AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Jet Pack - 03.11.13

Interviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (03/11/13)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Jet Pack

http://www.facebook.com/wearejetpack

1. How did you get your band name?

It comes from a video game some of us used to play at University - 007 Nightfire on the original Xbox with jet packs and sniper rifles only switched on. We decided that our original name Jet Pack Snipers was a bit too long so shortened it to Jet Pack. In hindsight Jet Pack Snipers was probably slightly cooler.

2. How did this band get started?

Paul, Sam and Rich started the band when they lived together in Cheltenham as they wanted to hang out and play music together. To this day that is what underpins our band: four friends travelling around playing music with each other.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

At the moment I am really into the new Biffy Clyro album and loving the latest two Yellowcard records.

There are some bands that will always be influential to us though: Hundred Reasons, Reuben, Brand New, Fall Out Boy, Trouble Over Tokyo, Jimmy Eat World & Taking Back Sunday.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Present bands, I'd say Fall Out Boy, Deaf Havana or Foo Fighters - who wouldn't want to play a couple of casual stadium gigs.

Past bands I'd go for The Clash or Hundred Reasons

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Anywhere with a good vegan option. I'm a big fan of Wagamama or anything with falafel and hummous. The rest of the guys would say McDonalds more than likely.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Because we are a genuine British rock band that make the type of music we'd like to listen to.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Probably Floyd "Money" Mayweather so I could hang out with 50 Cent and sleep at night [on top of a pile of money] knowing I beat The Big Show at Wrestlemania.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

If we were that successful I would have to say my wife, Zooey Deschanel.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I'd stop bands doing non-ironic synchronised moves on stage. It looks awful. They should probably spend more time writing songs.

10. Memorable tour experience?

One night when we were on tour with The Hype Theory, we played in Sheffield and it was the first time we'd every had a proper dressing room with beers and food. We stuck around for a big student club night at the venue and drank far too much with the Hype theory, their manager and few old friends. We were the only people not dressed in school uniform [it was a school disco themed night], Sam woke up under a desk and I had a curry for breakfast. Needless to say the effects were felt during the following night's set.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

I have been using Absolute Punk since I started getting into music in a big way, around 15/16 years old. It's where I go for all my music news and it's pretty cool that this will be Jet Pack's first article on there.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

My favourite Jet Pack song to play at the moment is from our new EP "Chasing Sunsets" it's called "Back To Life" it is pretty aggressive for us so it's great to close the set all guns blazing. My favourite song to play by someone else is probably "The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot" by Brand New.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

I love skiing, so anywhere with mountains and there is snow.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Whenever I hear Phil Collins "Another Day In Paradise" I remember my Mum driving me to school when I was about 3 or 4, and my Dad is always singing Sinatra so that always reminds me of driving around with him. When I was answering these Sam chipped in with his: Celine Dion and Michael Jackson. Needless to say these influences can be easily heard in our music...

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

I'd guess the power of the Human Torch because the house we live in together is cold. So very cold.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

I always mic check by singing "Shout" by Lulu. I don't know why.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Drums are my first instrument, I am from Cornwall and used to be a member of chess club in school... that about covers it.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

I think radio is great. It's still the biggest platform for music in terms of reaching new people and discovering new music. I think Jet Pack can flourish on radio as we make honest music and write good songs - good honest songs will always be popular. Radio in general could probably do with playing a lot less empty pop music - Nikki Manaja and Flo Rida won't miss the money I'm sure.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Generally when I'm not at my day job I am doing something related to the band or writing / recording music. When I'm not making music I like to hang out with my friends, cook and read.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I make a mean flat bread.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
06:57 AM on 03/12/13
jetpack
Jet Pack
User Info.
Forgive the typos, Sam and I were sleep deprived when we wrote this.

Here is a teaser for our new EP Chasing Sunsets out 06/05/2013.

Keep up to date / harass us on Facebook, Youtube & Twitter

Thanks for having us AP!x
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT