AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Fallen from the Sky - Tonight We Radiate Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.75
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Fallen from the Sky - Tonight We Radiate

Reviewed by: newfoundmichael (05/20/08)
Fallen from the Sky - Tonight We Radiate
Record Label: Eulogy Recordings
Release Date: May 27, 2008

MTV’s Dew Circuit Breakout is a punk rock version of the ever-so-popular American Idol where bands compete for the hearts of fans watching from all over the nation. The show has been an annual contest sporting a juggernaut lineup from former years such as Taking Back Sunday, Yellowcard, Hellogoodbye, and Hawthorne Heights. One thing you may notice about these bands is their pop appeal towards a mainstream audience. Barriers were broken in 2006 when the hardcore/punk act Fallen from the Sky made it into the final three of the show, but they were eventually beaten out by Halifax. While Fallen from the Sky may have lost the Dew Circuit Breakout, they won over many new fans with the airtime they received. After two more years of hard work and determination, the band is back in action with their debut full length Tonight We Radiate.

Now ignore the name-dropping I did at the beginning where I mentioned Taking Back Sunday, Yellowcard, etc. Fallen from the Sky are anything but related to those previous acts. In fact, Fallen from the Sky would be equivalent to the kid that came on American Idol and screeched “Smashed to Pieces” by Silverstein. Tonight We Radiate is filled with so much energy and integrity that it will most likely have the listener singing along by album's end (or at least pumping their fist in the air against some type of authority). The rude awakening “Skeletons” gets things going right away with a catchy chorus and comes to an abrupt end before you even understand what has just happened clocking in just under two minutes. The highest point on the album follows this in the track. “Out of Control” begins when vocalist Ryan Loughney belts out, “The first rat to jump ship always were, always will be / Giving up, man, it’s all that you know.” Just the perfect way he places his words along with the drum and guitar pieces is admirable, and the lyrics remain inspirational in a way that would make pioneers like Minor Threat proud. Albums like this are usually required by the label to have one sing-a-long track that will hopefully increase album sales. Tonight We Radiate is no exception to this, but in their case it is done in a fantastic fashion. “Broken Bottles” is a tune that was stuck in my head after only a couple of listens and is a damn good song musically and lyrically.

Tonight We Radiate enters an already semi-popular genre and just out games the rest of the bands in it. It steers away from pointless breakdowns and lyrical nonsense and remains flawlessly produced and full of integrity. Fallen from the Sky are anything but your typical pimped out plug in MTV band. In all honesty, they are here to kick that band's ass, and I don’t think we’d have it any other way.

Recommended if You LikeA Wilhelm Scream, older Rise Against, folk-less Against Me!

myspace.com/fallenfromthesky

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10.
06:38 PM on 05/26/08
im_john_galt
User Info.
those are awful riyls. this band sounds nothing like a wilhelm scream or folk-less against me!- whatever the hell that means. i'd say my biggest turn off is that this band lacks an honest sound. too much trend.
08:09 AM on 05/28/08
mrzippo3
User Info.
JBM Records?
08:26 AM on 05/28/08
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
those are awful riyls. this band sounds nothing like a wilhelm scream or folk-less against me!- whatever the hell that means. i'd say my biggest turn off is that this band lacks an honest sound. too much trend.

I totally picked up A Wilhelm Scream vibe in the music...I doubt I'm the only one either. What would you consider posting under the RIYL?

EDIT: I know the music isn't as technical as A Wilhelm Scream, but mainly the style, agressiveness, and vocals are what I picked up on. Listen again and maybe you will hear what I'm refering to?
08:45 AM on 05/28/08
Mase714
Just a dab'll do ya
User Info.
Good review. I definitely think his vocals sound similar to AWS. I'd say they sound more like Polar Bear Club than anything, minus the slow parts PBC has. Either way, I really like this cd but I definitely think the production could've been a little better. I def. gotta catch these guys live though, I can only assume the fun on the cd translates even better live.
09:48 AM on 05/28/08
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
Good review. I definitely think his vocals sound similar to AWS. I'd say they sound more like Polar Bear Club than anything, minus the slow parts PBC has. Either way, I really like this cd but I definitely think the production could've been a little better. I def. gotta catch these guys live though, I can only assume the fun on the cd translates even better live.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've honestly never checked out Polar Bear Club, though I've heard good things. What I liked so much about the production of this album was that it wasn't overly done. An album like this sounds better somewhat rough in my opinion. If this would have been all over produced then it would have taken something away from it. The last Rise Against album would have been so much better if they would have left it a little more unpolished.
09:54 AM on 05/28/08
mattshade
Bass Makes You Dance
User Info.
Great Record, makes us old HoT Water Music fans proud.
10:29 AM on 05/28/08
Chalie22
User Info.
This record is one of my favorites of 2008 and easily reminds me of hot water music mixed with strike anywhere
01:44 PM on 05/28/08
mrzippo3
User Info.
Yes. See them. Incredible live. So much energy.
12:27 PM on 07/07/08
iloveryou
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
fallen from the sky is an awesome band who i think is honest to there music unlike some fucking gay ass new bands out there . fallen from the sky has a honest sound and there not ripping anybody off wich is awesome anybody who dosent know about them should check them out there amazing there also very nice dudes so check out the new album "tonight we radiate" and check out There New Music video for out of control
Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XtLG84q46c
and check out there myspace : www.myspace.com/fallenfromthesky
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT