Username
Password
Twitter News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Twitter
Inside AP.net

Twitter Launched A Music App and It's Called #Music

Posted by: Thomas Nassiff (04/18/13)
Twitter has today launched its music app for the whole wide world to use. Twitter #Music can be accessed at music.twitter.com and there's a separate app for iPhone as well. It's based around discovering new music, of course, and seeing what music is popular on Twitter in real time. You can listen to music in Spotify or Rdio with the user interface, and buy music on iTunes as well. Play around with the new service and let us know your thoughts in the replies.
Today, we're releasing Twitter #music, a new service that will change the way people find music, based on Twitter. It uses Twitter activity, including Tweets and engagement, to detect and surface the most popular tracks and emerging artists. It also brings artistsí music-related Twitter activity front and center: go to their profiles to see which music artists they follow and listen to songs by those artists. And, of course, you can tweet songs right from the app.

The songs on Twitter #music currently come from three sources: iTunes, Spotify or Rdio. By default, you will hear previews from iTunes when exploring music in the app. Subscribers to Rdio and Spotify can log in to their accounts to enjoy full tracks that are available in those respective catalogs. We will continue to explore and add other music service providers.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 54.
07:32 AM on 04/18/13
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
I hope this isn't confuddled and shit.

I love Twitter for it's simplicity. Don't go the way of FB..
07:36 AM on 04/18/13
Tilde
Rudiger.
User Info.
I don't think this is a bad idea, I just think it's going to be a lot less useful than they had hoped for.
07:39 AM on 04/18/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Very cool UI. I just don't want recommendations from popular people on Twitter or my friends (most of the time), so this isn't really useful to me.
07:42 AM on 04/18/13
cantbesaved
you are the sheep; i am the wolf
User Info.
Nice, I'd rather make my own choices for music though. Rather not just go by what's popular.
07:45 AM on 04/18/13
Dre Okorley
HC Punk Afficionado / @dreokorley
User Info.
Could be cool. I can always get recs from my friends, so this is just different angle of marketing I might be able to get into.
07:47 AM on 04/18/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Just seems like a more mass version of Hype Machine.
07:50 AM on 04/18/13
oneeightytwo
#TGG
User Info.
Be interesting to see how this ends up. Could be like Google+.
07:54 AM on 04/18/13
Tyler Dumont
@tylerdumont
User Info.
I can't seem to find the iOS app anywhere in the app store. Am I searching for the wrong thing, is it called Twitter #music, just #music?
07:57 AM on 04/18/13
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
So without a Spotify or Rdio account or the need to listen to what's popular, this is useless to me?
07:57 AM on 04/18/13
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
I can't seem to find the iOS app anywhere in the app store. Am I searching for the wrong thing, is it called Twitter #music, just #music?
I got it from the link up there^
07:58 AM on 04/18/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Just seems like a more mass version of Hype Machine.
They combined forces with WeAreHunted if that rings any bells.
07:58 AM on 04/18/13
dragani
User Info.
The homepage only has previews of each song featured, and if you want to listen to the full song you have to choose your music service (ie: leave twitter to listen to it on spotify).

This sort of thing can only work for a tweet: someone posts something about the news/their life, then links to a news article/picture. Sure. That's the essence of twitter. But music? No thank you. I don't need to be on a page where twitter selects its 'top artists' and directs me to 30-second clips of these songs which can easily be heard on youtube or grooveshark in their entirety.
08:03 AM on 04/18/13
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
I plan on checking this out, but I don't have high hopes for it being useful. I'm actually shocked a music-based social network hasn't really taken off just yet. There's a few out there that I found to be fun (Spotify, LastFM) but they're all fairly limited in one way or another.
08:06 AM on 04/18/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Here's a direct link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/twit...1612?ls=1&mt=8
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests