AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

01:00 PM on 03/14/13 
User Info.
TorontoMatt
No Avatar Selected
My small business launched a few months ago. We do about xxk a month, which isn't awful. I need someone to tell me how to price my items so that my costs are always around a certain percentage. For instance, I have bills for the product, the shipping, gas, electricity, water, rent, etc etc. Who would be able to figure out all those costs and then give me the numbers I need to sell each item for in order to not only cover myself (which I'm doing now) but to maximize profits while also staying competitive?

Is this even an accountants job? Whose job is it?...Is it mine ? :(
01:44 PM on 03/14/13 
User Info.
tottivillarossi
these pretzels are makin me thirsty
West Midlands, UK
Male - 24 Years Old
I could do it for you. Just PM me your sort code, account number, date of birth, home address and mother's maiden name.
03:45 PM on 03/14/13 
User Info.
Loveisa4lttrwrd
stuff
Chicago, IL
Male - 26 Years Old
I could do it for you. Just PM me your sort code, account number, date of birth, home address and mother's maiden name.

I'd trust this guy. He helped my frozen yogurt for cats business really take off.
04:58 PM on 03/14/13 
User Info.
TorontoMatt
No Avatar Selected
I sent what he asked for. I got home and some other family was there
04:59 PM on 03/14/13 
User Info.
dontdrivenaked
South Bend, IN
Male - 21 Years Old
My small business launched a few months ago. We do about xxk a month, which isn't awful. I need someone to tell me how to price my items so that my costs are always around a certain percentage. For instance, I have bills for the product, the shipping, gas, electricity, water, rent, etc etc. Who would be able to figure out all those costs and then give me the numbers I need to sell each item for in order to not only cover myself (which I'm doing now) but to maximize profits while also staying competitive?

Is this even an accountants job? Whose job is it?...Is it mine ? :(
You could probably do it yourself, but if I were you I would hire an accountant. For the time and effort you'll save, I think it would be worth it. As for coming up with prices, an accountant can help you figure out different break-even points but I think ultimately it would be on you to choose your price points.
05:01 PM on 03/14/13 
User Info.
TorontoMatt
No Avatar Selected
You could probably do it yourself, but if I were you I would hire an accountant. For the time and effort you'll save, I think it would be worth it. As for coming up with prices, an accountant can help you figure out different break-even points but I think ultimately it would be on you to choose your price points.
Yeah but what type of account? Do you know the name this type would go by?
05:16 PM on 03/14/13 
User Info.
dontdrivenaked
South Bend, IN
Male - 21 Years Old
Yeah but what type of account? Do you know the name this type would go by?
Well it's managerial accounting, but there's no such thing as a managerial accountant. I'm pretty sure you can just hire any local CPA with an office near your business, just ask them if they could do it. Yo actually, I was thinking, I don't how big your business is, but it might save you a lot of money to just to do it yourself and it actually wouldn't be too much. If you want to read up on it, it's CVP analysis. I would look into it if I were you, just google it, and if it looks to hard hire an accountant.
06:08 PM on 03/14/13 
User Info.
TorontoMatt
No Avatar Selected
Well it's managerial accounting, but there's no such thing as a managerial accountant. I'm pretty sure you can just hire any local CPA with an office near your business, just ask them if they could do it. Yo actually, I was thinking, I don't how big your business is, but it might save you a lot of money to just to do it yourself and it actually wouldn't be too much. If you want to read up on it, it's CVP analysis. I would look into it if I were you, just google it, and if it looks to hard hire an accountant.
Thanks a million man. Ill look into cvp and if I can't do it ill ask one of my accountant friends if they'll do it (for a small fee). Thanks!
08:45 AM on 03/15/13 
User Info.
pinkfrosty
Does not give a fuck
DC
Male - 28 Years Old
Robert Half AccountTemps is what you're looking for.
10:29 AM on 03/15/13 
User Info.
EnZo
Marklar
Wisconsin
Male - 23 Years Old
don't think that you need an accountant to help you calculate overhead/profit-margins...being a small business, I'd take advantage of not having to pay an accountant to take care of things you can probably handle with peachtree/quickbooks and a little analysis
01:37 PM on 03/15/13 
User Info.
MIKEtheCIRCUIT
No Avatar Selected
New Haven
Male
don't think that you need an accountant to help you calculate overhead/profit-margins...being a small business, I'd take advantage of not having to pay an accountant to take care of things you can probably handle with peachtree/quickbooks and a little analysis

Accountant here, I agree with this post. Stay away from hiring a CPA for as long as you possibly can. Do it yourself, It is not hard to figure stuff like that out. Hire a CPA to do your taxes and nothing else. Also, if you're going to hire someone for this, don't hire a CPA, hire a consultant that will be able to give you the information you are looking for as well as additional information/strategies that would ultimately help your business grow. Also, consultants as overpriced.

Summary: Besides your taxes, do everything else yourself always.
01:33 PM on 03/16/13 
User Info.
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
NJ
Male - 24 Years Old
I'm a CPA!
03:50 PM on 03/16/13 
User Info.
TorontoMatt
No Avatar Selected
I ended up spending the last few days crunching the numbers in excel and then quickbooks. Found some products priced too low, not even breakeven costs. So I fixed everything. It wasn't easy, especially for someone who has never taken an accounting class. But alas Duke proved well enough.

Doing taxes is always easy for me, and I have everything budgeted now correctly to account for it for next year.

Registering in delaware next week, no longer going to be a sole proprietor. Anyone live there that wouldn't mind getting some mail?
05:43 PM on 03/16/13 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 27 Years Old
This sounds like you're trying to get someone to do you're homework for a business class
04:31 PM on 03/17/13 
User Info.
AMackChuck
I am...Bakerguy
Maine
Male - 24 Years Old
This sounds like you're trying to get someone to do you're homework for a business class

Your**....I'm doing homework for English 101.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos