AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

11:11 PM on 05/10/13 
User Info.
Grub
Male - 22 Years Old
I think I have identified the root of my problems in my social anxiety. I have the habit of taking every thing that can be taken negatively in a dark light as opposed to critically observing that its not all about me all the time. Does this make me selfish? I dont think as much as it makes me an anxious pessimist..but I am taking steps in rerouting my thinking and realizing my great qualities over these paranoid thoughts. I am writing this because I see that a lot of people suffer with these problems too. Hopefully I can help some of you with this perspective.
11:16 PM on 05/10/13 
User Info.
Amongster
Still On The Sand
Illinois, USA
Female - 24 Years Old
Are you self-conscious or narcissistic? The thread title suggests one thing, but your paragraph was kind of ambiguous.
11:26 PM on 05/10/13 
User Info.
Grub
Male - 22 Years Old
well I think im narrcastic in a negative way because if something goes wrong its always my fault. Or im the problem. Like theres something inherently wrong with me in the social situation but in that sense I am only focusing on myself so that is where it comes from. Another example would be if someone didnt return my call or text they are ignoring me or i did something wrong.. possibly a mixture?
01:12 AM on 05/11/13 
User Info.
PuxRawkPrincess
There's No Shepard Without Vakarian
Salisbury, NC
Female - 26 Years Old
that's not being narcissistic at all, there's not a negative form of it. It's a specific mental disorder that is diagnosed... what you described is being highly self-conscious which is quite common in people with social anxiety.
01:17 AM on 05/11/13 
User Info.
Grub
Male - 22 Years Old
Oh okay well I was just kinda over analyzing i guess thanks for clearing that up!
02:00 AM on 05/11/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
well I think im narrcastic in a negative way because if something goes wrong its always my fault. Or im the problem. Like theres something inherently wrong with me in the social situation but in that sense I am only focusing on myself so that is where it comes from. Another example would be if someone didnt return my call or text they are ignoring me or i did something wrong.. possibly a mixture?

Haha you just described me, someone who goes to therapy for social anxiety

I get how you feel. I've often been like "why am I so self-centered/narcisistic always thinking about me and how much my life sucks, wondering what I did wrong when so and so acts this way to me". You can't do that to yourself, though. It's an emotional issue that, at least for me, requires help if it's a daily struggle of yours.

I mean, idk about you 100%, no two people are the same, but for me I just really think negatively of myself, have low self-esteem and just wonder "why would anybody want to hang out with me?". Constantly have social anxiety and get awkward/quiet around people I'm not comfortable with even though I usually don't shut the fuck up around people I do know haha. Some people don't even believe me that I'm shy while others can't believe I talk lol.

Anyway, I suggest finding someone to talk these things out with. I think it really helps. My therapist suggested a social anxiety support group that he runs on campus next semester and I think I'll definitely check it out.
02:08 AM on 05/11/13 
User Info.
Grub
Male - 22 Years Old

I get how you feel. I've often been like "why am I so self-centered/narcisistic always thinking about me and how much my life sucks, wondering what I did wrong when so and so acts this way to me". You can't do that to yourself, though. It's an emotional issue that, at least for me, requires help if it's a daily struggle of yours.

I mean, idk about you 100%, no two people are the same, but for me I just really think negatively of myself, have low self-esteem and just wonder "why would anybody want to hang out with me?". Constantly have social anxiety and get awkward/quiet around people I'm not comfortable with even though I usually don't shut the fuck up around people I do know haha. Some people don't even believe me that I'm shy while others can't believe I talk lol.

Anyway, I suggest finding someone to talk these things out with. I think it really helps. My therapist suggested a social anxiety support group that he runs on campus next semester and I think I'll definitely check it out.

Yeah that sounds like something I should do... I just want to relax you know? Its really difficult when you cant enjoy hanging out with peers and people you would like to get to know..I am making progress I think but damn its just aggravating!
10:40 AM on 05/11/13 
User Info.
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
Anaheim,California
Male - 20 Years Old

Wow, you just described me!
10:48 AM on 05/11/13 
User Info.
mrgenious
the sugary smell of spring time
Missouri
Male - 22 Years Old

I have a similar but different problem. I generally like myself, but I sometimes fall into the belief that for whatever reason nobody else does. and so while I may have confidence in something, I never go for it because I'm sure it's destined to fail anyway.
01:13 PM on 05/11/13 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
i think that my fear of rejection is essentially a species of needlessly self limiting, and incredibly twisted pride, but that realization/opinion has yet to be especially helpful.
09:14 AM on 05/13/13 
User Info.
PuxRawkPrincess
There's No Shepard Without Vakarian
Salisbury, NC
Female - 26 Years Old
Oh okay well I was just kinda over analyzing i guess thanks for clearing that up!

No problem! I was hoping I didn't seem harsh or something, I was worried it seemed that way when I read it back. I have really bad social anxiety and what you said is basically me to a T, so that's how I'm able to tell the difference.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos