AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

What Say You - 04.10.13

Interviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (04/10/13)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

What Say You

www.whatsayyouband.com
www.facebook.com/whatsayyouband
www.youtube.com/whatsayyouband

1. How did you get your band name?

Our singer Joshua was partying with some friends, and got on one of those rages where a phrase just gets caught in the conversation, and WHAT SAY YOU!?!? kept coming up. Seemed fitting for a pop punk band. Voila!

2. How did this band get started?

We all met through various connections from previous bands, and once we realized that we all wanted to promote the music scene and spread positivity among the youth, we decided we were a good fit. You have to have common bonds to hold your band together.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Pop punk and metal. (We all come from metal backgrounds but wanted to do clean vocals and pop punk.) A Day To Remember, Four Year Strong, Rise Against, Thrice, New Found Glory, Paramore and Story Of The Year.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Past: Maybe NOFX. Their music is so great, and their live show has so much energy. We could learn a lot from them on a day to day level, also their professionalism with regards to their label and such.

Present: Blink-182. They have evolved so much in their sound, and seem like they really have fun on stage. Both these aspects are things we value hugely.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

BBQ. The guys will tell you that all I want to eat is BBQ. Maybe we can have a 'national bbq contest' while we're on tour, and fans can come judge with us? Also, it's super filling. One meal a day is plenty.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

We will make you smile. We may make you hug your neighbor at the show... You will want to jump up and down and enjoy yourself for a furious half hour.

We bring a metal influence to pop punk, but we have clean and catchy vocals. A lot of pop punk can get stale and boring with basic power chords, we bring that up a level, so you can appreciate the musical technicality, and still bask in the catchy hooks to sing along with.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Danny Way - Pro skateboarder. He is an innovator and an absolute man among men. Seen him take so many huge falls and just get back up and push harder.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

May sound generic, but in all honesty, the fans in the music scene. This whole music scene revolves around the fans and without fans we are nothing. We are fans ourselves and go out to see just about as many shows as we end up playing. We're involved and meet people at shows and make friends. It's what we live for and it's what we enjoy.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I know its great that there's such a free-for-all with regards to people putting out their music, but I'd like to see some kind of filter where the GOOD bands still get more exposure so we don't have to wade through so much mediocre music just to hear the good stuff.

10. Memorable tour experience?

We haven't toured with this band yet. Looking forward to the memories to come in the next few months though, specifically a lot of BBQ from around the country.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

Every night we get up on stage, we thank the fans and encourage them to support the music scene. It's not all about us, it's about the whole. AP.net is a huge aspect of that scene. Fans finding music and friends online. It provides a forum for those of us that are always seeking musical connections to find friends and learn new things.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Potentials. It's our closer, it usually has a good mosh pit and everyone jumping up and down. Great energy and memorable hook leaves the crowd satisfied.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Hawaii. I try to go as often as possible, I love the retreat and the laid back vibe that you get after just a few days.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

My first memories of music was musical renditions of Shel Silverstein poems. Then I graduated to Gorilla Biscuits, Minor Threat, NOFX, Strung Out, and Good Riddance.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

The ability to teleport. Just being able to go somewhere instantaneously would open up so many options! Imagine eating breakfast in Prague, then digesting while sitting on the beach in Hawaii, then meet a friend for a jog in New York, then playing a show in Australia, all without having to sit on a plane or car? Amazing.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Well, I warm up. Boring...but gotta be ready to give it our all on stage every time. Play like its your last... We also spend time meeting the other bands and helping them load out their gear from their trailers. Help each other out. It's how it should be.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I played in a metal band for six years called Operation Downfall. So when I play and people go 'damn you play some metal stuff!' it all comes together... Paul was in a metal band called From A Second Story Window. Serious metal chops in this band.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

I think radio has actually gotten better recently with the influx of more indie music. The DJs seem to be open to more music than just the 'hit singles' from the big labels. I think OUR band could definitely flourish on radio. Mainstream rock radio like KROQ (LA) or 98.7 (LA) would enjoy our band's hooks, but still maintaining a fresh edge musically.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

I go to shows. I know it seems monotonous, but you just can't beat the energy and camaraderie of a live show at a venue like the Roxy or something. Meeting new and old friends there, and learning about new bands never gets old. And on the way home I listen to death metal like Whitechapel.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I have surface piercings in the back of my neck. I like piercings. Besides that I was a sponsored skateboarder, so I can skate better than most people I know I guess. That's it.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums