AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

01:19 AM on 05/01/13 
User Info.
buck dutter
Arizona
Male
In my head this seems like a very reasonable thing to do. I did it when I was in middle school, and I'm considering doing it again. Upon thinking about it hard for the first time however I realized this sounds insane. Has anyone ever done this before? Or am I on a short list of people waiting to become serial killers...
03:00 AM on 05/01/13 
User Info.
muttley
Drop all your things and go outside
Arizona
Male - 23 Years Old
Not sure what you mean by changing your personality, as that sounds ridiculous, but if you have something negative brewing inside (your serial killer comment suggests so?), you should probably get to the root of whatever it is and fix it.
05:31 AM on 05/01/13 
User Info.
Make.It.Blur
My tailwind destroyed your wings
Roanoke, VA
Male - 29 Years Old
For what reason? Do you notlike who you are? Because that's understandable. Idon't consider doing it to please others unless you're just the asshole to end all assholes.
06:42 AM on 05/01/13 
User Info.
mbarney82
Male - 21 Years Old
its part of life, its normal
07:38 AM on 05/01/13 
User Info.
Wutz
Don't Worry, I'm A Pilot
Bismarck, North...
Male - 30 Years Old
To what extent are you planning on "changing your personality?"

I think it's pretty odd, possibly psychologically damaging, to all the sudden say "I'm going to force myself to look different, act different, do different things, and believe different things starting tomorrow and I'll never be any of what I am today."

I imagine you'd have a number of "who am I" moments with bouts of manic and/or bipolar-like episodes.

If you're saying something like "Tomorrow I'm going to stop being the sarcastic asshole who is too passive for his own good and start being the sincere, assertive but gentle person" I think you'll do just fine.

I could imagine trying to force myself into a few different behaviors, but I'd never be able to completely change from who I am now to someone else.

Why do you want to do this? What are you hoping to accomplish? What's the end goal?
09:10 AM on 05/01/13 
User Info.
Amongster
Again And Again
Illinois, USA
Female - 24 Years Old
I don't know why you would want to do that or how you would accomplish it. It can be difficult enough just to change some of your mannerisms.
11:04 AM on 05/01/13 
User Info.
kaylasananjou
Count Your Lucky Stars Records / Kayla
Canton, MI
Female - 22 Years Old
Verified
I don't think you can really change your personality, per se, but you can change how you act. For example, I have really terrible social anxiety, but I made a conscious decision five years ago that I was going to stop letting it rule my life and have tried to force myself into extroversion. I didn't change that part of my personality, I regulated it. (for the most part-- it's an uphill battle.)

But you're going to have to be more specific. What are you trying to change? (Maybe "modify" is a better word here.)
11:42 AM on 05/01/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 22 Years Old
Personality is something you're born with, I don't think you can really change it, but yeah you can change how you act and work on yourself.
12:15 PM on 05/01/13 
User Info.
buck dutter
Arizona
Male
To what extent are you planning on "changing your personality?"

I think it's pretty odd, possibly psychologically damaging, to all the sudden say "I'm going to force myself to look different, act different, do different things, and believe different things starting tomorrow and I'll never be any of what I am today."

I imagine you'd have a number of "who am I" moments with bouts of manic and/or bipolar-like episodes.

If you're saying something like "Tomorrow I'm going to stop being the sarcastic asshole who is too passive for his own good and start being the sincere, assertive but gentle person" I think you'll do just fine.

I could imagine trying to force myself into a few different behaviors, but I'd never be able to completely change from who I am now to someone else.

Why do you want to do this? What are you hoping to accomplish? What's the end goal?

I'm not going to change how I act or look at all though. I wouldn't be going so far as to change who I am as a person, but more to change parts of my personality.

I don't think you can really change your personality, per se, but you can change how you act. For example, I have really terrible social anxiety, but I made a conscious decision five years ago that I was going to stop letting it rule my life and have tried to force myself into extroversion. I didn't change that part of my personality, I regulated it. (for the most part-- it's an uphill battle.)

But you're going to have to be more specific. What are you trying to change? (Maybe "modify" is a better word here.)

When I was in middle school, I did what you did, and I just forced myself to be a more outgoing person, and be loud and out there, and I did, and everyone always tells me how different I am now than I was when I was younger.

Basically, I've always been Larry David-like, in the sense that I'm pretty relatively unliked, even though I am liked by people I know? I realized that personality doesn't really work, as I really haven't met a new friend or person since I graduated high school, just because I come off like such an asshole. So I don't want to be "nicer" but I do want to be more likable, whatever that means...
12:34 PM on 05/01/13 
User Info.
kaylasananjou
Count Your Lucky Stars Records / Kayla
Canton, MI
Female - 22 Years Old
Verified
I'm not going to change how I act or look at all though. I wouldn't be going so far as to change who I am as a person, but more to change parts of my personality.

When I was in middle school, I did what you did, and I just forced myself to be a more outgoing person, and be loud and out there, and I did, and everyone always tells me how different I am now than I was when I was younger.

Basically, I've always been Larry David-like, in the sense that I'm pretty relatively unliked, even though I am liked by people I know? I realized that personality doesn't really work, as I really haven't met a new friend or person since I graduated high school, just because I come off like such an asshole. So I don't want to be "nicer" but I do want to be more likable, whatever that means...

Honestly, I don't think that's a huge problem. The guy I'm dating can come off as an asshole but he's actually the biggest sweetheart deep down under the bravado. I guess, if you're looking to tone that down, be more open with people. I'm not sure if this is your case, but if you use a lot of sarcasm or crass jokes in groups of people, maybe just tone it down a little, and show people your softer side.
03:24 PM on 05/01/13 
User Info.
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
L’Amérique du Nord
Male - 26 Years Old
Can kind of relate with the OP. I'm the kind of person who doesn't value small talk nor buy into things that please the masses which has made it difficult to really make any new friends (aside from online) since high school as well. My gf has made lots of attempts to help me be a more easy going and relatable person but it hasn't really worked. I hate to be a pessimist but unless you move elsewhere and position yourself differently you're likely to stay the same for the rest of your life.
04:48 PM on 05/01/13 
User Info.
deanster321
BLEGH
Huddersfield
Male - 23 Years Old
Going by what people are defining "personality" as in this thread it can absolutely change but I don't think you can really do it consciously, at least not without a hell of a lot of effort
05:07 PM on 05/01/13 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
go see a therapist
08:22 PM on 05/01/13 
User Info.
Ismael182
I'd love to turn you on
Chicago, IL
Male - 28 Years Old
This is something I wanted to do so badly in High School. I like to think I have a range, where sometimes I can be super-shy, introverted, and anti-social to other times where I can be happy, outgoing, and ready to party with the world. Its just that when I'm happy and outgoing I tend to say alot of stupid shit thats embarrasing and makes me retreat back into my shell. I tried to change myself when I was younger by being more clever, or more outgoing in general, but instead just acted like a moron (ala blink 182) instead of being witty. Yeah, you just have to work at being happy with yourself. Within..then out.
12:51 AM on 05/02/13 
User Info.
CastlesXClouds
Relax
San Diego,...
Male
I know what you mean.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music