Password

Album Review

Poema - Remembering You Album Cover

Poema - Remembering You

Reviewed by
PoemaRemembering You
Record Label: Tooth & Nail Records
Release Date: September 11, 2012
Poema is duo made of two sisters, Elle and Shealeen Puckett, and they play acoustic pop music. Yes, they are attractive, and that might have been the reason I first decided to listen to their most recent album Remembering You, but thankfully they have more going for them besides their looks.

For whatever reason, people who are labeled as “good writers” usually throw a lot of metaphors or similes around when describing something, so I figured I should try to do that to when describing this album. The best metaphor I can come up with is that this album is the musical equivalent of floating on a puffy cloud on a nice summer day. There is just something so airy and happy about the music and lyrics that anytime a song from this album pops up on “shuffle” it puts a smile on my face. I sort of feel stupid saying this, but the album is just delightful, there just isn’t a better way for me to describe it. If you are having a picnic with a girl, this is the album you want to play during it.

In many ways I feel that Remembering You as a final product is greater than the sum of its parts. The music (which relies heavily on acoustic guitars) by itself isn’t mind-blowing, but accompanies the lyrics and vocals quite perfectly. There really isn’t anything groundbreaking about the lyrics featured on it either, but that is okay by me, due to the fact that they have written songs around about things I think a lot of people can easily relate to. There are songs about falling in love, breaking up, and other topics you normally hear about in pop songs. The one thing that I think makes these songs so effective is that they seem so genuine. For instance, when they sing about falling in love I feel that they truly believe it, which really connected with me as a person who can sometimes be slightly jaded on the topic. For whatever reason, even though many of the songs are about similar themes it never came off as repetitive to me. I think that is a credit to their ability to write lyrics that address similar topics but in slightly different ways from song to song.

Some of my favorite tracks off the album basically tell the story of a relationship from beginning to end. The beginning of that relationship appears in what is my favorite track off of Remembering You which is “Fallin,” and yes, that does refer to falling love. Another song I really enjoy is “Love of My Life” which I think perfectly captures the honeymoon phase of a relationship with lyrics such as “I don’t deserve you, but I’m so happy you’re mine.” The last song about a relationship I will mention here is “Would You” which I think really conveys the feelings of someone as they begin to fall out of love. I just think that the fact that these lyrics and themes are so relatable is what makes them so effective and memorable.

While the majority of the album is about love they do show their ability to write about different topics as well. “Clean Getaway” talks about what happens when a parent abandons a family, and its honest and serious nature is appreciated. The lyric “Blue eyes and your last name/Are the only things that you left” is something that I think many people can relate to if they went through a similar situation (I never experienced such a situation myself so I guess I am assuming that).

Even with as much as I enjoyed it, I realize that Remembering You is not an album for everybody. It is made up light and breezy acoustic pop songs about love (and everything that comes with it). If that sounds like something you wouldn’t like, then you probably won’t like this album very much. However if anything about that description piques your interest I suggest you at least check the album out. It will most likely leave you with a smile on your face and a few songs in your head. In the end, the greatest compliment I can give to this album is the fact that when listening to it, there aren’t really any songs I want to skip.

Recommended If You LikeColbie Cailat, Michelle Branch, Meg & Dia

Official Video for "Clean Getaway"
This review is a user submitted review from billcom6. You can see all of billcom6's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version