Password

Album Review

1997 - On the Run Album Cover

1997 - On the Run

Reviewed by
1997 - On the Run
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: May 27, 2008
Today's music always seems to be split across gender lines. There's music that girls are supposed to like and music that guys are supposed to like. While it's never really been important to me, it's obvious that it's there. A defining rule of that line is that boys shouldn't listen to bands with female singers. However, most people (who play by these gender rules) would say that most bands with a male singer (excluding a few) are alright. 1997 bend these rules by incorporating both male and female voices.

To a certain point I feel that the expectations that I had for this album were unfairly high. The reason for this had nothing to do with 1997 or their music. I wanted them to make what I thought The Hush Sound should have made. I was hoping The Hush Sound would balance out the male and female vocals. I was hoping The Hush Sound would diversify their music a little bit. The Hush Sound didn't deliver by my standards; 1997 did.

On the Run is an album that fuses the worlds of indie, pop, alternative, and even a little country. With so many influences it's hard to grasp them on the first listen. While the album grabbed my attention with its tempo and vocal changes as well as its hooky choruses, it took a second listen to really enjoy this album.

On their first effort every thing was kept relatively simple. The guitar work on this album is much improved. While it's nothing overtly spectacular, it is certainly something notable. As far as expectations go, mine were exceeded in this category. The drums are very crisp as well as precise. They aren't complicated or intriguing, but I think that anything different wouldn't have fit this album.

The way 1997 utilizes their two singers is spectacular. While Kevin Thomas has a very modest voice, Alida Marroni has a very big and almost soulful one. The contrast between these two is a great addition to this record. A lot of the songs contain Thomas singing through the verse over heavier instrumentation and Marroni singing in the choruses over very pop influenced music. The best way they use both of their vocals is on the track "4 A.M. Conversation." Through the pre-chorus they have a conversation sung between the two that reflects on an argument between a couple. Hopefully, they will record more tracks like this on future endeavors.

This record is indie pop at it's best. While at times tracks on this album seem misguided, when I listen to it as a whole it became obvious that On the Run turned out exactly as the band wanted it to. The multiple influences show 1997 have matured and will hopefully continue maturing throughout their career.

Standout Tracks"One Track Mind, Four Track Heart," "4 A.M. Conversation," "Winds of Change," "Dancing with the Devil"

Recommended if You LikeThe Hush Sound, Paramore + Death Cab for Cutie, unique indie pop

myspace.com/nineteenninetyseven
This review is a user submitted review from hockeyguitar99. You can see all of hockeyguitar99's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
02:01 AM on 06/06/08
ThankQ4DVenom
graphic & web designer
User Info.
i totally agree with everything you've said.
i went to the bands CD release show tonight and they were beyond my expectations.
1997 has shown growth and maturity. hush sound gave a bland wanna be blues record.

The thing that people don't understand is that A LOT of people were expecting Kerri (the girl who recorded on the last CD) style vocals. there is NOTHING wrong with Alida's voice, people are being too critical.
02:04 AM on 06/06/08
kigginsthisprov
themichaelkiggins.tumblr. com
User Info.
You really changed my mind and now I am going to buy this album. And I agree with you on pretty much everything about the whole female singer part. And to do with the Hush Sound, I think they're new album is their best work yet but it really isn't a balance. So great job on your review!
03:33 AM on 06/06/08
Spadde
User Info.
You're 100% right. As far as indie-pop goes, this album definitely takes the cake.
05:49 AM on 06/06/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
i totally agree with everything you've said.
i went to the bands CD release show tonight and they were beyond my expectations.
1997 has shown growth and maturity. hush sound gave a bland wanna be blues record.

The thing that people don't understand is that A LOT of people were expecting Kerri (the girl who recorded on the last CD) style vocals. there is NOTHING wrong with Alida's voice, people are being too critical.
I saw them last july and loved the way Alida performed kerri's vocals. I think Alida has a better voice and it brings more contrast to their sound
06:32 AM on 06/06/08
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
There's actually 3 singers in 1997
10:11 AM on 06/06/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
There's actually 3 singers in 1997

When I saw them there were only teo singers and I only heard two singers on the album...
01:15 PM on 06/06/08
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
When I saw them there were only teo singers and I only heard two singers on the album...

Caleb(guitar/vocals) sings lead on a couple songs/backing on mostly all.

See the new video for clarification. He sings lead on it, Alida does backing, and Kevin(primary lead) doesn't sing at all.

Just curious...Where did you see them at? You're from my area and I've been to mostly all the shows they've played in the past year.
01:57 PM on 06/06/08
ThankQ4DVenom
graphic & web designer
User Info.
I saw them last july and loved the way Alida performed kerri's vocals. I think Alida has a better voice and it brings more contrast to their sound

Alida use to be an Opera major if i remember correctly. Her voice has power behind it and she knows how to use it.

i totally agree with you on that.
09:08 PM on 07/03/08
Sandie-Jenkins
Ignore the chiodos SN, this is old.
User Info.

noooooooo

there's kevin, the lead guy, alida, obviously, and caleb the guitar player. he sings alot too. he sings the verses on one track mind, dancing with the devil, all of january 19th, all the male vocals on tennesse song pt 2, and all of on the run.
10:29 PM on 07/12/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
You can def hear 3 singers. lol.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version