Album Review

Have Mercy - The Earth Pushed Back Album Cover

Have Mercy - The Earth Pushed Back

Reviewed by
Have Mercy - The Earth Pushed Back
Release Date: May 21, 2013
Record Label: Topshelf Records
Let me paint you a picture.

“The Earth Pushed Back” is now a synonym for “seduction.” The album never leaves you behind. When it draws back, it draws you back with it and you never miss a beat. The album is not that upbeat, hey-let’s-go party, but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t have a certain groove about it. Have a dinner party, with this in the background, and I would bet any money that someone will ask who the band is. There will be silence when you’re eating and this album will wash over your guests and someone will suddenly pipe up and ask what this intoxicating sound is; this seductive, intoxicating sound is, and you’ll simply reply with this bands name. Have Mercy.

Most bands find their fans, and get their popularity through the fast moving songs, but this band will start a new trend. Their slower songs are what will really engage you. “Cigarettes and Old Perfume” which had the working title of “Lately” is probably the standout track on the album. It stands above the rest of the songs, by a whisker mind you, but it does. I see it as the clear winner. It slows down, it speeds up but overall, it’s a mellow, hey-come-sing-with-me kind of song. You’ll probably end up singing off key in the shower, where your voice is unknowingly amplified, but you won’t care. You just will not care.

“Let’s Talk About Your Hair” is the anchor point of this album. After this song, there is a clear tempo change in the songs that follow, and a clear tempo change to the songs that precede it. The song’s been placed so well within the album that it acts as a sort of half time siren for the album. The team comes back out, fresh and ready to go, and go, and go, and a blockbuster finish. One point victory over the reigning premiers. You know the feeling, right? Emotions run, and you just want to watch the last quarter over and over again, until it’s boring. Plot twist; It doesn’t get boring; it gets better with every listen.

If you put this album down at any point in the near future, make sure you make it a priority to pick it back up again. It deserves that much.

“Living Dead” is probably that one, sit down; slow song of the album that every album has that either blows you away, or sends you to sleep. This does neither, it takes you to another dimension of the album and as the seconds tick on, you want to keep exploring, and what you find is something magical. So magical that it’s almost dangerous, in fact.

“Hell” is heaven. You ever want to get lost? Like, find somewhere where nobody will find you? And then just drift away? Well, how about stay exactly where you are, and listen to this song with your eyes shut. A dark room, eyes shut, this song. Drift away now. Does it have the same effect? You bet it does.

This album’s name is perfection. Forget about its actual title. It’s perfect, seductive, intoxicating, dreamy, and so much more. Change your mind if you don’t want to listen to it, even if you just listen to the tracks I singled out, because they will be enough to convince you to listen to the album in its entirety.

Recommended if you likeDaytrader, Defeater, Gates, I Kill Giants, Annabel, Modern Baseball, Native Wildlife, Prawn, Safe, La Dispute, Pianos Become The Teeth, The Saddest Landscape, Balance and Composure

Standout TracksLiving Dead, Hell, Let's Talk About Your Hair, Cigarettes and Old Perfume
This review is a user submitted review from Geology Rocks!. You can see all of Geology Rocks!'s submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
03:06 PM on 05/19/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
That is a confusing RIYL.

EDIT: Just got finished listening. A deserving score. God review.
06:08 PM on 05/20/13
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
User Info.
COOL review
06:17 PM on 05/20/13
almightykingdom
auri cupiditatem
User Info.
Great review! I stumbled into listening to this record as I the cover caught my attention on Topshelf's site, and I am so glad that I gave it a second glance.

Quote:
“Living Dead” is probably that one, sit down; slow song of the album that every album has that either blows you away, or sends you to sleep. This does neither, it takes you to another dimension of the album and as the seconds tick on, you want to keep exploring, and what you find is something magical. So magical that it’s almost dangerous, in fact.

This track was something that stood out upon first listen. It's beautiful. On the RIYL section I would add Balance & Composure as well. "Hell" has some straight Simmons melodies on it.
12:50 AM on 05/21/13
desertlights
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Most of the time, I find that they sound like Balance and Composure, but then I also pick up a bit of Seahaven here and there. Either way, this album is fantastic and the review is very fitting.
11:19 AM on 05/22/13
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
User Info.
Just got mine in the mail, such an awesome album it's just not very good to work out to lol
06:08 PM on 05/22/13
8eautifully0ead
Taking it all in
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Most of the time, I find that they sound like Balance and Composure, but then I also pick up a bit of Seahaven here and there. Either way, this album is fantastic and the review is very fitting.
Right there with you. I also picked up some "Spirit Desire"-esque Tigers Jaw vibes on "Ancient West". I love this album, and have been listening to it faithfully since I picked it up the other day. If you like that emotionally drained and very beautiful yell/sing style, then this album will satisfy just about craving you have had for that lately. The Guitar and bass slow dance around each other, and the intricate drums drive it straight to your heart. Enjoy.
03:25 AM on 05/23/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
Thanks!

Great review! I stumbled into listening to this record as I the cover caught my attention on Topshelf's site, and I am so glad that I gave it a second glance.

This track was something that stood out upon first listen. It's beautiful. On the RIYL section I would add Balance & Composure as well. "Hell" has some straight Simmons melodies on it.
Thanks!

And I added Balance and Composure to the RIYL. Good ear.

That is a confusing RIYL.

EDIT: Just got finished listening. A deserving score. God review.
Right there with you. I also picked up some "Spirit Desire"-esque Tigers Jaw vibes on "Ancient West". I love this album, and have been listening to it faithfully since I picked it up the other day. If you like that emotionally drained and very beautiful yell/sing style, then this album will satisfy just about craving you have had for that lately. The Guitar and bass slow dance around each other, and the intricate drums drive it straight to your heart. Enjoy.
Yeah, the RIYL is a little crazy. All those bands draw similarities from each other though and that's why I think they all fit.

In saying that, Any particular band you think doesn't fit?

And thanks! I wanted to give it 10/10 but I'm not that nice
12:08 PM on 05/23/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
Thanks!

Thanks!

And I added Balance and Composure to the RIYL. Good ear.

Yeah, the RIYL is a little crazy. All those bands draw similarities from each other though and that's why I think they all fit.

In saying that, Any particular band you think doesn't fit?

And thanks! I wanted to give it 10/10 but I'm not that nice

But the RIYL makes sense though, after listening to it. Its nearly perfect. You should've given it 10/10 :)
10:14 AM on 05/24/13
Kelly Doherty
@_kellydoherty for the lolz
User Info.
Amazing album and excellent review.

GeologyRocks!, I've decided I like you a lot.
04:41 PM on 05/24/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
Amazing album and excellent review.

GeologyRocks!, I've decided I like you a lot.
Thanks!

I've decided that I'm okay with you liking me a lot
05:01 AM on 05/27/13
BomIdeossesed
User Info.
11:55 PM on 06/23/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
For all intents and purposes, I just re listened to this album after not listening to it for a while. It holds up quite nicely, in fact.
05:00 PM on 09/10/13
baton
ftfmusic.net
User Info.
late discovery, but I'm catching up - one of the best albums this year! It sounds like a mix of Balance & Composure, Old Gray, and old Taking Back Sunday to me... and now seeing the RIYL I can admit there's some post rockish guitar action in vein of Gates etc., so it's probably also something that caught my attention.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos