AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

SXSW 2013: Day 3 (Friday)

Posted by - 07:11 AM on 03/16/13
Hit the replies for recaps of SXSW Day 3: Friday from Paul Tao, Lueda Alia and I. Be sure to check out the Day 1 and Day 2 recaps as well. Come back every day to read reviews of the rest of the days as well. Follow @apnetatshow on Twitter for random thoughts and reviews during the day.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
07:12 AM on 03/16/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Ryan GardnerFeel free to follow me on Twitter @RyanGardnerC for updates throughout the day.

For day 3 of South By, I was primarily focused on hanging out at the Equal Vision Records Showcase. With a line up including The Dear Hunter, I The Mighty, and Ed Tullett, I couldn’t miss it.

With Never Joy being one of my favorite records to play at night or on rainy days in the last few months, I couldn’t wait to see Ed Tullett live. While it was a bit odd hearing such soft, intricate music while the sun was shining in the background, Tullett’s was just as tantalizing and delicate as I would have hoped for. The usage of occasional vocal layering effects also added to the atmospheric nature of the set.

Northern Faces were up next. Somehow, prior to this show, I had never heard of them before. Their set was incredibly appealing nonetheless, as the band definitely has the gritty vibe of Manchester Orchestra and the like. I instantly marked this band down to check out soon, and I advise you to check out their material as well.

Kurt Travis (of A Lot Like Birds) played next with Hail The Sun as his backup band. Travis sounded incredible live, just as I’d expected. “Let’s Remember Time” and “Wha Happened” came across great in a live setting, with Travis’ voice sounding a lot like Anthony Green. Following Travis,
I unfortunately missed Pretty & Nice’s set because I needed to grab some lunch.

Admittedly, I hadn’t spent a lot of time with I The Mighty’s latest EP, Karma Never Sleeps, save for just some casual listening here and there. The band’s live show was top notch though. Their musicianship – particularly the guitar work – was tight and some of the best I’ve seen on South By thus far. Vocalist Brent Walsh dominated the mic, with his range also being a superb highlight of the set. Also, their new song, which I believe is called “Some Say It’s Your Loss,” has my hopes very high for their next record. It’s very chorus-driven, which makes it ridiculously catchy.

When I first heard Set It Off’s Cinematics record last year, it just didn’t really click with me. Maybe I just didn’t get it. Maybe I didn’t spend enough time with it. I don’t know. However, seeing their incredibly theatrical live show, I now see why this band is blowing up so fast. Think Sleeping With Sirens’ vocal presence mixed with the theatrics of Panic! At The Disco or My Chemical Romance. Frontman Cody Carson really puts on a show – he absolutely commands the crowd, making sure everyone is off their feet. I now see why they titled the record Cinematics, as that is the band way to describe the band – it was more like watching a theatre performance or musical than a band play, which was simply fascinating.

I didn’t catch most of HRVRD’s set due to catching up with some people and grabbing water. I’m incredibly bummed I missed the show, as I’ve heard many great things about the band lately. However, seeing heard The Dear Hunter finish off the showcase was something else. Wow. Everyone I talked to throughout the day commented on how amazing their live show was, and they weren’t kidding. Casey Crescenzo is easily one of the best vocalists I have ever seen live (if not the best), let alone him being among the top tier live vocalists in our scene. The man can go from singing a mellow harmony to his signature frantic near-scream in an instant – and he can do so with perfect control and execution, at that. The band put on one of the most flawless and top-notch shows I have ever seen.

The showcase made me re-realize exactly why EVR is one of the top labels out there today. There’s a sense of consistently across the board for all of their bands that goes nearly unmatched by other labels.

For day 4, I think I’ll be dividing my time between the Bridge 9 Records showcase to see What’s Eating Gilbert, Weatherbox, Octaves, etc., and the Alt Press showcase to see Frank Turner, Forever Came Calling, Andrew WK, etc.

Paul TaoFollow me on twitter (@paultao) for more up-to-the-minute updates throughout the day if you'd like.

My third day of SXSW this year was definitely my lightest, as I decided to cram all of my meetings into one day so that I didn't have to do meetings off and on throughout the week. After hours and hours of sitting in a dim hotel lobby chugging coffees and having meetings, I was able to break out to at least check out a little bit of music.

I was over at the House of Vans at Mohawk and caught a bit of Jetta (nice voice but one of the songs sounded way too much like Adele to me) and then Doldrums, who were as experimental as, to be honest, I would have assumed from their name. Icona Pop were also fantastic live, with all of the high energy that America has fallen in love with with their single "I Love It".

I biked over to the Sonos Studio after and caught the tail end of Kitten's set, one of my favorite LA bands who seems to always be on the verge of something great. Incredible live performance with one of the best frontwomen in rock and roll. After grabbing dinner and chilling for a few (I was trying to go to Urban Outfitters for their shows but the wait for a cab was two hours, so that wasn't happening), I walked by the Pandora show and just happened to catch a bit of Angel Haze, the hottest up-and-coming rapper in NYC. Just listen to her version of Eminem's "Cleaning Out My Closet" and you'll see why. I saw another set of Lord Huron after Angel Haze, at their official showcase for their booking agency, where the venue hit capacity soon after, and then couldn't see any more afterwards as my feet were killing me.

Lueda AliaComing soon
11:42 AM on 03/16/13
JuneJuly
Allez l'OL
User Info.
come on, Eda!
11:59 AM on 03/16/13
thisisadisaster
RICK FROM ALABAMA
User Info.
I SAW USHER AND AFGHAN WHIGS Y'ALL ALL JEALOUS
02:42 PM on 03/16/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
^Usher played SXSW? Crazy.

Edit: Really glad Paul mentioned Angel Haze. So good. Thanks for putting it together, guys.
02:58 PM on 03/16/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Can someone pleaaase go to this:

06:28 PM on 03/16/13
ViTOP
http://twitter.com/VitoPagano
User Info.
[fs=Ryan Gardner]Feel free to follow me on Twitter @RyanGardnerC for updates throughout the day.

When I first heard Set It Off’s Cinematics record last year, it just didn’t really click with me. Maybe I just didn’t get it. Maybe I didn’t spend enough time with it. I don’t know. However, seeing their incredibly theatrical live show, I now see why this band is blowing up so fast. Think Sleeping With Sirens’ vocal presence mixed with the theatrics of Panic! At The Disco or My Chemical Romance. Frontman Cody Carson really puts on a show – he absolutely commands the crowd, making sure everyone is off their feet. I now see why they titled the record Cinematics, as that is the band way to describe the band – it was more like watching a theatre performance or musical than a band play, which was simply fascinating.

This band is primed for Warped Tour and I cant wait !!!
this is "THAT" band that emerges from the Tour Victorious.

Hard Working Dudes and they deserve it!!
08:29 PM on 03/16/13
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.
I'm glad Eda's doing such hard work.
10:57 PM on 03/16/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
I can safely say I've never even heard the name of a single act that Paul saw Day 1-3 now.
12:29 PM on 03/17/13
iarelevy
User Info.
Got to see Andrew McMahon, Twin Falls, and City & Colour at The Stage On Sixth.

Andrew McMahon and the band played quite a few Jack's Mannequin songs, two Something Corporate songs (I Woke Up In A Car, 21 & Invincible), and I think two new ones.

Twin Falls played three Dashboard songs (The Places You Have Come To Fear the Most (I think), Vindicated, and Hands Down).

Also ran into Chad Gilbert on the streets and what I thought was Kreayshawn but was actually Lil' Debbie. Apparently they look identical.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos