Password

Album Review

Right Away, Great Captain! - The Bitter End Album Cover

Right Away, Great Captain! - The Bitter End

Reviewed by
Right Away, Great Captian! - The Bitter End
Record Label: Favorite Gentleman Records
Release Date: January 14, 2007
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Andy Hull is quite possibly one of the best new songwriters of the past few years. Sure, he's not going to make Rolling Stone as the next Bright Eyes or Bob Dylan, and Pitchfork would probably write him off quicker than they would eat up the new Of Montreal album. Hull is as quiet as Sam Beam and possibly as metaphoric while possessing the simplicity of his friends and peers Jesse Lacey and Kevin Devine. With his main project, Manchester Orchestra, most can tell how Hull and co. take simple song structures and make them into something big and something real. The Bitter End is not going to be Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea or The Microphones's The Glow Pt. 2, but the raw underlining is present.

The Bitter End is the first installment of a three part project Hull is working on. The album has a boat leaving harbor in the 1600's with the lead character aboard. The lyrics read as a diary. For an entire review of the album, Hull has put up his reasoning in a blog on the band's Myspace page.

"Oh, Deceiver" begins the record with simple string plucks and Hull's quiet and questionable undertone of the lead character. From the very beginning, it's clear the character is unsure of his voyage, what will happen, and where he will end up. Anyone who has heard I'm Like a Virgin Losing a Child will find this common with Hull's songwriting. The same struggles with God ("Right Away, Great Captain," "Captain, I'm Fine and Thanks for Everything"), love ("Love Come Save Me"), and life in general ("Like Lions Do," "Cause I'm Scared of Dying") lie across this record.

Where The Bitter End falls is its length. While only a handful of songs seem to stand out on their own, the record works better as a whole. I feel the same way about The Glow Pt. 2 for the most part, though it's a wonderful album. My feelings are the same with this first part of Hull's quest. The record should be taken as a whole, and return listens will be few, but possibly wonderful when visited again, like great moderation.

I'm excited about where this project will travel next, and I believe Hull is always looking to expand on what he has previously done without abandoning his sound. Honesty and humbleness fill The Bitter End just as it does I'm Like a Virgin Losing a Child. Thank you Andy Hull, for being no greater than anyone in his room writing music just to themselves, or to someone higher, or just trying to get those thoughts and simple melodies out his head.

Recommended if You LikeManchester Orchestra, Kevin Devine, Iron & Wine, The Microphones

myspace.com/rightawaygreatcaptain

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
03:59 PM on 03/31/08
Parocks
User Info.
Kevin Devine?

I'm there.
04:18 PM on 03/31/08
airik625
-
User Info.
I like this review.

I love this record.

I love Andy Hull.
09:50 PM on 03/31/08
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Good review.

And this album is so amazing.
09:53 AM on 04/01/08
a.t.123
slap bet commissioner
User Info.
very good album
i agree that is more story like and needs to be listened to as a whole, a few tracks do stand out though
01:32 PM on 04/01/08
micahistheballs
AP's Resident Theology Student
User Info.
I absolutely love this record. The story and the lyrics are what makes it even more exceptional than it would be without them I believe.
08:09 PM on 04/02/08
Brit0tany4
You Want To Be Fooled
User Info.
I love this album.. :)
04:31 AM on 04/03/08
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Can I buy this as an actual cd? I can't find it.
09:30 AM on 04/03/08
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
this record is awesome.
09:40 AM on 04/03/08
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
Can I buy this as an actual cd? I can't find it.

I would guess, but probably through Favorite Gentleman's Web store or something...i just got it off of iTunes
04:24 PM on 04/03/08
PoisonInMyVeins
The government
User Info.
i prefer this over manchester.
02:45 PM on 04/05/08
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Good review, I love this album
04:44 PM on 04/05/08
Adrian Villagomez
Heading Over to See 'Bout This Girl
User Info.
The album art and concept intrigue me. I love stories of the sea. If I had it my way, there would be sea monsters involved (mix it up with mythology a bit).
01:09 PM on 04/06/08
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
Good review, I love this album

thanks, love that avatar, even though I like Change a bit more...
09:22 PM on 05/06/08
sleeper1987
User Info.
This is one of the most haunting albums I have ever heard. Can't wait for the second part.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos