Password

Album Review

Holy Fuck - Holy Fuck Album Cover

Holy Fuck - Holy Fuck

Reviewed by
Holy Fuck - Holy Fuck
Record Label: Dependent Music
Release Date: October 23, 2007
I'll admit I bought this album for one reason - the band's name. I thought it would be funny or cool for me to have an album by a band called Holy Fuck. However, one day when I was bored I decided I might as well give it a listen. I never thought I'd like it and definitely didn't think I would ever listen to it again. Damn, was I wrong. These Canadians (yes, the fact that they're from Canada did influence my buying it in the first place) bring the most interesting brand of music I have heard in years.

It's pretty impossible to classify this band. On first listen they sound like they're just another electronic band. With a little bit of further research, I discovered that they use absolutely no electronic machines, no synthesizers, and no computers.

It's to hard to pinpoint whats good about all the tracks. Before I go any further I'll say this: this is an entirely instrumental album. If you're the type of person that looks away whenever they see the word "instrumental," then you're not going to like this. However, if you're looking for something new and interesting, this album is the way to go. I can't say enough about the way Holy Fuck made this album. They could have taken the easy way like so many others and just created sounds on a computer, but they didn't.

On first listen this album, for lack of a better word, perplexed me. I was astonished at the perfect mess that Holy Fuck created. It sounds so cluttered yet so planned out. It's an album that contradicts itself in such a way beautiful way. On the second listen the album just sounds amazing. It takes a little getting used to, but as soon as I did get used to it the album became an instant favorite. Every track brings something different and interesting.

Holy Fuck brings the goods. I'd be willing to say it is one of the most creative albums I've ever heard. This isn't an album that appeals to the masses, and it's not going to be the next big thing. With that said, anyone fortunate enough to stumble on Holy Fuck will be pleasantly surprised.

Recommended if You Like!!!, instrumental electro, Canadians that aren't Nickelback

myspace.com/holyfuck
This review is a user submitted review from hockeyguitar99. You can see all of hockeyguitar99's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
12:07 AM on 05/26/08
TheOtherAndrew
Hail the Bandits
User Info.
haha, Canadians that aren't Nickelback
12:56 AM on 05/26/08
Gumbyjag
Everything Evil
User Info.
hmm, i'll have to check this out, i've heard nothing but good things. thanks for the details.
11:13 AM on 05/26/08
randall814
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i have been a big fan of these guys for a little while (probably after i heard korg rhythm afro). i just saw them in detroit with M.I.A. and they were amazing. watching them play live without using any computers is great. they definitely feel it. and they all play facing each other.

what i thought was especially cool is one of the recurring sounds in their songs was created by what looks like analog tape being pulled through reels or something, i couldn't quite tell.
12:48 PM on 05/26/08
parkmeehyeon
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great review, i absolutely love this band.
12:54 AM on 05/27/08
gregisonfire
Shut up the punx
User Info.
i have been a big fan of these guys for a little while (probably after i heard korg rhythm afro). i just saw them in detroit with M.I.A. and they were amazing. watching them play live without using any computers is great. they definitely feel it. and they all play facing each other.

what i thought was especially cool is one of the recurring sounds in their songs was created by what looks like analog tape being pulled through reels or something, i couldn't quite tell.

you're right, they use an analog tape pulled through a movie projector.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos