 PM on 03/19/13
crf1895
get kinda awesome
User Info.
There's a called an opinion, I suggest you learn what that is. I didn't like this album as much as Aim and Ignite, but that's because my personal preferences lean towards indie, so I'm sorry that my opinion is not worthy in your eyes.
my opinion is that your opinion is wrong. hey, it's also called an opinion, isn't it? there you go.
08:15 AM on 03/21/13
saclancelwzemr
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
wsYbsvWgbuW Lancel wbQcluStgiG Sac Lancel wlXjnaFizqT Sac Lancel Pas Cher wkDesbYgjrV Lancel Pas Cher waAnbkOeifQ www.saclancelpaschers.com Parce cual la frontière contend privée-vie publique est devenue poreuse often throughout the raconte sa contend au téléphone dans le coach ou bien dans une émission de téléréalité all the way to ght individus rêvent de trouver not espace qui soit véritablement personnel. Il faut donc inventer de nouvelles formes de protection.along with"Si le privé devient public où est l'intime? On se protège durante ayant not deuxième numéro personnel pour son portable, mais réservé à quelques proches, explique Pascale Weil.

whYzcpAqxbP Sac Lancel wvZqywQuraD Lancel Bb wmFsxoNobvC Lancel Soldes wqZgwyEbmdS Lancel France wsLmxgIibjX www.saclancelbb2013.com Une sans lourdeurs,national insurance exc incommodants. Les notes de bas de page sont toujours l l'ironie moralisatrice itoo. Certains passages rappelleront au lecteur des histoires not to mention that ou moins v Toutefois,m cuando la are competing de couple n'est pas made the decision facile, c'est not challenge tout de m souvent relev et quelquefois dans la longue voire tr longue dur.

Sac Lancel grande terrasse couverte

[/url]
[/url]
[url=http://what-is-java.com/showthread.php?197488-louis-vuitton-outlet-671-Inspired-From-Classic-Speedy-Bags&p=290670#post290670]Sac Lancel il n'aime pas le senfants
05:33 PM on 03/24/13
WordsandMusic
User Info.
the difficulty is this-first and most glaringly, comparing a record written in 2012 with one in 2000. Secondly, out of the context of the Jimmy Eat Worlds discography and their indelible impact on "emo", rock, AND the modern scene. Clarity literally changed how bands look at what they do. And Bleed American was one step short of flawless. Perhaps not compared to fun., but the nice thing about that was that fun. wasnt even a thought at that time. And no doubt Nate & Co. would have some SERIOUS love for JEW and the music theyve written. Your review didnt suck, and I applaud you for taking a listen at something so far removed from what you know. Its just...Im 36. I remember discovering Jimmy, I remember wetting myself when I first heard Clarity...and how pumped I was when I heard "If youre listening, Woooaaaaahhhh". You HAVE to expect that people my age, people with a visceral, emotional connection to JEW are going to come to its defence. Dont take it personally. Its just too bad you couldnt hear and understand what had changed the first time you spun "Clarity" in '99.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos