AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

The Semester Review - 04.17.13

Interviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (04/17/13)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The Semester Review

http://www.facebook.com/TheSemesterReview
https://twitter.com/SemesterReview
http://www.youtube.com/TheSemesterReview

Free music: http://thesemesterreview.bandcamp.com/

Music Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgXm0aU4ing

1. How did you get your band name?

Our guitarist, Gabe, was doing a semester review at the time, so it kind of just stuck.

2. How did this band get started?

Josh's old band was ending, and so was mine (Austin), so he asked his old members to join a new band he was making. They recorded a demo with computer made drum tracks and I sent Josh a message saying I could play drums. So, we jammed and I knew the songs; we were also pretty comfortable with each other right from the start, so they just told me I was in.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Lots of early pop punk bands. Blink-182 and the Starting Line are at the top of the list. We also gain influences from New Found Glory and Take This to Your Grave era Fall Out Boy.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Blink-182 would be amazing to tour with. I feel like our sound and theirs go very well together. Again, Fall Out Boy. They just got back together, and it'd be pretty sweet to share the stage with them. We played with The Story So Far this back December, and they are all pretty down to Earth guys. I wouldn't mind playing shows with a band like them either, but we're super poppy so maybe that wouldn't work out as well.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

We haven't been on tour yet, but we may get something going in the summer. On the way to shows, we indulge in either Wendy's or gas station food. They're the best foods to eat before a show for us. Both are pretty good and hella cheap! No fine dining for the Semester Review.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

To try out some new music? Maybe people would find something new they enjoy! We work hard, and we're still young and fresh. We're pretty cute, too. A lot of the music we make is reminiscent of the early 2000s pop punk sound, so we're a little more poppy, but not an annoying type of poppy. We allude to the boys and the girls. We put out a couple of EPs that people seem to really like as well, and we absolutely love our fans. We are totally grateful to have people out there who support us from all across the world, and we would love to see more people like that enjoying our music. It's energetic, it's angsty, it's pretty happy as well. What more could you ask for?

7. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Thanks to everybody who listened to and downloaded our EP back when we were just a local, grammy-less pop punk band. Thanks to our parents for being our first real supporters. Huge thanks to every singe person who has ever went to a show we played or walked up to us and said hi. Thanks to everyone in the Arizona scene for making us feel at ease as well.

8. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I don't know. It seems like a lot of the stuff that labels and everything in the music industry did can be matched with social networking and media. If you play your cards right, you don't need a label to distribute your music anymore, which is amazing. Things have really become more independent and it's about time that the musicians used these tools to take the music into our own hands. I don't think there's anything to really change about the industry right now, since lots of it is becoming DIY.

9. Memorable tour experience?

We haven't been on tour yet, but maybe we will be out and about this summer. I remember before a show, Josh and I were on the freeway to get to the venue, and he was joking about how it would be great if more people drove like he does. Immediately after that, we almost got in a crash with another car at 65 miles per hour. Then we just gave each other a high five because it was super crazy.

10. What does AP.net mean to you?

To us AP.net means a lot. Everyone on the site is so focused on not only bringing people music from bands that they already know, but you people also take the time to get some unsigned bands in the spotlight. That's just great for us and so many bands like us all across the world. It shows that it almost doesn't matter if you're signed or not to be cared about.

11. What is your favorite song to play?

I hope you mean our favorite song of ours, or I'm gonna come across as incredibly cocky.

They almost change with the seasons. The fast songs are super righteous to play. We have one called "Not That I Want to", which is on our first EP, but that one's cool because it's so fast. Probably our favorite one collectively and overall would be "Lily Cole Belongs with Me", off of our second EP, How to Get to Third Base. It's arguably our most popular song, so lots of people know it and sing along.

12. What is your vacation spot of choice?

I dig California or New York. I'm sure Josh loves the Philippines (kidding!)

13. What music reminds you of your childhood?

I remember when I was five listening to Smash Mouth and Goldfinger. That is some nostalgic stuff. I kind of hate both of those bands now, though.

14. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

The power to have everybody like our music. We're cooler than Justin Bieber.

15. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Not really. We just go up there and do our thing. A lot of the times, we don't even have a real setlist so maybe making a setlist could be a pre-show ritual in the future.

16. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I read a book called Looking for Alaska by John Green and now it's my favorite book. It's not even a boyish book.
Besides our band, Gabe has this super cool thing going on with emo music. He's writing demos and stuff for it, but it's totally cool.
Cole, our bassist, is going to Tokyo, Japan for his mission on the day this band formed actually. August 7, 2013.
Josh and I do this thing where, in the middle of conversations, we'd just freeze for an insane amount of time. It's almost uncomfortable, but it's extremely weird.

17. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

I think if people gave us a shot, it'd be a place we may be able to flourish. Lots of the stuff on the radio is mainstream pop and autotuned garbage, but there are also some very great modern bands that get airtime as well. I actually read an article recently that stated that even with all of this modern technology like MP3 players and Spotify, millions upon millions of people still listen to the radio. It has stood the test of time. We've been on the radio a few times, but it'd be cool to be in rotation more.

18. What do you like to do in your spare time?

We like to just chill as friends, go to shows, scream at people on the streets. Just normal teenager things.

19. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Josh can clap his testicles on his thighs. They sound like real claps too. He could definitely make money off of that. Other than him, I don't think Gabe, Cole, or I have hidden talents, so it's better to ride the coattails of the ball-clapping boy.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests