07:01 AM on 06/13/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I'm crying
07:07 AM on 06/13/13
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Something told me I should've bit when it was $100.
07:35 AM on 06/13/13
reid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I guess I'll be that guy, who are The Replacements? Genuinely curious about their history/influence if anyone wants to fill me in.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rep...band%29#Legacy

just a small idea. Paul Westerberg, man.
07:46 AM on 06/13/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I guess I'll be that guy, who are The Replacements? Genuinely curious about their history/influence if anyone wants to fill me in.

Just go buy Tim and Let It Be.
07:47 AM on 06/13/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Nope. Right there with you. Listened to a few of their songs and nothing jumped out at me as great by any means. Maybe I just didn't hear the right ones?

What did you listen to
10:08 AM on 06/13/13
chordsforacure
Host of the Saint Mort Show!
User Info.
Can't Hardly Wait
12:22 PM on 06/13/13
sondidecaro
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Besides the amazingness of the replacements reuniting and playing, I am almost tempted to fly from Seattle to Toronto just to see Grade play live, such an underrated and influential band.
03:59 PM on 06/13/13
fearthesloths
blown from the hinge
User Info.
wow Toronto, you got fucked in my opinion. Denver got the type of line-up I was expecting. A solid B+ version of the Chicago lineup.... but Toronto got skate and surf bands + replacements
yeah... i was pretty stoked about Riot Fest after they announced it was coming to Toronto and seeing the Chicago Lineup...

After seeing the Toronto lineup i don't even want to go.
04:35 PM on 06/13/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
Many consider them the first American "indie" band, since they were somewhat part of the early 80s hardcore scene, but didn't really play hardcore punk. They played rock and roll with a punk edge. In that alone they were hugely influential. When the other seminal bands of that era's indie scene started branching out from the standard hardcore sound, the Replacements were already writing songs like Unsatisfied. Listen to that song right now.

Okay, keep listening.

Keep listening.

Okay? Okay.

They dropped a few absolutely classic albums and also embodied the punk spirit more than most other bands. Their live shows were often drunk and sloppy, but in a fun and chaotic way. It was all part of their charm. Ultimately with their songwriting skills they could have been one of the most popular bands of their era but the major label suits couldn't control them.

Now listen to Unsatisfied again. Compare it with Husker Du (the other great Minneapolis-ish punk band) and their song Chartered Trips. It's a great song and was one of many off that album considered to be expanding and improving the hardcore punk sound template. The Replacements were miles ahead, they sound at least 10 years ahead of their time. This was 1984.
05:07 PM on 06/13/13
schmagoolz
User Info.
Hope some dates are added.
07:38 PM on 06/13/13
GlassyLight
King of Wrangling
User Info.
Many consider them the first American "indie" band, since they were somewhat part of the early 80s hardcore scene, but didn't really play hardcore punk. They played rock and roll with a punk edge. In that alone they were hugely influential. When the other seminal bands of that era's indie scene started branching out from the standard hardcore sound, the Replacements were already writing songs like Unsatisfied. Listen to that song right now.

Okay, keep listening.

Keep listening.

Okay? Okay.

They dropped a few absolutely classic albums and also embodied the punk spirit more than most other bands. Their live shows were often drunk and sloppy, but in a fun and chaotic way. It was all part of their charm. Ultimately with their songwriting skills they could have been one of the most popular bands of their era but the major label suits couldn't control them.

Now listen to Unsatisfied again. Compare it with Husker Du (the other great Minneapolis-ish punk band) and their song Chartered Trips. It's a great song and was one of many off that album considered to be expanding and improving the hardcore punk sound template. The Replacements were miles ahead, they sound at least 10 years ahead of their time. This was 1984.
What this guy said.

Also, if you can't be bothered to Spotify Tim and Let It Be, there's a pretty well put-together compilation called "Don't You Know Who I Think I Was?" that's got a pretty good mix of the 'hits' and the lesser known stuff.

10 songs to listen to immediately to get a feel:

Kids Don't Follow
I Will Dare
Unsatisfied
Bastards of Young
Left of the Dial
Here Comes A Regular
Alex Chilton
Can't Hardly Wait
Achin' To Be
Merry Go Round
08:40 AM on 06/14/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.

Okay, keep listening.

Keep listening.

Okay? Okay.

Thanks for this.

Minneapolis native and this news literally almost made me cry.
02:07 PM on 06/14/13
KeyofCrime
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm surprised no one here had mentioned the fact that half the band is dead. In wonder who the... Replacement... Musicians will be... Seriously though. Some tough shoes to fill.
03:50 PM on 06/16/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
Thanks for this.

Minneapolis native and this news literally almost made me cry.
No probs, I'm not even from the states but have read up. Honestly haven't listened to the Mats as much as the Du but that will change after I finish reading "story of the noise pop pioneers". I'm slowly working my way through all the bands from "our band could be your life" and digging deeper. If you've read it, you would know the Mats are up next!
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests