Password

Album Review

Kurt Vile - Wakin on a Pretty Daze Album Cover

Kurt Vile - Wakin on a Pretty Daze

Reviewed by
Kurt Vile - Wakin on a Pretty Daze
Record Label: Matador
Release Date: April 9, 2013
This review is a user submitted review from Jeremy Aaron. You can see all of Jeremy Aaron's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
02:02 PM on 04/24/13
SmeezyBeezy
DahBuhDeezy
User Info.
WAKIN ON A PRETTY DAY IS THE BEST SINGLE OF THE YEAR
03:06 PM on 04/24/13
dhayes
User Info.
WAKIN ON A PRETTY DAY IS THE BEST SINGLE OF THE YEAR

WHY ARE WE YELLING?!

Srsly tho, probably my favorite album so far this year...

...until Trouble Will Find Me comes out.

edit- Jeremy, speaking of The National, are you reviewing the new one? Your review of High Violet is my favorite review I've read on this site.
07:13 PM on 04/24/13
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
WHY ARE WE YELLING?!

Srsly tho, probably my favorite album so far this year...

...until Trouble Will Find Me comes out.

edit- Jeremy, speaking of The National, are you reviewing the new one? Your review of High Violet is my favorite review I've read on this site.

I appreciate that someone remembers that one, considering it was three years ago. I guess a lot of people liked it at the time, and I'm glad for that, but I couldn't have written that review without the album being what it was.

Someone else is handling Trouble currently, but if they end up not doing it I may take it on. This review was my first foray into reviewing since the Avett Brothers album last fall, and it kind of happened by accident. Just starting typing random thoughts and voila. I'm in an inspired frame of mind at the moment, so I'll probably be more active in the near future, but I don't have anything specific planned.
08:56 PM on 04/24/13
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Excited to see him at Hopscotch later this year.
08:19 AM on 04/25/13
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
so good
09:11 AM on 04/25/13
DeathOrGlory
I'm not fucked, not quite
User Info.
'Goldtone' is one of those songs that, despite being 10 minutes long, seems like it zips by. I'm incredibly impressed by this album. It has outdone Smoke Ring For My Halo easily.
10:19 AM on 04/25/13
iamsoindie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Pretty bizarre review. You seemed to jump around an awful lot, and I could hardly make out what you were trying to say. Try avoiding the overwhelming number of analogies, allusions, and compound sentences. With a little more focus, this could have been a decent review. C+.
10:27 AM on 04/25/13
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Pretty bizarre review. You seemed to jump around an awful lot, and I could hardly make out what you were trying to say. Try avoiding the overwhelming number of analogies, allusions, and compound sentences. With a little more focus, this could have been a decent review. C+.
So you're grading the review, not the album? Oy vey.
12:45 PM on 04/25/13
Memphis
Eight miles high and falling fast
User Info.
Loved the review, esp. the first paragraph... And such a great album, a serious AOTY contender. :)
04:26 PM on 04/25/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
I appreciate that someone remembers that one, considering it was three years ago. I guess a lot of people liked it at the time, and I'm glad for that, but I couldn't have written that review without the album being what it was.

Someone else is handling Trouble currently, but if they end up not doing it I may take it on. This review was my first foray into reviewing since the Avett Brothers album last fall, and it kind of happened by accident. Just starting typing random thoughts and voila. I'm in an inspired frame of mind at the moment, so I'll probably be more active in the near future, but I don't have anything specific planned.
What are your initial impressions of Trouble Will Find Me? I have noted that Pitchfork hasn't given either of the first two tracks a Best New Song nod, which generally indicates their review will be below an 8.
And Walking on a Pretty Daze is good, though I'm not super into that kind of music. Don't like Real Estate for instance.
08:11 PM on 04/25/13
Chris Collum
User Info.

I too adore your High Violet review and think it's the best one on this site, but sorry man I've got a death grip on covering Trouble haha. You should write more though!
09:02 AM on 04/26/13
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
What are your initial impressions of Trouble Will Find Me? I have noted that Pitchfork hasn't given either of the first two tracks a Best New Song nod, which generally indicates their review will be below an 8.
And Walking on a Pretty Daze is good, though I'm not super into that kind of music. Don't like Real Estate for instance.

I haven't heard it yet. I don't seek out leaks or promos much anymore. I have listened to the tracks that have premiered and found myself... underwhelmed. But I was also indifferent to "Bloodbuzz Ohio" the first time I heard it. I'll wait to pass judgment. The National are a much better band when you can press play and let yourself be drawn into their world for 45 minutes.
07:55 PM on 04/26/13
iamsoindie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So you're grading the review, not the album? Oy vey.

Sorry to the reviewer. I probably sounded like a dick. I was just joking. Review had potential.... Just a little convoluted.
03:49 PM on 04/28/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
I haven't heard it yet. I don't seek out leaks or promos much anymore. I have listened to the tracks that have premiered and found myself... underwhelmed. But I was also indifferent to "Bloodbuzz Ohio" the first time I heard it. I'll wait to pass judgment. The National are a much better band when you can press play and let yourself be drawn into their world for 45 minutes.
Yeah, Demons is a good track but definitely not amongst their best. But I loved Bloodbuzz the first time I heard it. It seems this record will be a little more uptempo than High Violet which I'm looking forward to, since Alligator is still my favourite of theirs.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos