AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Case Closed - Basements EP Album Cover

Case Closed - Basements EP

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Case Closed - Basements EP
Record Label: Black Ink MMG/Bungalo Records
Release Date: May 2013 (date TBD)

Case Closed are a doe-eyed quartet from Glassboro, NJ. To date the band has shared the stage with the likes of The Ready Set, 2 AM Club and The Early November. Their 2011 debut Clouds was produced by Jesse Cannon (Saves the Day, Say Anything, et al). The group cites influences including but not limited to Manchester Orchestra, Taking Back Sunday and The Early November.

As for the EP as a whole, well, here's one for the little guy. The hard-charging, heart-on-sleeve single "Junior Year" is a fine introduction to these wistful dreamers. The group anchors themselves in vocalist Curtis Beebe's emotive timbre, but Beebe is helped by a solid rhythm section and a sturdy lead guitar. The quartet sounds most confident on the propulsive "Going Nowhere," the pleading and emphatic "The Station" and the rattling "One Thing We All Agree On." Beebe is not one for subtlety or restraint and nowhere is that more vibrant than on the leave-it-all-on-the-table grit of "A Fond Memory."

Even on the less inspired efforts ("Close to Me", "It's Worse Than You Think") there's still a sense of polish and confidence at work here that belies their relative inexperience. Even with all the accolades, there still leaves a few questions. For starters, could the band have employed a ballad or two to prove there's more to the band than just hard-charging rock? Yes, probably. Does the band wear its influences too much on its sleeve? Yeah, probably. And lastly, are Case Closed going to set the world afire? No, probably not. But there is something potent and promising at work here and if this is just the starting off point, one can certainly see a golden future ahead for these four.

Over a decade ago, a South Jersey quartet made a name for themselves by setting themselves apart from the pack. While the Basements EP is not quite the same caliber as The Early November, there's still that very same South Jersey ethic that has the band pining for their chance at fame. And with an EP like this, there's ample reason to think they're one or two releases away from that very opportunity. They may be young, but there's something worth remembering about Case Closed.

Color this writer interested.

Recommended If You Like The Early November, Saves the Day, The Ready Set

Tracklisting 1. Going Nowhere
2. The Station
3. Junior Year
4. Close To Me
5. Its Worse Than You Think
6. One Thing We All Agree On
7. A Fond Memory

Produced by Jesse Cannon

Case Closed is Curtis Beebe: lead vox, guitar
Dave Schoettler: lead guitar, vox
Dan Huesser: bass
Phil Fasulo: drums

Find Them Here http://www.CaseClosedRocks.com

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
10:41 AM on 04/29/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
The RIYL is very meh-inducing.
01:13 PM on 05/07/13
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
I went to see Mansions in Vineland, NJ and Case Closed opened for them, the entire crowd came out for Case Closed and left before Mansions got on stage (except me and like 8 others) because I was actually there for mansions, but after their set i ran over to buy Clouds, which looked like the album art was done in Paint lol. Glad to see a legit review of them here, gotta check this out, had no idea it existed!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos