AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Moose Blood - Moving Home Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Average: 79%
Inside AP.net

Moose Blood - Moving Home

Reviewed by: Zac Djamoos (05/25/13)
Moose Blood - Moving Home
Release Date: February 11, 2013
Record Label: Fist in the Air Records

I’ll be frank. When it comes to emo, I don’t want shouty music. I want to listen to someone who sounds like they’re about to break down and cry. I like sad emo music. Mineral’s my favorite band. So I don’t know why it is that I love Moose Blood so damn much.

The Canterbury, England, emo boys play a decidedly less sad style of the genre. You can hear that straight from the instrumental opener “My Own Boat,” which is full of cymbal rolls and bright, infectious guitar riffs. In fact, it might even be the catchiest instrumental song I’ve ever heard. “Evening Coffee” is another fun song, punctuated by high pitched backing vocals and a simple instrumental theme. The title track also sounds happy, with its Get Up Kids-esque introduction. The vocals are especially highlighted in “Carbis Bay,” which starts off without any instrumental introduction and features the most personal lyrics present on the EP: “I remember ghost stories that my mother told to me/ walking hills at Carbis Bay and looking at the sea/ I guess we’re not okay from all that time apart/ from when my father died/ I don’t know where to start/ how to start to feel ok.” The next song, “Drive,” goes back to the happy sound, featuring a melodic outro with the best musicianship on the album. But undoubtedly “Bukowski” is the champion here, the best song in Moose Blood’s whole eight-song discography. This track is unquestionably catchy, with hums of “oooooh” backing its singalong-ready chorus. The bridge explodes into a barrage of drumrolls and chords to lead into a quieter rendition of the chorus.

Despite how bright the music sounds, the lyrics don’t always match, as illustrated in the above excerpt from “Carbis Bay.” “Moving Home” contains more sad and self-deprecating words, such as “I’m a nervous wreck/ I’m a mess/ I’m a waste of time/ if I could ask for one thing/ it’d be a good sleep tonight.” It’s not all sad though, as the end of “Drive” comes off as exceptionally frustrated: “I guess I should let you know/ that I’m done/ and I don’t wanna see your face again.” Some other reoccurring themes are coffee, sweaters, and bands they like. I appreciate the references made, although I’m sure some could say they get old. And I know others may be put off by the obviously accented vocals, but I like them, as they sound particularly different from most other vocalists I know, let alone simply in emo.

Moose Blood’s Moving Home EP is great. It has enough hooks to appeal to the pop fan and sad enough lyrics for the emo fan to commiserate with. Aside from that, it’s just fun music. It’s going to be Moose Blood’s year, boys. (I can reference bands, too!)

“I'll introduce you to Clarity/ teach you the words to ‘The Sound of Settling/’ make you watch High Fidelity/ on a Sunday, maybe one day.”

Recommended If You Likecoffee, You Blew It!, references, The Promise Ring, sweaters, American Football

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums