AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Hush Hush, Commotion - It Could Happen... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 7
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 6.25
Final Verdict: 73%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 8.88
Production 8.63
Creativity 9.63
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 91%

Hush Hush, Commotion - It Could Happen...

Reviewed by: Klatzke (06/03/08)
Hush Hush, Commotion - It Could Happen...
Record Label: None
Release Date: July 2007

Who?

Criminally unsigned indie-pop rockers from Oklahoma City who've made themselves a place in the scene by playing with large acts such as Shiny Toy Guns and The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.

How is it?

Overall it's one of the most solid EP's Iíve heard in awhile. It Could Happen... shows a more mature, but fun, sound than some bands even achieve on their first full-length. The second song ("The Last Waltz") is the most forgettable of any of the five on the EP; it's sound doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the songs from the release. "The One That Got Away" has particularly catchy verses that will be stuck in your head for days. "Relapsing Habits" displays this band at their top form and its first verse, with its accompanying piano melody, is ridiculously catchy. "At Your Expense" is a sweet little indie-pop gem that reminds me of Shiny Toy Guns (minus the techno). The hidden track at the end is the only acoustic piece on the release.

Every song has at least above average lyrics. Out of "Relapsing Habits," for example: "I have become a mirror image of my former self / Relapsing habits of destruction are the story I tell / I need that feeling deep inside my veins / I need your face, I need your taste to take away my pain." Their melodies are immensely entertaining; the places where the keyboard and piano are present are even more memorable (but maybe that's just because I'm a fool for a good piano-based song).

All in all, Hush Hush, Commotion are anything but quiet. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take the pop scene by storm, and hey, It Could Happen...

Standout Tracks"Relapsing Habits," "The One That Got Away"

Recommended if You LikeAll the Day Holiday, Shiny Toy Guns, Cartel, Copeland (but spunkier!)

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
08:47 AM on 06/20/08
sodamnclever
it's a sign, bro.
User Info.
these guys are great.
i'm really enjoying the EP.
10:52 AM on 06/21/08
cree_stof
Hi, Everything's Great.
User Info.
thanks for the review! come and check us out at a show if we're ever in your area.
01:02 AM on 04/30/09
eliselovesmusic
Yes, I am a registered user.
User Info.
Freaking loving this band at the moment. Well done to the guys for the new album release.

I gotta agree - Relapsing Habits is definitley one of the better songs to come out of pop/punk recently (note that I am comparing them to FOB here haha). It could probably pass as a descent single. Keep it up HHC
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests