AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Morrissey News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Morrissey: Still Not a Margaret Thatcher Fan

Posted by - 01:48 PM on 04/09/13
In the replies you can read Morrissey's statement on the recent death of former United Kingdom Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 93
01:48 PM on 04/09/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Morrissey's Statement on ThatcherThe difficulty with giving a comment on Margaret Thatcher's death to the British tabloids is that, no matter how calmly and measuredly you speak, the comment must be reported as an "outburst" or an "explosive attack" if your view is not pro-establishment. If you reference "the Malvinas", it will be switched to "the Falklands", and your "Thatcher" will be softened to a "Maggie." This is generally how things are structured in a non-democratic society. Thatcher's name must be protected not because of all the wrong that she had done, but because the people around her allowed her to do it, and therefore any criticism of Thatcher throws a dangerously absurd light on the entire machinery of British politics. Thatcher was not a strong or formidable leader. She simply did not give a shit about people, and this coarseness has been neatly transformed into bravery by the British press who are attempting to re-write history in order to protect patriotism. As a result, any opposing view is stifled or ridiculed, whereas we must all endure the obligatory praise for Thatcher from David Cameron without any suggestion from the BBC that his praise just might be an outburst of pro-Thatcher extremism from someone whose praise might possibly protect his own current interests. The fact that Thatcher ignited the British public into street-riots, violent demonstrations and a social disorder previously unseen in British history is completely ignored by David Cameron in 2013. In truth, of course, no British politician has ever been more despised by the British people than Margaret Thatcher. Thatcher's funeral on Wednesday will be heavily policed for fear that the British tax-payer will want to finally express their view of Thatcher. They are certain to be tear-gassed out of sight by the police.

United Kingdom? Syria? China? What's the difference?
01:52 PM on 04/09/13
scott!athedisco
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
homeboy seems like a douche
01:56 PM on 04/09/13
longstoryshort_
User Info.
He's not wrong.
02:02 PM on 04/09/13
Chuck!
Chip wtf are you doing
User Info.
Quote:
United Kingdom? Syria? China? What's the difference?

I can think of a few.
02:03 PM on 04/09/13
TheCochino
User Info.
the TL;DR version of this is: Thatcher was like literally Hitler.
02:11 PM on 04/09/13
tell that mick
@sup_mick
User Info.
Not that he is incorrect or I disagree, but does Morrissey like anyone?
02:13 PM on 04/09/13
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
Quote:
In truth, of course, no British politician has ever been more despised by the British people than Margaret Thatcher.
i wonder if he includes royalty in the class of politicians.
02:14 PM on 04/09/13
Spencer Control
you won't sink em into me
User Info.
He just continually whittles away at my respect for him. I understand that he didn't like what Thatcher stood for - and perhaps justifiably so, although I can't say either way for certain - but there's a time and a place for these sort of statements. Maybe when she was alive, and you could, you know, do something about what she was doing. Not right after she passes away. Have some respect for another human being and her loved ones. Jerk.
02:15 PM on 04/09/13
renedex
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Spot on.
02:15 PM on 04/09/13
pennie
GOONER
User Info.
cant argue with that. Horrific woman.
02:18 PM on 04/09/13
renedex
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
He just continually whittles away at my respect for him. I understand that he didn't like what Thatcher stood for - and perhaps justifiably so, although I can't say either way for certain - but there's a time and a place for these sort of statements. Maybe when she was alive, and you could, you know, do something about what she was doing. Not right after she passes away. Have some respect for another human being and her loved ones. Jerk.

Oh yeah, that inviolable respect we must have for all human beings and their lives- irrespective of what a person did in their life and the abhorrent atrocities they had agency in.

Like all the respect we gave Bin Laden immediately after he died, for example.
02:19 PM on 04/09/13
The Summer Ends
COYS
User Info.
hahahahahahahahahahahhahaha

oh my god, morrissey bringing the comedy gold again
longstoryshort_
User Info.
I think his statement is mostly acknowledging that she is being praised and there's an outpouring of positive messages from news outlets when in reality she caused a lot of damage to people's lives through her policies. This is nothing compared to some of the other things people have said following the news of her death...
Hail Lelouch
User Info.
"United Kingdom? Syria? China? What's the difference?"

urh

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT