Password

Album Review

Oceana - The Tide Album Cover

Oceana - The Tide

Reviewed by
Oceana - The Tide
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: March 4, 2008
It seems to me that the quickest growing label right about now would be Rise Records. While some of their bands are starting to grow in popularity, (i.e. The Devil Wears Prada), they continue to recruit smaller bands at an almost alarming pace. Some of these bands completely flop by copying the same formula that worked for bands like The Devil Wears Prada or Drop Dead Gorgeous, and some of them stand out. When I first saw that Rise had recruited Oceana, I was skeptical, but after a quick listen I realized the band's music was something different than a played out formula. It didn't take me long to go and buy the album, and it hasn't left my playlist since.

Simply put, The Tide is a work of art. While Oceana have their share of breakdowns, they don't overdo it. The musicianship is pretty spectacular, and the vocals coordinate with the music perfectly. While one vocalist screams/growls (it seems to shift between two different sounds), the other vocalist sings, and there are a couple gang vocal lines. It isn't often that hardcore bands can add in vocals/chants without it seeming forced or taking away from the flow of the song, however, Oceana bring them in perfectly.

After about a minute and a half of introduction the album starts with the powerful opener "The Accountable." This track starts off with a powerful screamed line and then immediately flows into the lighter side of their vocals with the chorus. The two standout tracks are "The Tide" and "Hello, Astronaut." "The Tide" opens with another powerful scream, and then showcases one of the most powerful breakdowns on the album. The rest of the song alternates screaming with a couple of short instrumental breaks. "Hello, Astronaut" opens with the powerfully screamed lines, "It's hard to breathe when you're choking yourself / It's hard to see through eyes misleading," some of the most memorable and powerful lines of the album.

While it may have some of the characteristics of many other albums of its genre, The Tide stands out as a powerful statement to the hardcore community. At its hardest points Oceana's music still seems somehow uplifting, and at its most melodic, it still seems hard. They've struck a delicate balance between melody and hardcore, and it's just what I've been waiting for.

Recommended if You LikeBurden of a Day's Blessed Be Our Ever After, Destroy the Runner's Saints, Alexisonfire's Crisis, As Cities Burn's Son, I Loved You at Your Darkest

myspace.com/oceanafl
This review is a user submitted review from Klatzke. You can see all of Klatzke's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
10:10 AM on 05/05/08
TooLateF0rRoses
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Dude, great review. I have had this for awhile now and I must say I can't stop listening to it. It is put together so well and is such an amazing hardcore album. Many props to these guys.
11:42 AM on 05/05/08
rickysolstice
User Info.
great review. this is a great album; more people should definitely give this one a listen.
07:46 PM on 05/05/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
great review. this is a great album; more people should definitely give this one a listen.
Thanks, both of you.
Rise is amazing me this year.
First review, one more in the queue for now ;]
08:36 PM on 05/05/08
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
One of Rise's better bands.
12:40 AM on 05/06/08
FaceLixeMurder
Amplitude!
User Info.
Oceana is an excellent band
01:50 AM on 05/08/08
Richard Maxim
Life: April Fools
User Info.
Awesome review, ive had this cd for AWHILE now.
You pointed out great facts,with everyone bashing hardcore these days we need more bands like this to breathe life into the genre. Love this cd, love this review.
05:58 AM on 05/08/08
Klatzke
User Info.
Awesome review, ive had this cd for AWHILE now.
You pointed out great facts,with everyone bashing hardcore these days we need more bands like this to breathe life into the genre. Love this cd, love this review.
Thanks man.
And yeah, i picked it up the day of release if i remember correctly, just now got around to reviewing it though.
08:59 PM on 05/09/08
kbez1527
User Info.
this albums fuckin tight. defs buying it.
11:28 AM on 05/30/08
evilmegaman
User Info.
I love this album. I saw them live, I was so impressed I bought the CD. It's really hard to put down. Like said in the review, it's uplifting, but so heavy. it's great :)
03:54 AM on 09/24/08
Cheesus
nope
User Info.
great
02:28 PM on 12/19/08
more heart
Endure and survive
User Info.
have to agree, one of the better releases in the hardcore/metalcore genre all year. my only problem is that there aren't many powerful songs on the record like "The Accountable". still solid though.
10:23 AM on 01/26/09
Klatzke
User Info.
have to agree, one of the better releases in the hardcore/metalcore genre all year. my only problem is that there aren't many powerful songs on the record like "The Accountable". still solid though.
You don't think so?

"The Tide"
"Hello Astronaut"

Both of those surpass "The Accountable" in my opinion.
07:31 PM on 01/26/09
more heart
Endure and survive
User Info.
You don't think so?

"The Tide"
"Hello Astronaut"

Both of those surpass "The Accountable" in my opinion.
Don't get me wrong, each of those songs are great, but I think they lack many songs with that "bite" of "The Accountable".

With that said, the record is still amazing.
07:37 PM on 01/26/09
Klatzke
User Info.
Don't get me wrong, each of those songs are great, but I think they lack many songs with that "bite" of "The Accountable".

With that said, the record is still amazing.
Yep, they're writing

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version