Password

Album Review

Pomegranates - Everything is Alive Album Cover

Pomegranates - Everything is Alive

Reviewed by
Pomegranates - Everything Is Alive
Record Label: Lujo Records
Release Date: May 13, 2008
Cincinnati-based indie pop quartet Pomegranates have had the sort of luck most upstart bands would probably sell their souls to have. The band held their first practice session in November of 2006 and out of that session their first song, "Nursery Magic", began to take shape. Within three months, the band recorded five songs live over the course of a two day session to create what would become the Two Eyes EP. On the strength of this brief EP, Pomegranates received numerous rave reviews and signed to Lujo Records before the band celebrated their first full year together. Needless to say, the success of Two Eyes’ fuzzy take on indie pop generated a lot of buzz with fans and critics alike clamoring for a full-length effort.

It is clear within the first notes of “Whom/Who” that Pomegranates have matured at an almost unbelievable rate. Joey Cook’s trademark falsetto vocals float gently over energetic guitar melodies and driving percussion before expanding with shimmering guitar lines that speed the track up to a more frenetic pace, and closing with punchy percussion and guitar lines. While Pomegranates have made a name for themselves playing a peppy form of indie pop, tracks like “Late Night Televison” and “Appreciations” prove they are just as capable of rocking out. The driving, gritty guitars of “Late Night Television” serve as the perfect contrast to Cook’s boyish vocals which lend a bit of pop sensibility to the garage rock influenced track.

“Thunder Island” is one of the bands most experimental and darkest songs to date, and some of the guitar work brings to mind Modest Mouse. It is on this track that Pomegranates unleash one of the album’s most stunning moments, when at the end of the track the progressively gets slower before erupting in a minute long percussion-only jam session. It is this burst of creative showmanship that hints at the limitless amount of potential at the disposal of the young men in Pomegranates. “Honey Moon Pie” begins as a track that builds on the indie pop blueprint laid forth by the other tracks preceding it, but towards the end Pomegranates enjoy a brief movement of self indulgence and Cook leads his band mates in a shout along effort that just barely fights through the noisy and triumphant guitar squalls.

Everything Is Alive is an apt title for Pomegranates much-anticipated full-length effort. The band once again decided to record most of their album live to capture the aesthetics of their live show. In a musical climate where most pop music is glossily produced and sterile, the raw and organic production on Everything Is Alive is like a breath of fresh air. Sure, a great sounding record is important, but sometimes in the quest for that perfect sound the personality and charm of the songs are often polished away. However, the fuzzy production values of Everything Is Alive provide the perfect framework in which to experience Pomegranates’ music. This album is a very impressive debut that showcases the rapid pace at which Pomegranates are able to improve their songwriting and expand their sound. Keep an eye on this band, it is only a matter of time before they capitalize on all the buzz they have been generating and become indie blog darlings.

RIYLWolf Parade, Superchunk, All The Day Holiday

Noteable Tracks"Whom/Who", "Appreciations", and "Honey Moon Pie"

ListenMyspace
This review is a user submitted review from Rich Duncan. You can see all of Rich Duncan's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
08:26 AM on 05/06/08
Blakebear
User Info.
Listening to the myspace... for some reason his voice isn't irking me... kinda diggin it
10:10 AM on 05/06/08
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Listening to the myspace... for some reason his voice isn't irking me... kinda diggin it

Glad you enjoy it. You should check out the videos I posted in my blog, they are awesome.
10:44 AM on 05/06/08
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Love this band!
10:53 AM on 05/06/08
boykosaurus
---
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is definitely going into the Summer chill mix.
05:24 PM on 05/06/08
iwasahero
molsh
User Info.
One of my favorite records from this year, absolutely love these guys. So awesome live as well.

Rich, you like All the Day Holiday as well? Pomegranates and ATDH are the two best bands we currently have making music in Cincinnati.
05:26 PM on 05/06/08
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
great band
06:45 PM on 05/06/08
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
One of my favorite records from this year, absolutely love these guys. So awesome live as well.

Rich, you like All the Day Holiday as well? Pomegranates and ATDH are the two best bands we currently have making music in Cincinnati.

Yeah, I have heard a few songs and thought they were really good. This is a good album for sure and if not with this album, their next releases should put them on the map.

They are pretty sweet live, I posted a pretty good live video of them in my blog
07:01 PM on 05/06/08
punk-possum
User Info.

Um, don't forget Seabird...
07:31 PM on 05/06/08
iwasahero
molsh
User Info.
Yeah, I have heard a few songs and thought they were really good. This is a good album for sure and if not with this album, their next releases should put them on the map.

They are pretty sweet live, I posted a pretty good live video of them in my blog
Did you know about the entire other album they recorded on their own with Steven Loki Howell? Lujo won't let them release it though because they just released this album.

Steven produced my friend's band's EP and let us listen to a couple of the unreleased songs, they are insanely good. It's apparently some 11 song concept album that is even better then Everything is Alive.
A couple of the songs are on Steven's myspace for his recording studio.

http://www.myspace.com/itsthecommune

They are in the player in the middle, not the actual myspace player.

And why you're there, listen to my friend's band, Motions. They have a lot of talent for 17 year old kids.
01:01 PM on 05/18/08
liar23
Yo
User Info.
just got this album and I think it is really good
02:24 PM on 11/22/08
liar23
Yo
User Info.
and I still love this. aoty
06:42 AM on 12/24/08
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
One of my favorites of 2008. Great review Rich.
10:34 AM on 01/16/10
IceAge/HeatWave
hello earth
User Info.
everybody, come outside!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT