Username
Password

02:53 PM on 05/17/13 
User Info.
i like apples
Kyle Max
New York City
Male
I recently watched an interview with J.J. Abrams on Star Trek Into Darkness and his tendency to keep his films relatively secretive. For the most part most of his trailers leave you guessing as to what the plot is actually about, but often give away an action scene/cool explosion/destruction/etc. Do you think some trailers give away too much or does it not matter that much to you? One film that I always thought suffered from giving away too much in the trailer was The Dark Knight and the tractor trailer scene. The element of surprise would of been epic if it had been left to be discovered in the film.
03:29 PM on 05/17/13 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old
At times, absolutely. Every year a few trailers literally give the entire movie away. I also avoid certain trailers as much as possible as soon as I feel confident that it's a film I can't/won't miss. For example, the 90 second trailer for Gravity had me so hooked that I almost don't want to see ANYTHING else until I see the film. Same goes for the new Star Trek, which I haven't seen yet.
05:52 PM on 05/17/13 
User Info.
Wake Up
█▓▒░░
Portland, OR
Male - 21 Years Old
damn trailers spoiled that cool explosion for me
06:44 PM on 05/17/13 
User Info.
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
Raynham, MA
Male - 25 Years Old
Staff Member
They often do. If it's a movie I'm really excited about, I'll do my best to avoid trailers and TV spots.
08:57 PM on 05/17/13 
User Info.
MADSTA
~
Halifax
Female - 23 Years Old
I find romantic comedies are usually the worst for this.
08:59 PM on 05/17/13 
User Info.
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
Coral Springs, FL
Male - 27 Years Old
Hate when horror films/slashers give a lot of the death scenes away.
08:59 PM on 05/17/13 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 26 Years Old
No. This whole obsession with hiding plot details is more troublesome than anything.
10:25 PM on 05/17/13 
User Info.
SlappedActor
Tread lightly.
No. This whole obsession with hiding plot details is more troublesome than anything.

Why? I would agree that knowing plot points ahead of time shouldn't affect one's appreciation of the film's overall quality, but surprises/twists/endings can be a deliberate and integral part of the director's plan for the initial experience of the film.
11:25 PM on 05/17/13 
User Info.
HarryPotter
No Avatar Selected
Hogwarts
Male - 27 Years Old
i remember plugging my ears and closing my eyes whenever the Skyfall trailer came on. But that's the only movie I really wanted to see. Normally I don't care how much a trailer shows though.
12:08 AM on 05/18/13 
User Info.
thisisadisaster
RICK FROM ALABAMA
Male - 27 Years Old
I DONT KNOW THE DUDE WHERES MY CAR TRAILER DIDNT EVEN SHOW WHERE THE CAR WAS SO I AM NOT SURE YOUR THEORY HOLDS UP IN COURT
03:14 AM on 05/18/13 
User Info.
dhjfuykjerxiao
No Avatar Selected
damn trailers spoiled that cool explosion for me
05:27 AM on 05/18/13 
User Info.
wall e
@mattobrien37
Agawam, MA
Male - 24 Years Old
I try to avoid comedy trailers most of all.
11:26 AM on 05/18/13 
User Info.
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
Lisbon
Male - 26 Years Old
Most trailers will nearly ruin a movie - either by giving away lots of the jokes or by giving away the most visually intense scenes.

I'll never forget how little I cared about the stadium scene in The Dark Knight Rises. Hard to keep tensions high when you know what's about to happen.
11:35 AM on 05/18/13 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 26 Years Old
Why? I would agree that knowing plot points ahead of time shouldn't affect one's appreciation of the film's overall quality, but surprises/twists/endings can be a deliberate and integral part of the director's plan for the initial experience of the film.

People got mad at the trailer for Before Midnight because it showed they were together or had children. It is getting to a point where any aspect of a film is considered a "spoiler".
11:58 AM on 05/18/13 
User Info.
PengusNiugnep
@PenguinGengar
Blacksburg, VA
Male - 21 Years Old
It depends. It's actually kind of interesting when a trailer is deliberately very misleading, though.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos