Username
Password

01:35 PM on 04/29/13 
User Info.
xkhiemster
xkhiemster.wordpress.com
Sun Valley, CA
Male - 22 Years Old
DVDs, CDs, books, games... is it helpful or hurtful to the industries?

i did google it. now i want a discussion.
02:04 PM on 04/29/13 
User Info.
mrgenious
the sugary smell of spring time
Missouri
Male - 22 Years Old
in the situation of DVDs or games it definitely helps with sequel potential, or at least help it to be more lucrative. if nothing else it gets your product out there more.
03:53 PM on 04/29/13 
User Info.
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
Raynham, MA
Male - 25 Years Old
Staff Member
A debate could be made for both sides. It lowers sales, of course, but it also increases exposure. I buy used when it's a lot cheaper, but only when I'm sure I can return it if there's anything wrong with it.
06:53 PM on 04/29/13 
User Info.
Spencer Control
Will you catch me if I blow away?
Some kind of statistical evidence is needed because, as Alex said, one could feasibly reason it out to either side. I buy used basically always for music and movies.
03:23 AM on 04/30/13 
User Info.
mbarney82
Male - 21 Years Old
i buy used all the time. newbury comics and zia records are my two places to go. it saves a lot of money and i dont feel as if im stealing either. i have also sold back used stuff for small chump change. its a never ending cycle

i dont think its a bad thing because your not stealing it. it also still helps the band or production team because someone bought it before you.
05:52 AM on 04/30/13 
User Info.
stubbie25
No Avatar Selected
Houston, TX
Male - 25 Years Old
i buy used all the time. newbury comics and zia records are my two places to go. it saves a lot of money and i dont feel as if im stealing either. i have also sold back used stuff for small chump change. its a never ending cycle

i dont think its a bad thing because your not stealing it. it also still helps the band or production team because someone bought it before you.

Trust me, this isn't always the case!!! I used to work at a place that bought/sold used items, most of the time people would steal it from somewhere else and then sell it to us. There wasn't really much we could do about it because they didn't steal it from US nor could we prove it.
05:59 AM on 04/30/13 
User Info.
Upstart
Raleigh, NC
Male - 27 Years Old
For books, at least, it's helpful (article is a few years old) and I imagine it's the same for other industries:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/28/te...t&emc=rss&_r=0

Quote:
Used books, the economists found, are not strong substitutes for new books. An increase of 10 percent in new book prices would raise used sales by less than 1 percent. In economics jargon, the cross-price elasticity of demand is small.

One plausible explanation of this finding is that there are two distinct types of buyers: some purchase only new books, while others are quite happy to buy used books. As a result, the used market does not have a big impact in terms of lost sales in the new market.

Moreover, the presence of lower-priced books on the Amazon Web site, Mr. Bezos has noted, may lead customers to "visit our site more frequently, which in turn leads to higher sales of new books." The data appear to support Mr. Bezos on this point.

There are a few other articles out there that say the same. As others here have said, it helps with exposure. If I'm on the fence about a certain game or movie or book, I can get it for cheaper and then if I really enjoy it, I'm more likely to buy other installments, especially new (so I can get them sooner). It also lowers risk by allowing customers to recoup some of their costs. It's one of the reasons I don't mind buying things digitally: I may not be able to resell them, but I'm only spending $10-15 tops as opposed to $50-60.

Same with cars: I doubt many people would buy new if they couldn't trade in when the time came.

This is why it's weird to me to see, say, video game companies rail so hard against used sales. They're more concerned with more sales RIGHT NOW and making sure if they aren't profiting off of something, then no one should, but it's all incredibly short-sighted.
06:11 AM on 04/30/13 
User Info.
mbarney82
Male - 21 Years Old
Trust me, this isn't always the case!!! I used to work at a place that bought/sold used items, most of the time people would steal it from somewhere else and then sell it to us. There wasn't really much we could do about it because they didn't steal it from US nor could we prove it.

didnt think of that. i guess i put faith into people helping the music/game scene
07:13 AM on 04/30/13 
User Info.
stubbie25
No Avatar Selected
Houston, TX
Male - 25 Years Old
didnt think of that. i guess i put faith into people helping the music/game scene

Yeah, I tried to give people the benefit of the doubt at first, but when they come in multiple times a week/day, there is clearly something up.
07:16 AM on 04/30/13 
User Info.
a speedo model
an enthusiast
Chicago, IL
Male - 27 Years Old
When I worked at a place that sold Used items, I also found this to be case most of the time.
07:42 AM on 04/30/13 
User Info.
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
Lisboa, Portugal
Male - 27 Years Old
A debate could be made for both sides. It lowers sales, of course, but it also increases exposure. I buy used when it's a lot cheaper, but only when I'm sure I can return it if there's anything wrong with it.

This.
07:18 PM on 05/01/13 
User Info.
signal to noise
Manchester, CT
Male - 26 Years Old
working in a store that sells used CDs and DVDs, i'd say its more helpful than hurtful. obviously it spreads more exposure of the products, but theres also people that weirdly will only buy used stuff because of the slight price decrease. people will be like "oh that looks good, but i'll wait for a used copy," so in that situation a sale of a used item is the only sale at all. it also helps will obtaining things that are currently out of production, with certain CDs and DVDs, i think the recurring used purchases of them encourages the companies to make new pressings/printings of things because of the demand they see. i guess its comparable to people that track down records online, if they're willing to pay ridiculous amounts for records that are out of print, it shows companies that they should make more available. obviously also the sale of used items keeps the independent stores in business, and depending on the store they will usually also carry new products to some degree, so the companies/record labels/publishers aren't losing much by having those stores re-sell used product if they continue to also carry the new stuff.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos