Username
Password

Comments: Page 4
Displaying posts 45 - 60 of 78
06:21 PM on 06/26/13
CBKRP
Registered Member
User Info.
This is awful, I should of quit listening to these guys after Five Score and Seven Years Ago.
06:28 PM on 06/26/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Interesting take on it, but he was referring to 'Young Relient K' as in 'Young New England', by Transit...not a literal young Relient K. Another large disappointment this year.
Yep... hahahaha
06:49 PM on 06/26/13
anamericangod
User Info.
Interesting take on it, but he was referring to 'Young Relient K' as in 'Young New England', by Transit...not a literal young Relient K. Another large disappointment this year.
Forgot that album even existed.
07:21 PM on 06/26/13
Itsthewildcat
User Info.
Really excited about the release of this new album, collapsible lung.... Sounds good, and theres some catchy pop songs on it, its different than anything else they've done up to this point...
07:38 PM on 06/26/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
This is awful, I should of quit listening to these guys after Five Score and Seven Years Ago.
before they put out their best record? that would have been a bad move.
07:44 PM on 06/26/13
Slangster
Kill the lights, I've seen too much
User Info.
What SpyKi said.

Also, it's "should have" not "should of".

/pet peeve
07:46 PM on 06/26/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
What SpyKi said.

Also, it's "should have" not "should of".

/pet peeve
Haha, I hate "should of".
07:49 PM on 06/26/13
Slangster
Kill the lights, I've seen too much
User Info.
Haha, I hate "should of".
It literally makes me cringe when I read it haha.
08:20 PM on 06/26/13
sammyboy516
User Info.
See, I can understand young RK being terrible. Matt was a teenager and super into god and youth group and being cheesy. He was young, just like the band and the lyrics reflected that. And over the years, each release was leaps and bounds better lyrically than what came before. You don't find a degression in lyrical quality as you move down their discography.

This is what people are complaining about. The music is fine, like everyone has said RK has always had some sort of pop laying underneath their songs. It's not surprising to hear synths in an RK release, what is surprising is that they chose now to do so. After the most instrumentally "pure" record they've done, with the most orchestration (other than Deathbed), and the most meaningful lyrics they've ever done, they follow it up with just words.

They don't mean anything, they don't ignite some passion from inside Thiessen, they don't inspire or cause me to sing out in my car, tingling inside because I can feel what Matt feels, no. They don't do anything. No line serves a purpose, no phrase holds any weight. It's just words. Not even words from Matt, they're just words from people who were apart of the process. It's disappointing. I get that Matt wanted a buffer, I really do. I would be fine if they kept all the same songs and the music, but a buffer record doesn't have to be flat and trite. He can still sing fun pop songs with substance. He just didn't do it.

And you know what, I really don't even care. I don't listen to this record any more. RK isn't even releasing it in stores. They don't seem to really care either. And I've talked to people. Matt knows what he did and is doing. He gets it. But, it's something he said he had to do. And I trust Matt, I'm just disappointed that he thought this was good enough to release. However, I get the sense that the next record is going to more than make up for this one small blip on an otherwise great run for the band.
Really, really well said.

As for that bold part - I find that really interesting. I know you've been saying you know people who know that band so your insight has been interesting to hear. What do you mean by "he knows what he did and is doing?" You're right - if he completely gets where people are coming from with their disappointment/confusion about this album (or maybe he even agrees with it?) I find it very odd, maybe even unsettling, that he wanted to release it in the first place.
08:28 PM on 06/26/13
dylanagibson
The Littlest Things
User Info.
Really, really well said.

As for that bold part - I find that really interesting. I know you've been saying you know people who know that band so your insight has been interesting to hear. What do you mean by "he knows what he did and is doing?" You're right - if he completely gets where people are coming from with their disappointment/confusion about this album (or maybe he even agrees with it?) I find it very odd, maybe even unsettling, that he wanted to release it in the first place.
I keep bringing this up, but the fact that he compares it to Southern Accents by Tom Petty and pre-faces it with "A bad Tom Petty album..." shows he knows enough.
08:43 PM on 06/26/13
CBKRP
Registered Member
User Info.
before they put out their best record? that would have been a bad move.
Forget and not slow down was just ok to me and thats about it. I know my grammar pretty much sucks and always has haha
08:46 PM on 06/26/13
sammyboy516
User Info.
I keep bringing this up, but the fact that he compares it to Southern Accents by Tom Petty and pre-faces it with "A bad Tom Petty album..." shows he knows enough.
Yah I agree. It was odd for him to admit that openly in an interview.
08:51 PM on 06/26/13
anamericangod
User Info.
Not sure what that bolded part is supposed to mean.
08:54 PM on 06/26/13
The Grey Man
Team Larz
User Info.
I enjoy the record for what it is. Actually think I enjoy PTL and If I Could Take You Home the most.
08:57 PM on 06/26/13
Greg
User Info.
Yah I agree. It was odd for him to admit that openly in an interview.
Yea, I'm not sure I've ever heard a band openly say, "this is our bad album". Especially before the album is even out.

I've seen bands say in retrospect mistakes they've made with records, but this was def different.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos