AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Coldplay - X&Y Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 9
Production 9.25
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 92%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.82
Musicianship 7.48
Lyrics 8.18
Production 9.2
Creativity 7.61
Lasting Value 8.48
Reviewer Tilt 8.55
Average: 82%
Inside AP.net

Coldplay - X&Y

Reviewed by: alice+interiors (05/10/08)
Coldplay - X&Y
Record Label: Capitol Records
Release Date: June 1, 2005

I've always harbored secret affection for bands that many people would call guilty pleasures. I'm a fan of Eminem, Mika, KT Tunstall, Amy McDonald, and even Limp Bizkit on some (rare) occasions, but before the last few weeks I've always managed to let Coldplay fly past me. After hearing a teacher playing "Talk," and seeing someone on last.fm compare them to Death Cab for Cutie, I felt I had to have a proper listen, and I was shocked. Instead of being bored out of my skin, and becoming instantly depressed (as some of my friends assured me I would be), I opened a door to a completely new experience for myself, and I can honestly say they are fast becoming one of my favorite bands. Despite what many people say, I believe X&Y is better than their previous two efforts and progress has definitely been made.

X&Y begins with "Square One," an appropriate introduction which sets the tone for much of the album. Chris Martin's wonderful, drifting voice is soon accompanied by a steady drum-beat and the verse perfectly climaxes into the powerful chorus. The same mood is carried through the equally amazing "What If" and especially in "White Shadows," the latter epitomizing beautifully Martin's lyrical genius. However, Coldplay are not the kind of band that will release an album with 12 identical songs. "Fix You" is a slow, sad ballad, which gives Martin ample opportunity to display his vocal prowess, and he does so sounding sorrowful and melancholy, and this song stands out prominently on a nearly flawless album. Again, Coldplay don't stop there. Always looking to improve and to make a song that bit better, X&Y again releases another memorable effort in "Talk." With a distant, graceful riff, supplied courtesy of guitarist Jonny Buckland, which you will likely find yourself humming for days after, "Talk" is a more accessible, upbeat side of Coldplay. Again, the song lyrically shines, with lines being simple yet oddly striking, and effectively getting the meaning of the song across. Title track "X&Y" is a relaxing, surprisingly catchy affair which is often overlooked, due to it being sandwiched between the three most famous songs on the album. "Speed of Sound" and "Low"" are further highlights in their own respective ways, and the album closes with one of my personal favorites, "Twisted Logic," a very emotional song which rounds off a wonderful CD, deserving of every acclaim it receives.

X&Y truly is an excellent album, and while the amount of mainstream exposure and Martin's celebrity status is annoying, Coldplay should be respected for not just sitting back with the money and acclaim they garnered from Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head and creating a meaningless, generic offering. They have taken another huge step forward, and hopefully Viva la Vida will further enhance their wonderful discography. Martin's talent is one that deserves to be recognized decades down the line, and his legacy is one new bands should look to aspire to.

Recommended if You LikeSnow Patrol, Travis, misty mornings

myspace.com/coldplay

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26.
09:21 PM on 05/16/08
im_wide_awake
Roll along you BG warriors
User Info.
i do love this album
definitely my favorite coldplay
01:46 AM on 05/17/08
symbiote28
Be Human
User Info.
never listen to the whole album before .. i only know a couple of songs though ..
07:05 AM on 05/17/08
itsallcalypso
User Info.
I love this cd, although I don't know where it ranks in my mind for Coldplay releases. It might be my favorite, but then I think of how great the other 2 cds are and I can't say it's better than them. They all have different sounds to them. They just consistantly make great music. I hope Viva La Vida is just as good as these three cds.
10:23 AM on 05/17/08
Gumbyjag
Everything Evil
User Info.
Probably the only Coldplay album that's entirely sunk in with me. I love the whole vibe of the album and while the actual lyrics may be too elementary at times, the themes are universal. My favorite song is "The Hardest Part".
12:05 PM on 05/17/08
bowl of oranges
-___-
User Info.
good review, Matt!
12:28 PM on 05/17/08
Vanilla Bear
celebrate the irony
User Info.
kudos to you for being open-minded...my friends say stupid shit about this band too when i say i like 'em
12:38 PM on 05/17/08
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
Coldplay are absolutely punk.
12:51 PM on 05/17/08
hailthewarrior
Winter Is Coming
User Info.
good review matt
01:04 PM on 05/17/08
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
Makes me wanna try and give this band another chance, haha. good review Matt.
01:05 PM on 05/17/08
alice+interiors
|
User Info.

Makes me wanna try and give this band another chance, haha. good review Matt.

:-D
cheers.
nice to know two of the most popular people on AP can give me a compliment [:
01:11 PM on 05/17/08
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
Haha, I'm popular? didn't know that. :-D

anyways, you're welcome d00d.
01:47 PM on 05/17/08
dingy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Excellent review!

This album has never got old to me.
01:54 PM on 05/17/08
xglassjawx
Sergio Georgini
User Info.
Awesome review Matt, very impressive for such a young guy!

PS That isn't meant to sound patronising, It is meant to be a compliment!
02:28 PM on 05/17/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
i like the blood rushing to your head album
and i like the new songs

but i really hate this album
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News