AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 39
01:02 PM on 04/03/13
sammyboy516
User Info.
Last record was good, people hate change and are stuck in the past on too many bands.
01:21 PM on 04/03/13
streetcar
User Info.
How is that ive always known Max was a big blink fan??
01:29 PM on 04/03/13
SteveLikesMusic
I'm A Man, Dammit
User Info.
Just read Polarity, it's awesome.
01:31 PM on 04/03/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Last record was good, people hate change and are stuck in the past on too many bands.
that's what I'm saying - all his records have been good to great.
01:40 PM on 04/03/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
How is that ive always known Max was a big blink fan??
His Blink covers were the first thing I ever heard of his ... I think he was like 15 at the time. Hah.
02:23 PM on 04/03/13
MelissaMDaniels
in the disenchantment lane
User Info.
Aww, great interview. Very awesome to hear about his family.
02:44 PM on 04/03/13
streetcar
User Info.
His Blink covers were the first thing I ever heard of his ... I think he was like 15 at the time. Hah.
I knew you would know. I was actually about to just pm you.
02:57 PM on 04/03/13
bobcatbob18
Hang your secrets
User Info.
Going beyond the fact that Say Anything is an exceptional band, and that Max is an fabulous writer, it is seeing interviews like this that allow me to really open to different styles of music; to open up to change. Music is meant to be an art, and if you asked any band (at least most), they would tell they play because they want to create art. But then when it comes to interviews, some groups are handed these questions and they give as short of answers as possible.

I'm not trying to say that this means that aren't creating art, or don't care about the listeners, because some people just honestly aren't as good as expressing themselves in interview settings, but some do have a stick up their ass. Then you get someone like Max, and he is excited to have a conversation. And then I'm excited about everything he is doing, and then when I get that new music (or think back on past cds) and I don't dig it at first, I listen through again, and again, and before I know it, I love it. It really just makes a world of difference for me.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Polarity is fantastic, Perma should be a nice change up, Two Tongues is always welcomed, and a new SA record down the road is always something I will be anticipating. You go, Max!
03:49 PM on 04/03/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
Eh, I don't think that's the case for everyone here. Hell, 'most' might even be a reach.

I'm cool with a band venturing outside their comfort zone and growing. I just didn't get that vibe from Anarchy. To me, it felt like a watered-down version of their other albums and not really 'change'
04:56 PM on 04/03/13
cody_rosebalm
User Info.
Right around when Anarchy was released, I wrote basically a term paper of a review here giving the record a little below a 5/10 and backing up the score by mapping out why I love Say Anything and what parts of the record lacked those qualities. The point of me mentioning it is that I worked on that analysis harder than I've worked on any analysis I've written in my college career. Yes, I still probably fall under Max's "stinker" category for writing it, but I spent so much time editing it and making it read as constructive criticism because I can only count on one hand the number of bands that have influenced my view of music and writing it in the way Say Anything has.

I spent summers driving my friends around listening to Say Anything records front to back. I asked out a girl in high school via text (my confidence wasn't the best back then) and put on a playlist of all the sappy, acoustic Say Anything songs to calm my nerves. Without bludgeoning the point to death, this band has had a massive stake on my teenage years and continue to bring me back because of just how Max reads in this interview: open, honest, accepting, and loving to anyone who gives Say Anything a chance. Really loved this interview, definitely solidifies that I'd follow this band anywhere/through anything.
I would love to read that paper on "Anarchy, My Dear"
05:19 PM on 04/03/13
surgerone
User Info.
Say Anything is the kind of band that you always give a chance to, even if you didn't enjoy their last record.
Excited for the future.
This exact thought kept popping into my head as I read through the interview.
05:42 PM on 04/03/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
The best part is that I had zero questions planned - Max just called me up and we just had an hour long conversation. One of the best and easiest people to talk to.
07:24 PM on 04/03/13
bobcatbob18
Hang your secrets
User Info.
Great interview, Drew! Max does, indeed, seem like a great dude to chat with about music or life in general.
08:55 PM on 04/03/13
Modern Leper
what?
User Info.
So like Anarchy, the first 4 songs will be great and the rest stinkers? I have nothing against being inspired by having a baby, that's surely one of the most inspiring things possible. But I still don't think I'll like hearing the songs about it. Like, I've been in love but I don't really like love songs. Who knows though!
11:44 PM on 04/03/13
kbomb001
Jesus Saves
User Info.
Say Anything is the kind of band that you always give a chance to, even if you didn't enjoy their last record.
Excited for the future.
hear hear

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests