Username
Password

Album Review - Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 200.
02:22 PM on 06/11/13
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
Seriously? The Drowned in Sound one is a terrible review. Awful writing and weird word choice ("the lyrical content is so wet") that the writer just throws out and neither explains or backs up with evidence. "Please Say No" a duller version of "Hear You Me"? The songs bear little similarity other than the fact that they're both ballads, and he doesn't explain why one is more or less boring than the other. The entire review plays out like a limp list of first impressions with a few descriptive terms thrown in.

The Fake DIY is better, mostly because the writer is actually decent, but the entire tone of the piece bothered me to no end. He keeps throwing out weird and not really very fitting references to their past work ("Lucky Denver Mint," "Sweetness," etc.), and he ultimately comes across as someone who has a fondness for those old records due to when he heard them first, but doesn't really have any connection to the band anymore. And that's fine on some level, but I feel like he criticizes the band here for doing the same things they've always been doing. I don't care that he dislikes the album, but the review rubs me the wrong way because he pretends like the older work is somehow exempt from those criticisms because of his own personal nostalgia. I feel like he misrepresents the album because he doesn't realize how skewed his own point of view is by personal connection.

Well the first review is not in depth or anything for sure. Nor is it great writing, I agree. Maybe the tone of the 2nd review doesn't really bug me cause by and large, I feel the same way about JEW that you think that reviewer does. I think a 9.5 is a bit high for this album (I know that's not the important part and yours is a very good review btw, I appreciate how in-depth AP's reviews usually are). It's impossible to not judge a band against their own past work. I'm digging the record so far, whereas I didn't the last two, and I'm stoked about that. Not that I think they're bad albums by any means, but I just could never get into them. Damage doesn't hold a candle to Bleed American or Futures after a few listens, I think this one falls just short of special but lasting value may bump it up. We shall see.
03:22 PM on 06/11/13
fran.182
Euphoric disconnection
User Info.
Rolling Stone reviews are awful for the most part. There's no content...
03:54 PM on 06/11/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Well the first review is not in depth or anything for sure. Nor is it great writing, I agree. Maybe the tone of the 2nd review doesn't really bug me cause by and large, I feel the same way about JEW that you think that reviewer does. I think a 9.5 is a bit high for this album (I know that's not the important part and yours is a very good review btw, I appreciate how in-depth AP's reviews usually are). It's impossible to not judge a band against their own past work. I'm digging the record so far, whereas I didn't the last two, and I'm stoked about that. Not that I think they're bad albums by any means, but I just could never get into them. Damage doesn't hold a candle to Bleed American or Futures after a few listens, I think this one falls just short of special but lasting value may bump it up. We shall see.

Oh, I absolutely think judging bands against their past work is important, but I felt like that guy 1) didn't know he was doing it, and 2) doesn't understand that, for this band, what really matters is when you first got into them. As someone whose own emotional connection to this group came with Futures, I've never held Bleed or Clarity in the same sky-high regard that a lot of people do. With that said, they're still great records, and I would never give them poor reviews because I don't have the same emotional connection to them that I do to their later records. I feel like this guy isn't giving the same benefit to Damage, and it colors his review. And I genuinely think that, from a songwriting perspective and an album making perspective, this set is about as good as anything they've ever done.
05:02 PM on 06/11/13
Zack Haughton
The song that goes like danananana
User Info.
Album is good but nowhere near a 95, come on now.

Review is so overlong and fanboyish, it reminds me why I only use this site for its forums and news. Seriously, I understand that you want to go a more subjective route with your review but this is some seriously indulgent shit.

Keep it in your pants
05:04 PM on 06/11/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I liked the album at first than after a few car ride with it I really grew to love this album. It is just what I would expect from Jimmy Eat World. Its far from a classic by them or groundbreaking but it is very fun. Anyone calling it boring must of only heard the online stream once while tired or something. There is a nice mix of songs on the album and the acoustic numbers are truly gems in their discography. Someone said "Please Say No" is just a watered down but "Hear You Me" but the subject matter is completely different. The acoustic nature of the songs are the only similarities. Personally this album is a blast and unlike 'Invented', which I also grew to love, this album is a lot more accessible. Invented grew to be my night album or when I am in the mood for something relaxing.

'Damage' is super cohesive and despite the closer being one of their weaker ones it is the kind of album that it is easy to pick favorites or just listen to the whole thing and let it repeat. Chase This Light will always be my favorite but Damage is basically some of the best parts of their last 3 albums fused.

I would personally give it an 8.5 but I agree that its really good. Heck Jimmy Eat World wrote it. It may not be everyone's favorite but the band put alot into it and it shows. They are not changing their sound or the state of rock but releasing a fun album that will make a bunch of people's summer playlists and will produce some live fan favorites.
06:27 PM on 06/11/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Album is good but nowhere near a 95, come on now.

Review is so overlong and fanboyish, it reminds me why I only use this site for its forums and news. Seriously, I understand that you want to go a more subjective route with your review but this is some seriously indulgent shit.

Keep it in your pants

Thank you for proving the point of the first two paragraphs. Acting like someone else's conception of a 95 is somehow "wrong" and pretending that any review can take anything but a "subjective route." I wrote from the only angle a reviewer can: my own. If that makes me indulgent, so be it.
06:36 PM on 06/11/13
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
One of the better reviews I've read on this site. Good stuff, Craig!
06:54 PM on 06/11/13
steve-0
i think youre an idiot
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wish I liked it more.... The hooks just aren't....hooking. So far, my least favorite JEW album....
07:13 PM on 06/11/13
NationalProduct
User Info.
really feeling this release!
08:05 PM on 06/11/13
bhs1158
hold high how faint your reasons
User Info.
Wish I liked it more.... The hooks just aren't....hooking. So far, my least favorite JEW album....
As much as I want to force myself to like it just because it's a Jimmy Eat World record, I agree with you 100%. I love this band's older stuff but the last three albums have done very little for me.
10:34 PM on 06/11/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
Anyone notice they brought back the swish in the 'O' on the artwork that was used on chase this light. I ended listening to Chase This Light and Damage LPs today and noticed it.
08:17 AM on 06/12/13
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
Still a little unsure on this album. I am old enough to have gotten in to them early on with Clarity (I say old-enough specifically so that no one thinks I believe I am "cooler" or "better" for having gotten into them back then). I enjoyed all of their new records (to varying degrees of course) the most up through and including Chase This Light.

However, both Invented and now Damage fell fairly flat to me on initial listens. Invented grew on me a LITTLE bit but still nothing like their previous work. I'm hoping Damage grows on me a lot more, but right now I like some individual songs but couldn't give the overall album anything higher than a 7 maybe personally.
09:10 AM on 06/12/13
jorbjorb
User Info.
tracks 7 and 8 friggen JAM
12:50 PM on 06/12/13
domotime2
Like You Know Whatever
User Info.
sigh, I guess sometimes albums can hit people differently..... to me, I don't know what to say, this is not my cup of tea. I can't think of another way to describe it other than boring, I have no memory of any chorus (and I just listened to the entire album). If this album makes you feel a certain way, then all the power to you, but as a casual JEW fan this was a very forgetful release for me.
01:07 PM on 06/12/13
tmathews
User Info.
does anyone have the alternate version of You Were Good and the bonus track Step One people have been talking about?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums