Password

Album Review
Terror - Live By The Code Album Cover

Terror - Live By The Code

Reviewed by
Terror - Live By The Code
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: April 9, 2013

Going on some ten plus years in the hardcore scene, Terror has been around the block a few times. They seem to have figured out, a long time ago actually, that they are a through and through hardcore band, one that often will rely more on staples of the genre and keeping the genre fun for everyone rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. And really, Terror showed on their last LP Keepers Of The Faith – both literally and figuratively – it was more than just okay to have that mindset. While across the board Keepers was good enough for already fans and not too flashy to scare them away in the process, it just didn’t click on all cylinders as much as it could have. Enter Live By The Code. We can have a little chuckle about how similar in message the title and subsequent lyrics are in terms of a connecting the dots between the two. But Live By The Code is everything Keepers was and wasn’t – knocking off some of the rust the band showed last time around while creating an often in-your-face, yet enjoyable hardcore record that simply just clicks when it truly needs to.

To be quite honest, Live By The Code is through and through a hardcore record that doesn’t overly rely on any one method of generating energy, whether that be relentless tempos, crunching riffs or sharp guitar solos that grace the record at various moments. “The Most High” slips in with a bit of feedback and a gritty enough pulser of a riff that provides plenty of energy without losing sight of Scott Vogel’s unfolding story – it’s a common theme for an album that tries to just have fun while bringing some decent messages to the table instead of beating us over the head with rhetoric from front to back.

Riffs from tracks like “I’m Only Stronger” and “Hard Lessons” are pretty tough to shake in the wake of the former taking on some peculiar guitar tones and the latter showing itself to be a pulsing jammer with sharp lyrical bites to boot. On the flip though, there are moments where the record just seems to be going through the proverbial motions, for better or worse. “Not Impressed” is ripe with buzzing guitars and biting lyrics, but for as enjoyable as it can be, it simply seems a bit too flat compared to some of the more interesting cuts this record brings later on, namely “Shot of Reality” or “Invasion”.

And while the disc is certainly enjoyable in its own write, Terror doesn’t seem to be out to re-invent the wheel – but perhaps refine the vehicle they drive it on. Live By The Code rounds itself out to be the soundtrack to a mosh-filled evening, and I’m not sure the band would have it any other way. But in the end, whether you’re a newer Terror fan or you’ve been sticking with the band for some number of years, Live By The Code is sure to get you in the pit – whether that pit exists in a sweaty club or your unsuspecting living room.
This review is a user submitted review from Jason Gardner. You can see all of Jason Gardner's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
08:53 AM on 04/09/13
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
will be listening to this soon
10:47 AM on 04/09/13
Chrisj182
User Info.
Great album, not as good as KOTF for me though.
12:04 PM on 04/09/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
I don't mean to be a jerk, but it surprises me that this could get more than a 6/10. I haven't heard this, but knowing hxc and that until recently I had 4 Terror CDs (had to trash them, didn't stand the test of time) this bad has really stayed the same throughout their career and has offered little in terms of innovation.
01:23 PM on 04/09/13
shoop
User Info.
Very pleased with this one.
05:56 PM on 04/09/13
OldJersey
I respect women
User Info.
I don't mean to be a jerk, but it surprises me that this could get more than a 6/10. I haven't heard this, but knowing hxc and that until recently I had 4 Terror CDs (had to trash them, didn't stand the test of time) this bad has really stayed the same throughout their career and has offered little in terms of innovation.
Are you really trying to give an opinion completely based on assumption without listening? Come on now....

Look forward to giving this a spin.

And who just trashs cds? Da fuq?
06:19 PM on 04/09/13
WeltallAY
User Info.
Are you really trying to give an opinion completely based on assumption without listening? Come on now....

Look forward to giving this a spin.

And who just trashs cds? Da fuq?

Normally I wouldn't make such a blatant assumption but seeing how the 5 CDs I owned sounded all very similar with no extreme differentiation I think it's fairly safe to assume this one will follow suite. I meant "trash" as in axe them from my collection. I have them in a pile to sell, do you want them?
09:47 PM on 04/13/13
superBMRuth
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit
User Info.
Normally I wouldn't make such a blatant assumption but seeing how the 5 CDs I owned sounded all very similar with no extreme differentiation I think it's fairly safe to assume this one will follow suite. I meant "trash" as in axe them from my collection. I have them in a pile to sell, do you want them?
How much you want?
10:25 PM on 04/13/13
WeltallAY
User Info.
I'm not picky, make me an offer. I have Lowest Of The Low, One With The Underdogs, Always The Hard Way, and The Damned The Shamed - all complete.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos