AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Moving Brooklyn - 05.16.13

Interviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (05/16/13)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Moving Brooklyn

www.facebook.com/MovingBrooklyn
Battleofthebands.com/u/MovingBrooklyn
@MovingBrooklyn
Youtube.com/MovBrooklyn

1. How did you get your band name?

Thinking of a band name is totally the hardest part of being in a band. We couldn't come up with another name at the time. My life was feeling sort of monotonous, so I Tweeted "Moving to Brooklyn." Our bassist saw my Tweet and immediately texted me. I'm not sure why he decided on removing the "to". So I guess to me personally, the name represents a big change from a past part of my life.

2. How did this band get started?

All of us have been playing music together for as long as I can remember. For example, I've know our guitarist Kris since I was in third grade, and we made a band in the seventh grade. The current incarnation of this band started because we wanted a clean slate to write music not limited to a specific genre. Our members were new, the songs were going in a different direction than our other band.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Anberlin, Nirvana, Motion City Soundtrack, Northstar, Story of the Year, Conditions, really old Jazz music, Coheed and Cambria, Relient K, Manchester Orchestra/Andy Hull, Bayside, Foo Fighters, Good Old War, Blink-182.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Foo Fighters, simply because Dave Grohl is the most well-versed, knowledgeable musician I can think of. I watched his keynote address for SXSW and it was awesome. I feel kind of biased to say Coheed and Cambria because I'm obsessed. It would be awesome to tour with the guys in Anberlin as well.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

I want to say Taco Bell, but it always ends with a lot of angry people rolling the windows down. It's just so darn cheap.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

We aren't making any sounds you've never heard before, but we're very honest about what we do. A song will only be written if it needs to be. There's never a time when we sit down and say, "We just need a generic break-up song." If we're in heavy mood one day, a song might turn out heavier, as goes for when we're in a poppy swing. It doesn't feel like we're forcing ourselves into writing a type of material or topic.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

You know the Monstars from Space Jam? They count as athletes right? Then again, they used performance-enhancing magic. In that case, my answer is Larry Byrd.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

There are certain people who will be there with you no matter what, and those are the people who you should keep close. I can speak for all of when I say: our families, significant others, and friends who still hung around while we posted 5,000 times about our band.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I wish that certain social media didn't play such an important role in the legitimacy of your band. For a time, I was getting really discouraged and down because of it, which is incredibly silly. You should make music because it's what you truly love doing, not because it will result in a new "like".

10. Memorable tour experience?

There was this one time that involved a pineapple costume and a shopping mall...

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

AP.net gives artists a voice they may previously not have been able to verbalize. It's easier than ever to connect with fellow musicians and stay up on the latest news. I check it a few times a day. I bet people meet their husbands and wives, and even find their lost cats on AP.net.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

I'm a sucker for an un-released song we've been playing live called "Burning Brightly". We've also been calling it Ann Perkins amongst ourselves. It's a lot of fun to play.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

I need to visit Egypt one day. Seeing the Great Pyramids is on my list, and that would be overwhelmingly awesome.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

So Long Astoria, All Killer No Filler, Hybrid Theory, etc. No joke, the song "I Love You Always Forever" by Donna Lewis. It used to play on the radio when I was a kid, and my dad and I would cruise around in our old station wagon. Reminds me of simpler times.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

The ability to time travel. It would come in handy to have the ability to change mistakes. Especially for somebody as accident-prone as myself.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

I'm usually running back and forth to any source of water. Drinking a crazy amount of water is like a nervous habit before I sing.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

We can definitely get down to some T Swift.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

When I was younger, I discovered some of my favorite bands on the radio. I would put a tape in a crappy tape recorder and hit record whenever a good song came on. The radio definitely helps push a lot of music to the masses. On the other hand, the mainstream radio is only a place for a very limited portion of music. In my opinion, complex rock-centric, guitar-heavy songs seem to have taken a major backseat.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

All of our hobbies lumped into one: graphic design, running, video games, watching sports, watching sports again, drinking Starbucks, writing, collecting vinyl,
and buying 400 suit jackets a month (Ant).

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I can beatbox. I used to do it all the time in class, but I've gone astray from my main passion...

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums