Username
Password
AP.net Related News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 44.
12:53 PM on 04/25/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Chris, you singled out the best line in "Growin' Up." Always been one of my favorite lines in his career.

This is an excellent write-up. For my money, easily the best you two have done thusfar.

I will contest however that there's a charm in the minimal production. It's the one album Bruce ever made where he was just another singer-songwriter. His next two were fueled by desperation to match huge hype, and everything after that came in the shadow of being a messianic figure for rock music, but this one time, he got to just cut a record. And I love it for that reason.

I think it's the best we've done so far too. So thanks, I appreciate the compliment.

You make a good point. I think he tried to go back to being "just another singer songwriter" in the 90s, but it didn't quite work. Glad he's embraced the rock 'n' roll hero thing in the last 10 or 15 years.

You ready to get pissed off at me yet again tomorrow about not properly fawning over Shuffle?? Haha

Chris is right, you should feel bad. I'll have to give a rebuttal to your points, I'm sure.

Yes. No one here ever talks about Springsteen.

Where are the unheralded gems?

I will point out that we said "renowned classics and unheralded gems alike." This particular album is in between, and actually, among Springsteen fans, it is pretty unheralded. There's been a lot of talk around here over the years about Born to Run or Nebraska, but I don't think I've ever had an in depth conversation with someone about Greetings until now, so there's that.

But if there's something you'd like to see from these columns, by all means, throw it out there.
12:56 PM on 04/25/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
I'm just bummed you guys are beating me to it. Now I'm gonna have to wait a year or so.

And yes. Your opinions are bad and you should feel bad.

Chris is right, you should feel bad. I'll have to give a rebuttal to your points, I'm sure.

Haha I've actually come around about some parts of the record a little....stay tuned
01:01 PM on 04/25/13
cshadows2887
User Info.
Haha I've actually come around about some parts of the record a little....stay tuned
You HAVE to at least like side 2. You MUST.
01:31 PM on 04/25/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
You HAVE to at least like side 2. You MUST.
Don't wanna give too much away, but my biggest beef with Side 2 for ages was that "Serenade" was just too damn long. I was horribly mistaken. It's perfect.
01:33 PM on 04/25/13
cshadows2887
User Info.
Don't wanna give too much away, but my biggest beef with Side 2 for ages was that "Serenade" was just too damn long. I was horribly mistaken. It's perfect.
01:54 PM on 04/25/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I think the only thing that anyone is allowed to dislike about that record is "Wild Billy." Everything else is pure, unadulterated perfection.
02:01 PM on 04/25/13
cshadows2887
User Info.
I think the only thing that anyone is allowed to dislike about that record is "Wild Billy." Everything else is pure, unadulterated perfection.
Even "Wild Billy" has grown on me with time. Dat tuba.
02:01 PM on 04/25/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Also, tomorrow's piece is going to be a behemoth. I'm about 1,200 words in right now and still have a ton I want to say.
02:03 PM on 04/25/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Even "Wild Billy" has grown on me with time. Dat tuba.
Yeah, it's definitely a grower. There are some really lovely instrumental flourishes on there. It's just that it has the unenviable task of leading into what is arguably the single greatest side of any record ever recorded.
02:18 PM on 04/25/13
harley7733
Reluctant Registered User
User Info.
This is a surprisingly fantastic write-up. Extremely well done. This is in my Top 5 favorite Bruce records for sure, and it's largely because of the albums opening one-two punch. Bruce has a penchant for creating opening knock-outs, and though he'd only get better at it, this is a near perfect start to a near perfect career. Like everyone else, my major qualms are about how the album was produced.

For anyone seriously interested, I would also recommend Peter Ames Carlin's fantastic biography Bruce, which spends a lot of time talking about the inception of this record. Not only was Bruce given an unsatisfactory studio to work in, but he was also really reared into doing what the producers and label wanted, and not what he wanted to do as an artist. A big reason that some of these songs sound so sparse is because Bruce was restricted to playing only one guitar track for a large majority of the tracks. If you compare that style to the Spector-influenced Wall of Sound aesthetic used on Born to Run, there's really no wonder why the songs sound empty or lacking.

