Password

Album Review

Black Eyes and Neckties - Apparition! Album Cover

Black Eyes and Neckties - Apparition!

Reviewed by
Black Eyes and Neckties - Apparition!
Record Label: Clickpop Records
Release Date: October 30, 2007
Fast paced and ready for action, 70’s garage punk is back in the form of Black Eyes and Neckties. The six-piece crew out of Bellingham, Washington has received a lot of praise over the greater Seattle area and is prepared to be the life of any party. This becomes very evident in the opening track of their recent effort Apparition! entitled “New Womb.” Fast riffs later met by a repetitive synth blast keep you in your toes throughout the first four minutes of listening. The rest of Apparition! seems to stick to this formula without hitting the brakes.

It is no secret that Black Eyes and Neckties are strong in delivering an adrenaline rush through their fast tempos and strong musicianship. The one area that is indefinitely lacking on the band's second full length is lyrics. The band relies too much on hoping the listener will notice the strong guitar, drums, and synth work that the lyrics will be put on the backburner. But we here at AP.net are smarter than that, aren’t we? Back to the opening track, “New Womb.” There is a point where vocalist Bradley Horror starts yelling out seemingly meaningless numbers. “21, 23, 21,17, 21, 215!” he shouts out. Maybe there is some sort of meaning or hidden agenda here, but nothing that I was able to understand. Sub par lyrics reoccur in tracks such as “Dirty From the Grave” and “The Midnight Sun.”

I know they say that appearances shouldn’t matter when it comes to music. You should let the music speak for itself right? Well, it would almost appear that Black Eyes and Neckties try too hard to get the gothic/death appearance down. Look at the band members' names: Bradley Horror (vocals), Ryan Cadaver (guitar), Davey Crypt (drums), Brenda Grimm (keyboard), Josh Homicide (guitar), and The Fist (bass). I almost wish I had listened to the album before reading up on the band, because after seeing all of this it somewhat took something away from the music itself. I couldn’t take it as seriously as I would have if I hadn’t seen the members' names.

All in all, Apparition! is an average release. Black Eyes and Neckties have breathed some life into a vanishing genre, but in such a style that it is more or less overkill. Listen, but don’t look too much into things, and you should be in for a great journey.

Recommended if You Likeolder Cursive, Bear vs. Shark, glam rock

myspace.com/blackeyesandneckties
This review is a user submitted review from newfoundmichael. You can see all of newfoundmichael's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version