AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

07:36 PM on 05/08/13 
User Info.
Jack Appleby
___
No Avatar Selected
Hey all, wanted your help vetting an idea I'm working on.

So you know our typical ABSOLUTExclusives - we post a song in the AM, and you can hear it in the first reply. It's tried and true, it works, and you guys seem to like it.

Here's an idea that was presented to me: what if for an ABSOLUTExclusive, we publicized a specific time/date for our premiere, then streamed an entire album through, one time only. If we said 4pm PST/7pm EST, we would start the stream then, and when the album was finished, it would disappear.

Thoughts? Is this something you'd be interested in? Let's avoid technological barriers at the moment - if we think this is something worth doing, we'll figure out that aspect of it.

Thanks in advance!
11:32 PM on 05/08/13 
User Info.
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
Male - 24 Years Old
if the one-shot thing were to happen, it might be cool to have some sort of non-forum chat room open (maybe in addition to a normal forum), so that there can be a more real-time form of interaction while the stream's happening.
04:41 AM on 05/09/13 
User Info.
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
Italy
Male - 22 Years Old
It's a very good idea, and I'd be interested in something like that.
07:15 AM on 05/09/13 
User Info.
Amongster
Still On The Sand
Illinois, USA
Female - 24 Years Old
I'm not a big fan of this live album stream idea. A handful of people are bound to miss the window due to other commitments/ emergencies/ whatever. Why not make streaming available for 12 or even 24 hours?
07:36 AM on 05/09/13 
User Info.
dunkinsdonut
No Avatar Selected
MD
Male - 24 Years Old
It's a good idea until there is a massive overload and the site becomes really laggy
11:34 AM on 05/09/13 
User Info.
Jack Appleby
___
No Avatar Selected
I'm not a big fan of this live album stream idea. A handful of people are bound to miss the window due to other commitments/ emergencies/ whatever. Why not make streaming available for 12 or even 24 hours?

With a one-time stream, we'd hopefully premiere the full record with very limited risk of leaking it.

I'm thinking we could do a song premiere in the morning, hyping the album stream that night - that way, even those who miss the stream will have SOMETHING.
11:34 AM on 05/09/13 
User Info.
Jack Appleby
___
No Avatar Selected
It's a good idea until there is a massive overload and the site becomes really laggy

Pretty much nothing should destroy the site the way TWY, YC, or TBS did.
11:55 AM on 05/09/13 
User Info.
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
Oxford, OH
Male - 22 Years Old
I'm torn. I like the idea and I think it would build a lot of great excitement, but I know that I'd be insanely pissed if I couldn't listen at that specific time due to class/work/etc.
01:15 PM on 05/09/13 
User Info.
a speedo model
an enthusiast
Chicago, IL
Male - 27 Years Old
This would be a great idea. The only problem is narrowing down a time that would work for the majority of people on the site. With so many members that have full time jobs or are going to school full time, it could prove very difficult.
01:25 PM on 05/09/13 
User Info.
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
NJ
Male - 16 Years Old
Staff Member
I'm torn. I like the idea and I think it would build a lot of great excitement, but I know that I'd be insanely pissed if I couldn't listen at that specific time due to class/work/etc.

This is how I feel.

What if you streamed one song at a time? Maybe put one song up for one day only, then onto the next song the next day?
04:44 PM on 05/09/13 
User Info.
saddr weirdr
We're all alone. grab a hold.
Southern California
Female
I have a weird idea, and it probably isn't feasible technologically but I guess it's worth a try. What about selecting a specific time and having that time apply for different time zones? e.g. instead of 4PM PST, you'd stream the album at 4PM local time. In this way, it won't be 1AM for some people and 10AM for others, and you guys could choose a time where most people tend to be available, e.g. 9PM.

I agree that it would build up excitement, but I don't think it would limit the risk of leaking. Anyone could pre-record the stream while it's happening. If anything, some people will inevitably miss the stream and this would create more demand for a download link.
04:46 PM on 05/09/13 
User Info.
saddr weirdr
We're all alone. grab a hold.
Southern California
Female
This is how I feel.

What if you streamed one song at a time? Maybe put one song up for one day only, then onto the next song the next day?

Wouldn't this take twelve days though? Most streams go up the week before.

I feel like this could take away from the album itself and place more (unwanted) focus on the individual songs. There's also the situation where a person might stumble on a stream of what happens to be the only ambient-oriented song on the album, listen to the firs twenty seconds of it, and tell himself "nah, this isn't my thing." And the hype would die after the first few days.
05:08 PM on 05/09/13 
User Info.
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
NJ
Male - 16 Years Old
Staff Member
Wouldn't this take twelve days though? Most streams go up the week before.

I feel like this could take away from the album itself and place more (unwanted) focus on the individual songs. There's also the situation where a person might stumble on a stream of what happens to be the only ambient-oriented song on the album, listen to the firs twenty seconds of it, and tell himself "nah, this isn't my thing." And the hype would die after the first few days.

Oh yeah. True.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version