But anyway, I cannot emphasize my love for this album enough. "Blinded By the Light" grooves in all the right ways and Bruce's tongue twister lyrics are luminary and hilarious, "Growin' Up" is a come-of-age song for the record books, "Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street? " jangles along like the world's most pleasantly bouncy ride on a city bus, and "For You" is a sprawling heartbreaker that showcases Bruce's voice in all the right ways. He may not be the most tuneful singer, but you feel the wait of every single word, and that's A LOT of words. Not to beat a dead horse either, but "Spirit in the Night" sounds like mission statement for the E Street Band, a swaggering, sultry mix of R&B and jazz combined with that distinctive Jersey sensibility.

This album is the stirring of a genius and definitely gets overlooked in conversations about the Boss' catalogue. Nice work guys!
02:19 PM on 04/25/13
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
Nice job here, but I like it when you guys talk back and forth a little more.
02:21 PM on 04/25/13
Matt Chylak
User Info.
This is a surprisingly fantastic write-up. Extremely well done...

Not if you've read any of the other installments of this feature. They've been doing great on all of them.
04:51 PM on 04/25/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
This is a surprisingly fantastic write-up. Extremely well done. This is in my Top 5 favorite Bruce records for sure, and it's largely because of the albums opening one-two punch. Bruce has a penchant for creating opening knock-outs, and though he'd only get better at it, this is a near perfect start to a near perfect career. Like everyone else, my major qualms are about how the album was produced.

For anyone seriously interested, I would also recommend Peter Ames Carlin's fantastic biography Bruce, which spends a lot of time talking about the inception of this record. Not only was Bruce given an unsatisfactory studio to work in, but he was also really reared into doing what the producers and label wanted, and not what he wanted to do as an artist. A big reason that some of these songs sound so sparse is because Bruce was restricted to playing only one guitar track for a large majority of the tracks. If you compare that style to the Spector-influenced Wall of Sound aesthetic used on Born to Run, there's really no wonder why the songs sound empty or lacking.

But anyway, I cannot emphasize my love for this album enough. "Blinded By the Light" grooves in all the right ways and Bruce's tongue twister lyrics are luminary and hilarious, "Growin' Up" is a come-of-age song for the record books, "Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street? " jangles along like the world's most pleasantly bouncy ride on a city bus, and "For You" is a sprawling heartbreaker that showcases Bruce's voice in all the right ways. He may not be the most tuneful singer, but you feel the wait of every single word, and that's A LOT of words. Not to beat a dead horse either, but "Spirit in the Night" sounds like mission statement for the E Street Band, a swaggering, sultry mix of R&B and jazz combined with that distinctive Jersey sensibility.

This album is the stirring of a genius and definitely gets overlooked in conversations about the Boss' catalogue. Nice work guys!

I really, really enjoyed that biography by Carlin. The reviews I read beforehand we kind of mixed, but I don't really see what the qualms were with the book. A lot of great stuff in there: the story about knocking the speaker over on the cop was fucking priceless.

But thanks for reading. Check back tomorrow for Wild.

Nice job here, but I like it when you guys talk back and forth a little more.

That's my fault. It's finals week for me (FINAL finals), and I finished my part of this up this morning in between exams. Hopefully we'll have a little more leeway tomorrow.

Not if you've read any of the other installments of this feature. They've been doing great on all of them.

Thanks dude, appreciate the support.
09:17 PM on 04/25/13
Matt Chylak
User Info.
I really, really enjoyed that biography by Carlin. The reviews I read beforehand we kind of mixed, but I don't really see what the qualms were with the book. A lot of great stuff in there: the story about knocking the speaker over on the cop was fucking priceless.

But thanks for reading. Check back tomorrow for Wild.

That's my fault. It's finals week for me (FINAL finals), and I finished my part of this up this morning in between exams. Hopefully we'll have a little more leeway tomorrow.

Thanks dude, appreciate the support.
Haha I didn't have to worry about finals this year. Props for still doing this when you're in the middle of such a crazy time...really like reading this feature, even when I haven't heard the album.
09:20 PM on 04/25/13
cshadows2887
User Info.
Best version of "For You" is on just piano at the Hammersmith Odeon in '75.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests