Username
Password

08:28 AM on 04/29/13 
User Info.
ACA
Next Show: Braid/GreatBigPileLeaves
NJ / NYC
Male
I'm going to be in town for Cinco de Mayo and the week after.. any essential picks for things to do, such as..

Concerts / local shows
Food
Wildlife (zoos, aquariums, anything)

I asked the same about Chicago not too long ago and got some great responses. thanks!
11:19 AM on 04/29/13 
User Info.
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
Nashville, Tennessee
Male - 24 Years Old
The Little Five Points area is pretty cool. You can go to Criminal Records and find some books or music then go to The Vortex for food. They have tons of awesome food, and all their burgers are delicious (try the Elvis Burger if you're feeling courageous). Next door is Junkman's Daughter which has a bunch of random junk (posters, costumes, weird shit, etc) that's fun to sift through. There's lot's of other stuff to do in Atlanta, but that's the area I'm most familiar with.
12:31 PM on 04/29/13 
User Info.
TorontoMatt
No Avatar Selected
he's right about the Vortex, and Little Five is crowded with people walking place to place. The record store, while small, is seemingly the main attraction. I don't see what's so great about Little Five. During the day it's lively but still rather grimy. It's also rather small and would take about 20 minutes to walk around the whole place.I much prefer Downtown Decatur near Emory University. There's a burger place called Farm Burger(healthy fresh shit) that you can stop in. There's a bison burger place around there too, but i'm not eating Bison meat, shits gross. The Georgia Aquarium was the largest when it opened in '05 so that is always neat to check out.
If you want decent food cheap I'd check Jacks Pizza and Victory Sandwich Shop. They are both near Five Points in an area called Inman Park/Old Fourth Ward. I live there. Both places have decent vibes where you can chill with a friend and talk, and possibly meet people. But don't meet the bartender/server girls at Victory, I date one of them and I lurk around the corners to make sure out-of-towners don't swoop in.
I believe I'm seeing Three Days Grace(go canada) that weekend at the Masquerade, which isn't far from any of the places I listed. There's always a decent band playing every week somewhere.

Finally if all else fails, park somewhere at the south end of midtown atlanta and walk North on Peachtree Street. I don't know your scene but there's some nice places in Buckhead, I was at a bar with a rooftop pool, but that's me.
I don't know if you're going by yourself, or with a friend, girlfriend, etc. I could name places more tailored to your party and style.
But everything listed above is for the AP.net crowd
12:36 PM on 04/29/13 
User Info.
XenoAbe
Cowboy monkey riding border collies
Atlanta, Ga
Male - 29 Years Old
Music/Local
Shaky Knees Festival on at the Masquerade on 5/5 (Lumineers, BOH, Jim James, Gary Clark Jr., and a lot more)
Soundgarden and Phoenix at the Tabernacle are Sold Out but may be able to find tix somewhere
Alkaline Trio at Center Stage on 5/11
Braves vs. Mets on 5/5 (on road rest of the week)

Food
Varsity - Chili Dogs, Rings, and an FO
The Vortex
Mary Mac's for good Southern Food
South City Kitchen or Empire State South if you're looking for something a little more upscale

Wildlife
The zoo is meh
The aquarium is cool if you've never been and it's the world's largest
01:52 PM on 04/29/13 
User Info.
Mr.Piano93
I hate my username.
Burbank, CA
Male
I love the area around The High Museum/CenterStage (Arts Center Station off MARTA). Inman Park/Old Fourth Ward are also cool. The Vortex is a must, but the Little Five Points location (there's only 2) will likely be more crowded. Avoid The Varsity like the plague unless you want to feel like shit the rest of the day. Downtown Decatur also has some cool spots.

Shaky Knees Festival is definitely worth checking out, it has a pretty good lineup. There might be some other shows at the other main venues like Tabernacle, CenterStage, or Variety Playhouse. As far as local/smaller shows, check out The Drunken Unicorn, Wonderroot, Vinyl, The Earle, and Terminal West.

Wildlife-
Never been to the Zoo, Aquarium is worth visiting. Piedmont Park, and maybe Centennial Olympic Park, is the perfect place to walk around on a nice day. Atlanta is not known for its nature unfortunately.
05:32 PM on 04/29/13 
User Info.
jump start
We all need a reason to believe.
Greensboro, NC
Female - 22 Years Old
I love the area around The High Museum/CenterStage (Arts Center Station off MARTA). Inman Park/Old Fourth Ward are also cool. The Vortex is a must, but the Little Five Points location (there's only 2) will likely be more crowded. Avoid The Varsity like the plague unless you want to feel like shit the rest of the day. Downtown Decatur also has some cool spots.

Shaky Knees Festival is definitely worth checking out, it has a pretty good lineup. There might be some other shows at the other main venues like Tabernacle, CenterStage, or Variety Playhouse. As far as local/smaller shows, check out The Drunken Unicorn, Wonderroot, Vinyl, The Earle, and Terminal West.

Wildlife-
Never been to the Zoo, Aquarium is worth visiting. Piedmont Park, and maybe Centennial Olympic Park, is the perfect place to walk around on a nice day. Atlanta is not known for its nature unfortunately.

I've never felt like shit after eating at The Varsity, but maybe that's just me. It's my go to for food after a show at The Masquerade before I drive an hour home to Athens.
05:34 PM on 04/29/13 
User Info.
majinsharingan
Erase All Pictures of Ron
Tallahassee, Florida
Male - 20 Years Old
How about for living? I'm looking into Georgia State and Georgia Tech as transfer options and don't really know anyone in Atlanta to ask.
06:04 PM on 04/29/13 
User Info.
White
A masochist cannibal dining alone.
Orgasmville, NA
Otherkin
The #1 thing to do when you're in the South is getting the fuck out of the South.
06:24 PM on 04/29/13 
User Info.
TorontoMatt
No Avatar Selected
How about for living? I'm looking into Georgia State and Georgia Tech as transfer options and don't really know anyone in Atlanta to ask.
depends on how much you want to spend. And Georgia State and Tech are completely different schools. Last time I checked Tech allowed a 2.5gpa to transfer in while ranking in the top 40. I don't want to begin to guess what State ranks. I'd transfer to Tech, you'd have a lot more fun and feel a lot better about yourself. Plus it's located in Midtown atlanta as opposed to GSU which is Downtown Atlanta. By 5pm Downtown ATL is a ghost town. Also it's a commuter school. I wouldn't rank it much higher than a community college. No offense.

The #1 thing to do when you're in the South is getting the fuck out of the South.
this
06:11 AM on 04/30/13 
User Info.
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
Harker Heights, TX
Male - 23 Years Old
#RISEUP

I've always wanted to go to that aquarium though.
06:49 AM on 04/30/13 
User Info.
majinsharingan
Erase All Pictures of Ron
Tallahassee, Florida
Male - 20 Years Old
depends on how much you want to spend. And Georgia State and Tech are completely different schools. Last time I checked Tech allowed a 2.5gpa to transfer in while ranking in the top 40. I don't want to begin to guess what State ranks. I'd transfer to Tech, you'd have a lot more fun and feel a lot better about yourself. Plus it's located in Midtown atlanta as opposed to GSU which is Downtown Atlanta. By 5pm Downtown ATL is a ghost town. Also it's a commuter school. I wouldn't rank it much higher than a community college. No offense.

None taken. It's just on my list because it's also in Atlanta, it's just a back-up. I've heard good things about Georgia Tech though. Thanks xD.
08:14 AM on 04/30/13 
User Info.
XenoAbe
Atlanta, Ga
Male - 29 Years Old

Feel free to shoot me a message. I went to GT for undergrad and grad and work across the street from it now.
10:17 AM on 04/30/13 
User Info.
Roboman
Don't Mind If I Didn't
Mering, Germany
Male - 26 Years Old
Heh, I also went to Tech for undergrad (unlike many though, I have absolutely no plans of getting a graduate degree).

I never really cared enough about Atlanta to go out and explore it, but yes, the aquarium is enormous, the Elvis burger at The Vortex is fucking delicious (they also have a massive beer menu), and The Varsity is overrated as shit. I'd stay away from it if I were you.
12:54 PM on 04/30/13 
User Info.
TorontoMatt
No Avatar Selected
I'm going to be in town for Cinco de Mayo and the week after.. any essential picks for things to do, such as..

Concerts / local shows
Food
Wildlife (zoos, aquariums, anything)

I asked the same about Chicago not too long ago and got some great responses. thanks!
can you direct me to your chicago thread? I just got the word that I can move to chicago now and I want to know which part I should live that would have cool young urban professionals.
01:38 PM on 04/30/13 
User Info.
XenoAbe
Atlanta, Ga
Male - 29 Years Old
Heh, I also went to Tech for undergrad (unlike many though, I have absolutely no plans of getting a graduate degree).

I never really cared enough about Atlanta to go out and explore it, but yes, the aquarium is enormous, the Elvis burger at The Vortex is fucking delicious (they also have a massive beer menu), and The Varsity is overrated as shit. I'd stay away from it if I were you.

The Varsity is more for the experience than the food. It's an Atlanta tradition.

I grew up here and that's why I know a lot about the city. If it weren't for my family here though I might be living on the West Coast.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos