We wanted to pick something simple and yet had a fun vibe to it. We started to go through 80's movie titles to get some ideas and we stumbled upon the legendary BMX movie Rad. At that point the decision was easy.
2. How did this band get started?
The idea to put together the band came from our singer Joey Kirk and his twin brother Danny. They wanted to start a project that we could have a lot of fun in and be able to do pretty much whatever we want, that was the most important thing. So they called upon a few friends that shared similar interests in raging, rocking, shredding, etc. Joey came up with the riff for 'Balthazar,' and the first jam session we had we wrote pretty the whole song. From that moment we knew the project was gonna be Rad!
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Our biggest influences are metal and heavy music legends like : Refused, Dillinger Escape Plan, Glassjaw, Every Time I Die, Deftones and of course John Coltrane. But you can't forget Taylor Swift, Too $hort, New Edition and Wham!
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Prince. Merely based on the fact that it would be amazing to watch him play every night. Plus there's ladddddddiiiiiieeesssss!!! And the Beatles too because that reunion tour would sell out fo sho!
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Pizza DUH!!!. Because its cheap and every region does it differently so you could spend a good amount of time finding the 'perfect slice'
6. Why should people listen to your band?
They shouldn't. At least if they are older they shouldn't because they could possibly have some kind of heart failure. We like to play loud, fast, and with a lot of energy. But we also like to play stuff thats technical and melodic. So if your'e into that kinda thing you should check us out.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
LeBron James cuz he's got a mean 3-pointer and he's friends with Kanye West
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
We would thank our parents for letting us pursue music and not have to get real jobs like working at the mall or something.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The music industry.
10. Memorable tour experience?
We once played a show in the city of Industry in front about 6 people. 2 of which being an elderly couple (probably in their 60s) that was there just to drink at the bar. We were the last band and didn't end up playing until almost closing but they ended up watching our whole set and came up to us afterwards to tell us we were awesome. Showed me that people in their 60s still like to party.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It actually means a lot! We are always checking in to catch the news and interviews with some of our favorite bands. I'd have to say our favorite part of the site is the "From the Office of Dr. Keith Buckley" section. He's got quite the knack for tickling our funny bones.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
We've got a newer song called "H.A.F" it has a little bit of everything in it. But "Dig Dug" is the heaviest song we have and everyone usually goes crazy when we're playing it.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
The City of Compton.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Anytime Alanis Morrisette comes on, I instantly think back to when I was a kid watching the video of her pretty much naked except for her hair covering her naughty bits and remembering how stoked I was to see an "almost naked" woman.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
That's a tough one but I'd have to say some kind of 'Insta-Pit' power where you can summon a circle pit at the snap of a finger. Have you ever been to a Terror show bro???
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
At least one beer and a group hi-five gets the job done
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Joey (singer) used to be in a Smash Mouth cover band, Nathan (Bass) is really from Canada, Danny (drummer) is actually a robot, Ben(guitar) once went sky diving with Tiger Woods, and Brandon (guitar) used to be a stand in for the lead character on the Nickelodeon show 'Pete and Pete'.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Radio is like a local show in Hollywood, you gotta pay to play.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
We all pretty much just work on other music projects in our spare time but for the most part we like to kick it in the streets and play roller hockey.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Nathan can make a basket from half court with no shoes on. He learned it in his time with the Harlem Globetrotters.