AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Seconds From Ruin - 03.12.13

Interviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (03/12/13)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Seconds From Ruin

http://www.facebook.com/Secondsfromruin

Responses by bassist Jamie Thomas

How did you get your band name?

The band name come from a statement from a journalist in a national paper in the middle of the London riots. It captioned 'This property is just seconds from ruin'. We liked that, so we stuck with the name.

How did this band get started?

The band consists of 5 members. Chris Clark (Vocals), Jamie Thomas (Bass), George Pinkett (Guitar), Henry James (Keys/Synth) and Nathan lewis (Drums).

Myself and the drummer Nathan decided to form something after the demise of previous bands. We wanted to create something which we hadn't done before. We brought in Craig James, (who left shortly after) to form a 3 piece with a very unusual sound. Craig then drafted in Henry James to put a Synth and Key vibe on the tracks to really stand out.

A few months passed and Craig decided to concentrate more on his guitar work so thats when Chris Clark joined to be the front man who would concentrate on vocals only.

As stated, Craig then left and to continue the writing, Chris filled in on guitar for a few months while we wrote more material. Then Henry drafted in George Pinkett to become a permanent fixture in the SFR line up. We then headed out playing shows where ever we could. The rest is just history.

[b]What bands are you influenced by?

There's alot of musical influences in the SFR camp. Myself, I tend to edge near the more alt-rock/hardcore scene with the likes of Biffy Clyro, Funeral for a Friend, etc. Nathan is more into his '90s indie with Oasis. George has a big interest in the early rock days and especially the blues artsists. With Henry and Chris, they tend to go into anything from the dance era all the way up to hardcore/metal.

If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

With all the mixes its hard to say a certain artist or band. I think it could range from anyone from Keith Emerson & Jimmy James to Oasis all the way to Biffy Clyro, Brand New and Bullet for My Valentine.

Best food to eat on tour?

Well a lot of junk is definitely best to eat on tour. I suppose the best thing you can do is definitely eat as much healthy food as possible. A lot of fruit has to be consumed to keep the vitamins up but that is short lived! KFC is just to tempting!

Why should people listen to your band?

We play with a smile on our face and our music ain't about how painful something is. We have a good vibe around the SFR camp and we feel our music has a feel good factor to it. Maybe its not something you could dance to, but its definitely infectious.

If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

We are athletes, can't you tell? HAHAl! There's so many unreal athletes out there it's hard to name just one. I suppose Usain Bolt is something special, something we won't see again for a long time, so I suppose it would have to be him.

If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Well, first, it would have to be our parents for all that they have done, but that would be followed in a close second to our fans who brave all kinds of weather to come and see us play. There's no better feeling than seeing our fans enjoy themselves and gather to see us.

And then of course it our record label. They are doing amazing things for us right now and we really can't thank them enough. A huge thanks to James, Kenny and Joe at Red Zebra Records.

If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Probably the way artists are exposed to a huge audience at such a young age. There's so much talent in young singer/songwriters they don't have time to perfect their profession. TV programs are partly to blame for this as its just pound signs in their eyes, there's no thought for the artist.

Memorable tour experience?

Every part of touring is a memorable experience, the main thing we tend to enjoy is the togetherness of the band and the ideas we have for the next show. There are a lot of drunken nights and many hangovers, some of them can't be told!

What does AP.net mean to you?

AP is a fantastic source to musicians and readers alike. Too many websites, fanzines etc all have their favourites which tends to get rather boring, but with AP they provide a positive outlook on all hard working bands. AP should be very proud of the work they have done.

What is your favorite song to play?

I think I speak on behalf of the band that it's probably 'Dirty Dog'. This track is going to be on the EP and it's certainly a very catchy track indeed.

What is your vacation spot of choice?

Anywhere hot! Chris like places such as Amsterdam and Croatia, but the rest of us are happy where the sun is!

What music reminds you of your childhood?

It's probably the likes of Oasis, Stereophonics, Blur. These bands were huge in those days and continue to be incredible bands. It's something we do admire.

If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Who wouldn't want to fly! That would be amazing! Either that or a way of just creating money where ever you need it!

[b]Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?[b]

We always have a shot of something before we go on stage, don't know how that come about but its stuck for a while now!

What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Yeah, we all changed our names as we feel we don't look like our given names. Let's just say one of us is now called Tony and someone else is called Carl!

What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

To be honest with you, I think the current state of radio is dreadful. I'm sure some of these people are not taking it serious. So many piss take songs manage to get into the top ten and people are suddenly mad on them! Some of these pop stars don't put any effort of input into the songs they bring out and it drives me crazy as there's so many hard working bands who would love to have a song in the top ten.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

In our spare time we tend to be pretty lazy! George just likes to relax while playing some blues, Henry and Chris like to play and experiment with dance music, Nathan likes to keep fit and for me? Give me sky sports and I won't move! I'm a huge Tottenham Hotspur fan!

What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Well I'm not sure about some of us but George does this crazy thing with his stomach and Nathan is a pro on the old BMX! The rest of us are pretty mundane!

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums