AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
In Fear and Faith - Voyage Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 7.5
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.69
Musicianship 6.31
Lyrics 5.5
Production 5.56
Creativity 5.56
Lasting Value 5.06
Reviewer Tilt 4.88
Average: 55%
Inside AP.net

In Fear and Faith - Voyage

Reviewed by: Klatzke (05/14/08)
In Fear and Faith - Voyage
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: December 18, 2007

Have you ever been listening to your music and had someone make a comment to the effect of, “this is tasteless” or “it’s just screaming, there’s no depth,” like I have so many times before? Well, your troubles are over with a new, solid, seven song EP from the recently recruited emo/hardcore act known as In Fear and Faith.

What’s so special about this EP? For starters, the band features an excellent keyboardist. This is especially evident in both “The Taste of Regret” and the latter half of “Live Love Die.” They bring in just the right amount of electronics to give the music a unique feel without overdoing it like some hardcore bands tend to. They also have a drummer that has his practice in with a double bass, but even that isn’t overdone. Their melodies are entertaining, and the music flows in a way that most bands tend to miss on their first releases.

As for my references in the first paragraph, this EP grasps something that seems to be falling away in modern hardcore: depth. In a scene where most songs consist of a single vocalist growling into a microphone while your ears are assaulted with chugging guitars and a vicious double bass, this young band has reintroduced some of the elements that made this genre popular in the first place. Through each song, you’ll hear multiple levels of instrumentation; a song from them wouldn’t seem complete using the standard formula that many of these bands have tried and sometimes failed at.

The vocals on this EP are the first thing that catch your attention, and probably the thing that keeps it. The amount of screaming and amount of singing seem pretty equal throughout most of the five songs (two are instrumental). The balance between the screamed and sung vocals is magnificent. Right when you begin to become tired of the powerful screams, the sweet vocals chime in to pick your interest right back up, and the emotional vocals lead up to the screaming perfectly. The lyrics are pretty straightforward, but not at all mediocre. “There Be Pirates Among These Seas” tells us of the morals of a pirate, and the lyrics are immensely entertaining, while “The Taste of Regret” is a much more serious song and deals with the members’ personal faith.

This EP has helped to restore my faith in what some people may consider a dying scene. I’m sorry for the lengthy post; when I set down to write this, I meant to give it a quick review. However, once I started writing I couldn’t help myself from adding in every detail I found significant. All I ask is that you don’t write this off as “just another hardcore album” from the moment you hear it; give it time to grow upon you, as I’m sure it will.

Recommended if You LikeBurden of a Day, Oceana, Chiodos’ All’s Well That Ends Well

myspace.com/infearandfaith

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12.
06:23 PM on 05/21/08
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
Good review, I admit I have some interest in this band, unlike a lot of their contemporaries.
02:15 AM on 05/22/08
dwn4whateva
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the bands mother must have written this, sorry but I would have given them solid 3 across the bored for the attempt.
06:26 AM on 05/22/08
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
the bands mother must have written this, sorry but I would have given them solid 3 across the bored for the attempt.

Or, maybe the reviewer has a different taste in music than you. It's not entirely impossible.
08:08 AM on 05/22/08
jaaaaaaaaack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this whole record is about pirates.
seriously.
i don't have anything against pirates, or this band, but i find it really funny.

im pretty sure telly is in greeley estates now though
04:00 PM on 05/22/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
this whole record is about pirates.
seriously.
i don't have anything against pirates, or this band, but i find it really funny.

im pretty sure telly is in greeley estates now though
That Blows/Kinda rocks. Lol. I'm gonna write a review for the new GE here pretty soon actually, (time willing).

I don't think the whole thing is... The intro says something, and the second song, but other than that not really, as far as i know.
08:44 PM on 08/21/08
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
Or, maybe the reviewer has a different taste in music than you. It's not entirely impossible.

well, there's a difference between different taste and quality. for example, i dig a lot of hardcore and even some scenecore (The Devil Wears Prada) but this band is low quality generic stuff.
07:05 PM on 08/23/08
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
well, there's a difference between different taste and quality. for example, i dig a lot of hardcore and even some scenecore (The Devil Wears Prada) but this band is low quality generic stuff.

Obviously the reviewer doesn't consider it generic.
10:32 PM on 12/02/08
An7hony21
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This bands tight
01:21 PM on 12/19/08
more heart
Midtown Saves
User Info.
I bought this ep from these guys at a show in September. I wasn't impressed with their songs when I listened to them on their myspace but after listening to the ep, I was blown away. stoked for the full length next month
12:41 PM on 12/22/08
circatbs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
incredibly ready for the full length thats on the way
11:08 AM on 02/21/09
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.
At first I thought this band was generic screamo bullcrap, but I gave it a little while to grow on me and now In Fear and Faith are one of my favorite bands. Live Love Die is an insanely good song.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests