Password

Album Review

Miguel - All I Want Is You Album Cover

Miguel - All I Want Is You

Reviewed by
MiguelAll I Want Is You
Record Label: Jive Records
Release Date: November 30th 2010
R&B is a genre that I never really expected to get into, but now some of my favorite artists are R&B artists, or have elements of R&B, anyway, such as Frank Ocean, Justin Timberlake, and Miguel. All three of them performed at the 2013 Grammy Awards, and only Ocean and Miguel were nominated. Nonetheless, the performances were solid, but not perfect. Regardless, Miguel is the only one of those artists I am not too familiar with, or at least, I wasn’t before I watched the Grammy’s. I was very curious to get into his music, but I figured I’d start with debut record All I Want Is You, which has the title track on it. Before watching him perform on the Grammy’s with rapper Wiz Khalifa, whose presence was very unnecessary, pop-punk band A Loss For Words covered the title track on their 2012 acoustic EP Return to Webster Lake. I loved their rendition of the track, so I went into this record with a bit of familiarity, but not too much. Regardless, I was very pleased with what I heard – R&B with lots of hip-hop, funk, soul, pop, and electro influences. A lot of critics praised this record for Miguel (aka Miguel Pimentel) and his very smooth voice, as well as the plethora of sounds and influences, but they also had one criticism with it, and it’s that the record is rather inconsistent. I have the same issue, and by that, I mean, the record does have a lot of sounds, but it doesn’t sound cohesive. It doesn’t flow that well. A song like the title track is rather straightforward pop/R&B track with some hip-hop, but fourth track “Pay Me” jumps into funk and electronica real quick, then fifth track “Quickie” is another R&B track. The record takes too many turns, and while it’s enjoyable for the most part, it’s certainly inconsistent. Am I disappointed I bought it? No, because this record is very enjoyable, and it satisfies my R&B craving. However, I won’t say that Miguel is the best singer I have ever heard; his voice shines on a few tracks that I’ll mention later on, but when it comes to the big names of the genre, at least right now, compared to that of Justin Timberlake, Frank Ocean, and The Weeknd, Miguel falls to the bottom portion of those artists. Is his voice good? Yes, of course, it’s very enjoyable, smooth, and unique. But it’s just up to par with those artists. Not yet, anyway. With that being said, let’s take a look at this, and see why I all I want to listen to is this record, shall we?

The record opens with “Sure Thing,” and this is a very straightforward R&B/pop track, akin to the title track, which is next, but this is also one of my favorites. This song is about Miguel professing his love for a woman, and the lyrics are cheesy, but they do their job, meaning that the song’s point comes across quite nicely. It’s cheesy, but it’s catchy, and very smooth. That’s how I’d describe a majority of this record – it’s cheesy, but catchy, and Miguel’s vocals are insanely smooth and seductive. Next track, which is title track “All I Want Is You,” is another very enjoyable track, and this is slightly different. First track “Sure Thing” is the only straightforward love song on here. Most of the songs are about sex, basically. I won’t sugarcoat that, because, well, it’s R&B, what do you expect? That’s not a bad thing, either. It’s very subtle, and rather clever at times, but it’s sex, nonetheless. This song features rapper J. Cole in the beginning, as well as the middle of the song, and to be honest, I am not impressed. He doesn’t appear much in the song, which is why I don’t really like his appearance too much. He just comes and goes, and doesn’t really contribute much to it, which is a problem with most guest rappers. Other than that, the song has a very chill vibe to it, and Miguel’s voice is really smooth as always. Third track “Girl With the Tattoo Enter.Lewd” is the first of two short interlude tracks. This first one is about two minutes long, and it’s fantastic. It’s an R&B number, and it mainly just features his voice, and it’s really wonderful here. His voice surely shines on this track, and I just wish it were a full song. Just when it builds up, it moves into fourth track “Pay Me” which is one of the few filler tracks on this record, and rather forgettable. This song has a very funk and electro influence, and it’s kind of clever, but forgettable, nonetheless. Essentially, this song is about prostitution, and how a woman should pay Miguel for her services, to say the least. Some weird vocal effects on his voice, which is cool, but there’s not a lot of substance to this track. The same goes for fifth track “Quickie.” This is an R&B track, but this song is about what it says – a quickie, or one-night-stand. It’s straightforward, but it’s also rather forgettable. His voice is nice, and the instrumentation is okay, but the track itself generic, and forgettable.

The middle of the record does rather slip a bit, but sixth track “Girls Like You” does kind of redeem it slightly; this song is a bit different in the sense that the lyrics aren’t about sex of any kind, but rather, women who upset him, and who aren’t different whatsoever. The lyrics are a bit unique, but the instrumentation is rather generic. Following that is the second interlude “Overload Enter.Lewd,” and this is only 30 seconds, but this one doesn’t do anything for me, really. One of my favorite tracks appears a bit later in the form of eighth track “Teach Me.” This is the longest song on the record at about 5 and a half minutes, but it’s also one of my favorites. This song is quite sexual, but it’s so chill, and perfect R&B at its finest. The last minute or so features a nice guitar riff that compliments the accompanying beat. Next track “Hero” is the other cheesy love song on this record, but it also works very well. The music itself isn’t too unique, but it does work, nonetheless. The last few tracks are quite interesting as well, but nothing too spectacular; twelfth track “To the Moon” is a really interesting song that’s subtly about sex, but nonetheless, it’s interesting. Last song “My Piece” is a bit strange, because it likens a relationship Miguel’s having to a gun, and how they can shoot down people who want to break them apart. It’s catchy, and lyrically, it’s a bit different, but doesn’t too a lot for me. As an album closer, it’s interesting, but it doesn’t really feel like an album closer. Aside from that, the album is enjoyable, despite being rather inconsistent. As far as debut records go, it really delivers.

Recommended If You Like Prince, Michael Jackson, The Weeknd, Frank Ocean, Justin Timberlake, Robin Thicke, Usher, R&B, pop, etc, etc.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Sure Thing
2. All I Want Is You (feat. J. Cole)
3. Girl With the Tattoo Enter.Lewd
4. Pay Me
5. Quickie
6. Girls Like You
7. Overload Enter.Lewd
8. Hard Way
9. Teach Me
10. Hero
11. Vixen
12. To the Moon
13. My Piece

www.facebook.com/miguelmusic
This review is a user submitted review from justbradley. You can see all of justbradley's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
10:37 AM on 04/11/13
LetterBomb31
// I M P O S S I B L E S O U L //
User Info.
"However, I won’t say that Miguel is the best singer I have ever heard; his voice shines on a few tracks that I’ll mention later on, but when it comes to the big names of the genre, at least right now, compared to that of Justin Timberlake, Frank Ocean, and The Weeknd, Miguel falls to the bottom portion of those artists."

Haha are you joking me? Miguel has way more vocal range than Timberlake (ESPECIALLY Timberlake), Ocean and the Weeknd.
03:06 PM on 04/11/13
justbradley
User Info.
"However, I won’t say that Miguel is the best singer I have ever heard; his voice shines on a few tracks that I’ll mention later on, but when it comes to the big names of the genre, at least right now, compared to that of Justin Timberlake, Frank Ocean, and The Weeknd, Miguel falls to the bottom portion of those artists."

Haha are you joking me? Miguel has way more vocal range than Timberlake (ESPECIALLY Timberlake), Ocean and the Weeknd.
Are you kidding me? He does not have more vocal range than the Weeknd. His vocals are good, but they're flat. That's the same issue I have with Frank Ocean. His vocals are so boring sometimes, and that's how I feel here. At least JT and the Weeknd actually know how to use their voices.
03:15 PM on 04/11/13
LetterBomb31
// I M P O S S I B L E S O U L //
User Info.
Are you kidding me? He does not have more vocal range than the Weeknd. His vocals are good, but they're flat. That's the same issue I have with Frank Ocean. His vocals are so boring sometimes, and that's how I feel here. At least JT and the Weeknd actually know how to use their voices.
Have you listened to Miguel's song "Use Me"? If that isn't an example of someone knowing exactly how to use their voice, then I don't know what is.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos